The Stain

June 4th, 2013

The Stain - Black And White

Nothing to be ashamed of.

(submitted by Clara)

95 Responses to “The Stain”

1. Cat says:

Girls didn’t always start menses older – my mother started when she was only 9 years old, most girls I knew growing up (i’m 45) started around 12-13, my daughter was also 13 & so was my Nanna. I had a SIL who started at 16. So to say that girls are starting earlier these days is a load of crap.

2. Eileen says:

Looks like some gangster got shot & hid out in their shack!

3. Amy says:

Clearly, they’ve murdered all of the males in the family.

4. bipson101 says:

why are we all assuming the stain is red?

5. Erik says:

In parts of Scandinavia (possibly also elsewhere), it used to be tradition to display blood stained sheets outside the house the morning after a wedding night in order to prove the bride’s virtue.

6. melissa says:

the blood spatter is fake. the box is a camera and looks like a joke.

7. Lori says:

In reference to the woman (Dee), who stated that the “Wedding Night” couldn’t have done this…I have to say you are incorrect about that. I know this for a fact because that is what my sheets looked like after I had mine…thank the Lord I had a mattress protector on mine, or I would have had to buy a new one!! Every woman is different and for some it is a pin prick or blood, but for others there is a reservoir.

8. Jodie says:

Wedding night!

9. Anna Haillie says:

10. FettFan says:

Seven Lovely Wives
    Some Fat, Some Thin
    Six Of Them Were Faithful
    But the Seventh Did Him In!

11. amburger says:

They probably we all born on it and they washed and reused it because they didn’t want to ruin more mattresses, plus it could be sentimental somehow.

12. Dee says:

I sure do wish Clara would end this mystery for us!! I can only speculate, but I’m pretty sure that we can rule out multible child deliveries (you cannot reuse a mattress that bloody; it would be covered with maggots within a few days, and decaying blood smells as bad as decaying flesh). Normal child birth (one without hemorhaging) does not produce this much blood–nor does menses! And as for the speculation that it could be a ‘wedding night’ stain, I can only say ‘My Lord, it is the hymen that’s broken, (little more than a pin-prick of blood—no pun intended, heh heh heh) not an artery!!!

13. ninedaysjane says:

This photo looks like it was taken in the 50s. By then even women in fairly rural areas were giving birth in hospitals, and from the looks of these girls (and their access to portable cameras), I doubt they were living in the boonies and even if they were, they were certainly capable of making another mattress. They didn’t need to reuse them. My mom, who grew up in the 50s and 60s and lived in the country when she was a small child, thinks they were having a laugh over an unfortunate bedwetting incident. Or maybe the dog climbed up on one the girls’ beds and had puppies. It certainly looks more like it came from a kid’s bed than an adult’s.

Or they’re cannibals.

14. Kendra says:

My guess: they were all born on that mattress.

15. Ken says:

Two words….. Chili Night

16. Kristi says:

Seriously, please explain.

17. Trevoli Welsh says:

I’m just happy this photo isn’t in color. That would be even more disturbing.

18. Marydisposition says:

The box just looks like it’s just a Brownie camera–they’re probably taking turns getting pics. It looks like they’ve hitched the mattress over a drying line. The two gals on the left look like sisters (and the one underneath maybe also). I’m guessing it’s a prank–they look too old to be “celebrating” or gagging a menses. It was wasn’t uncommon to start menses around 15-17, even 18 if you had poorer health, but they look too physically mature. The one underneath is the only one that looks young enough–I could imagine my grandma and great aunts putting some stuff in one of the others’ beds to freak ‘em out for fun.

• RobiDon says:

Menses starts earlier these days because we are eating more animal protein than ever before. Not only does menses start earlier, but eating animal protein causes us to grow larger. When Japanese people moved from to Hawaii and started eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) which has way more animal protein than the traditional Japanese diet (maybe not so much these days) their children, raised largely on the SAD, grew bigger than their parents. This is because of animal protein is considered to have a higher biological value than plant protein, which explains the greater growth. But as in all things, growth as a value is problematic. For women, it leads to earlier menses and later menopause, neither of which is seen as being beneficial for them. In short, unless there is some medical problem, later menses is healthier.

