Civil Bore

July 23rd, 2013

Civil Bore - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is a photo of myself from 1995. That year, we took a family trip to the Civil War reenactment in Gettysburg, PA. This man is General Grant. My father is behind the camera saying, “We’re having fun!” It was probably about 102 degrees out that day and no, I was not having fun.”

(submitted by Annie)

15 Responses to “Civil Bore”

1. LizaJane says:

Whoever he’s supposed to be, he looks like Kurt Russell.

2. Angus says:

Thanks for finally writing about > Behind The Awkwardness: Civil Bore

3. Cleo says:

Thanks for finally writing about > Behind The Awkwardness: Civil Bore

4. Christina says:

If it was 102 degrees, why the heck did you have a blanket?

5. Chris says:

Actually, I think that supposed to be Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, Colonel of the 20th Maine and Hero of Little Round Top. He won a Medal of Honor for saving the Union left flank on July 2, 1863.

6. Matt says:

Grant was not at Gettysburg….. And he was known to not take pride in his appearance. Just saying…

7. Brian says:

This photo is not awkward. If it is, then this site needs to be posting about a million pics a day to be consistent.

8. Kimm says:

I bet you were having more fun than a man in full Civil War dress in 102 degree heat was having.

• Kristi says:

Exactly what I was thinking. My family does Rev. War reenactments (not the military part, but in the encampment), and on the hot weekends, wearing all the layers to dress period correct just sucks. My dad is a blacksmith and stands in front of a fire all day too…he’s the kind of guy who who doesn’t like to complain, but when it gets up past 90 degrees, you can tell he’s not enjoying it.

• Greata says:

I was married to a part-time renactor and that is largely untrue. While it is incredibly hot sometimes, they do love it, no matter what. The majority of them wouldn’t do it if they didn’t love it, especially since this is a hobby and they are not getting paid.

9. B Blankin says:

Sorry to pick nits, but General Grant was in Vicksburg, MS at the time of the Battle of Gettysburg. Gen. George G. Meade was commanding the Army of the Potomac, but I doubt that was him in the photo.

10. James says:

He couldn’t have been Grant. One – Grant has a full beard. Two – Someone playing Grant would have never been allowed at a proper Gettysburg reenactment as he was at Vicksburg during the battle not Gettysburg.

11. LTC A says:

Actually, it appears to be COL Chamberlain, commander of the 20th Maine. You were not having any fun at all.