Groundhog Day

July 3rd, 2013

Groundhog Day - Photos

We applaud anyone who is willing to wear the same outfit for 40 years. Congratulations, Dale Irby.

(via Dallas News)

44 Responses to “Groundhog Day”

1. Martha says:

My former teacher, Mr Cessna, wore the same thing every day until Christmas break. ( Yes, we called it Christmas back then!). Sweat stains, BO, coffee drips… Excellent Science teacher. Very smelly classroom.

2. HForth says:

Actually, without his glasses, he is kind of cute – if he’d worn a nice shirt and jacket combo, I think he’d had been quite handsome. As it is, I see a very gentle person and had a picture taken in what he was comfortable wearing.

3. Dawn says:

For people wondering how it lasted 40 years, the sweaters are different colors, so it is the same style and they are all brown, but the colors vary.

• Adam says:

Oy…really, you think it’s different vests (SMF)?! It’s obviously the same vest, it just appears to be a different shade of brown because of different lighting, cameras, 40 years of photography technology, etc.

• Ken says:

The sweater is the same. Seriously look at it; The V-neck is exactly the same. The color differences are just due to the lighting.

Seriously, I can’t go to the store and find the same style of underwear after six months.

• Elayne says:

I think he must have stocked up on a lifetime supply at a sale at some point, because I can’t imagine a sweater staying in such impeccable condition for 40 years. I can’t even keep a shirt I don’t wear everyday in decent condition for more than a few months.

• Holly says:

It is the same sweater. I read about this a long time ago. The teacher was dared to wear the same outfit for two years in a row and he thought it was funny so he kept the tradition.

4. theresa says:

Same glasses too…

5. Laure says:

Can you imagine how many times that outfit has been washed and wonder to yourself how it didn’t fall apart in 40 years?! Lol! Just goes to show, they really did make things better back in the day!

6. Jex says:

That is IMPRESSIVE! Give that man a cookie!

7. Walter Dedmen says:

When you reach max level…

8. Tim says:

I wish I would have thought of this when I started teaching in 1989. Very cool.

9. DebbieLG says:

I LOVE this! Thanks for posting all 40 pictures!!! I think I would have liked to have him for a teacher. Great sense of humour!

10. Haggie says:

Homeliness, unlike a fine wine, does not improve with age…

11. GiGi says:

Awesome!! Brought a smile to my face : ) what a wonderful sense of humor!!

12. Ginny says:

I like how he shaved the mustache for one year, and one year only. That was his experimental stage.

13. Darlene says:

My son has worn the same color shirt for his school picture for 6 years. It too started as an accident and then we did it on purpose. Now that he too wears glasses it will be fun to see the change over the years.

14. Andy says:

Mr. Irby for President!

15. flouga says:

and the most amazing is that he has exactly the same head for 40 years.but i don t know if it s a good idea(!)

16. KC says:

He shouldn’t be applauded just for the hilarity of his year book outfit. But a teacher for 40 years is a pretty big feat too. His daughter is also a teacher and wore the outfit in a yearbook photo too.

17. Lindsay says:

I read in a news article that he unintentionally wore the same outfit for the first two years. Then his wife pointed it out to him and remarked that it would be funny if he wore it again the third year. So he did. And after that, he just kept doing it. Awesome!

18. Melissa says:

I saw a post about this, apparently he accidently wore the same outfit the first two years in a row for the yearbook, then decided as a joke to keep wearing it every year after.

19. Becky says:

What’s with picture #3, no mustache?

• Shari says:

he probably did what my dad did all of once in my life… shaved it off, got teased about it, grew it back and never another word was spoken of it

• Prunella says:

Actually, I believe the no-’stache photo is the FIRST year. For some reason, it got stuck in year 3. In other composites I’ve seen, no-’stache was the very first picture. I think he’s channeling actor Anthony Edwards in that photo.

20. M says:

I am amazed it still fit!

21. LKT says:

Did he do that as a joke or he never wore anything else…everyday?

22. Big Al says:

I’ll applaud anyone who can FIT in the same outfit for 40 years…

23. Linda says:

That’s awesome that he could still fit in the same outfit all those years!

24. Becki says:

This is EPIC! I wish he had been my teacher!

25. donv says:

Kudos to any dude that can FIT into the same shirt for forty years!!

26. Colleen says:

Same hairline, outfit and dedication to his students for 40 years, what’s not to love about Dale?

27. Jeetje says:

And the best one is the one without the moustache

28. Lisa says:

This is great! I saw the pictures in a blog post earlier today. I don’t think these are all in the right order, though… in the last picture he’s wearing old-school glasses and he looks younger than in some of the pictures right before it. And the early pictures are not in the same order as they were in the blog post. Great collage, though, and a great idea!

• Mary says:

Could you blame him for not getting them in exactly the right order? Congratulations Mr. Irby on your career!