• Lady says:

Having had a heavy period for many years – if that is blood, it’s way too much to be menstral blood. It may seem like a lot but it’s usually only a few teaspoons at a time that comes out…

19. Angela says:

The girl under the mattress reminds me of the girl from the movie The Ring. Creepy!!

20. Tim says:

I’ve seen pro bass fishers with 100+ lb catches less proud in similar photographs.

21. Shell says:

Please AFP, contact Clara and ask for the story behind this photo! We are dying to know!!

22. Drehcir says:

Clara showing off the mattress the morning after the most awkward and painful wedding night ever?

• DOTTIE says:

I have to agree with you, Drehcir. Being a “Virgin” during that time frame was suppose to be the “norm” and I’m going to say that this poor woman had some Wedding Night which may have haunted her for the rest of her life.

We really do need the true background for this photo!

23. Ria says:

Maybe part of a home-made haunted house?

24. Cayne says:

The woman on the right — what is that strip of white coming from under her left arm going across the front of her arm, and what is that little box she’s holding, and what’s with the pillow? No stain, but obviously important to the participants in the photo. Lots of question, but at least they’re all quite jolly.

• MB says:

The white strip under her arm just looks like an artifact from scanning the photo to digital, i.e., nothing that was actually in the photo, and I’m pretty sure the box she’s holding is a Kodak Brownie camera… As to the rest, no idea :)

25. Rightwinger says:

26. Cordelia says:

I think it was used in a horrible childbirth, where the mother or baby (or both) nearly died. But they lived, hence they are all happy and showing off all the blood.

27. dvz says:

I think they were having a lark. Women did have a sense of humour even back then. Shocking, I know.

28. Becky says:

I know the parents of the bride would supposedly parade bloodstained sheets around town the day after the wedding night. But I cannot imagine any wedding night producing that level of staining. I could see it also being their attempt to make light of that practice, too. It looks terrible- hoping it is just paint or mud!

29. henson says:

quite the consumation

30. Voxer says:

“…and this is where that nice girl Carrie slept after she came home from the prom!”

31. Kyle says:

The Van Helsing sisters after the grand opening of their new Hotel Nosferatu.

32. senateur dupont says:

The sisterhood of the travelling mattress!

33. Lindsay says:

Seriously, did someone get murdered on that mattress or something?

34. The Arquette Sisters says:

The 50 Foot Woman is kinda messy.

35. B says:

…Next week on Game Of Thrones…
    After the Red Wedding

36. D-BRYAN says:

37. Karin says:

I thought of the childbirth possibility too, but I don’t think women of that era would be posing with a blood stained mattress for that reason. Those things were usually kept very private.

38. Shelly says:

Oh Clara, please please please give us the story of the stain. Don’t leave us hanging!

39. rach says:

it looks like a one time stain but I’ve always wanted to know what it was from. I was thinking childbirth too but then would that be something they’d photograph back in the day? It also looks like there was some dragging involved too from the stain. I see the pillow was needed too.. interesting. The one under the mattress is pretty brave. Yuck

40. daisy says:

maybe they’ve just killed their husband who was secretly married to all af them…

41. Jane H says:

My guess is that they’re on a trip & they found this in the cabin they’re going to stay in. Or they’re moving into a new house & found it inside. Maybe they’re on some kind of macabre tour of where people have been murdered? LOL.

42. AB says:

Maybe they are celebrating getting a new mattress! Woo Hoo! We don’t have to sleep on this anymore!

43. glasstabletop says:

That is a classic.

44. connie says:

Clara needs to explain this!

45. what the... says:

Murder mattress? Or did one of them suddenly enter womanhood and have a super period?

46. Mistie says:

It appears that this is a mattress stained from multiple childbirths. All of these women are happy and possibly celebrating this. Maybe all of the women in this photo have something to do with it, like maybe they were all born on it?Seems interesting to me.

47. toes says:

Heck of a wedding night!

48. Mistie says:

Maybe Clara can shine some light on this photo.

49. Mistie says:

That is probably a stain of blood from childbirth. It could be from an injury of some sor, but it is likely from childbirth, multiple childbirths at that. Maybe from a mother of multiple children, maybe all those women have something to do with that mattress, like they were all born on it or something. It looks like they are all happy and maybe celebrating it, so it’s not likely that it came from an injury.

50. Jane says:

NEVER…. sleep over with cannibals!