Prophet of Doom

August 1st, 2013

Prophet of Doom - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

“We didn’t celebrate Halloween at our house. We begged to go trick-or-treating, so this was the compromise. Dad went with us door to door as the Prophet of Doom.”

(submitted by Chelsea)

31 Responses to “Prophet of Doom”

1. Lisa says:

Wow – it’s a costume, people! Look at the exaggerated shoulders and the size of the sign. She said he went as “the prophet of doom”. It’s a joke. Trust all the atheists to get their knickers in a knot.

2. Tristan Robin Blakeman says:

What has me completely flummoxed is the arrangement of the chairs.

3. Jeff Schueler says:

Our parents encouraged us to be creative and have FUN on Halloween! While we attended church weekly, we were taught that Jesus wanted us to have fun and enjoy our lives.

What a shame that some people force their ultra-orthodox beliefs upon their families.

4. bitterclinger says:

I’m dying to know what reaction this crew got from candy givers…

5. John says:

Being an Assembly of God preachers kid, we were not allowed the traditional halloween experience. Instead we always ended up at Hallelujiah festivals, thrown at the church. We were allowed to dress up however, the stipulation being it had to be a bible character. The last year I went, and I was fed up, I dressed up like the devil, and was called rebellious. Halloween sucked, so now that I am an adult, I do it full up to the hilt.

6. Mike says:

Um, Dad shouldn’t wear those shoes in the house.

7. Kris says:

Oh my poor ribs! Bahahaha!

8. Katharina says:

My mother was like this…

9. Matthew says:

It’s a joke people! Look at the size of the sandwich board! Sheesh…

10. CarrieM says:

My dad was a pastor and there was one year when my parents didn’t give out candy for Halloween, they gave out Bible tracts. I didn’t think anything could top that, but…..

11. Hannah says:

Well, isn’t he just a little ray of sunshine…

12. Lizzie says:

I recall as a kid feeling SO sorry for kids that weren’t allowed to go out for Halloween. At least he compromised… sort of. I bet part of him realized what an ass he was making of himself. Probably thought that other folks stares were affirmation that he was making a stand for God. Wonder if he is still so dogmatic, & as others said, what the daughters ended up like.

13. Classic Steve says:

I’m not convinced that he is a religious zealot. I think he just finds doomsayers suitably creepy.

• Minda says:

I considered that too. Perhaps he is against some of the elements of most Halloween celebrations but is better humored than he appears in this picture. Afterall, he did pose for the picture and take them trick-or-treating. Maybe the sourpuss expression is supposed to be a funny addition to the “costume”. If that’s the case, I hope his daughters have a thick skin about some of the mean things commenters are saying about their dad!

14. Joe says:

So THAT’S what a party pooper costume looks like!

15. Joe says:

Amen … no pun intended …

16. Katie says:

At least he let them go trick or treating instead of making them stay home and listen to Bible stories. As a former evangelical, I took my kids to way too many “harvest festivals” at churches where they were only allowed to dress up as Bible characters.

• charlotte says:

Tell me about it- Dressing up as Bible characters to “party” in the church basement was the worst- everyone wearing bathrobes and towels on their heads and looking exactly the same. SOOO BORING.

17. Siula Grande says:

Tell me about it! I had one of these dads. It sucked.

18. Justin in indy says:

This makes me sad. I am an atheist, but I wouldn’t go to a church function wearing a giant sign on my childrens special day. Sometimes, Maybe just make it about the kids…

• sheri says:

I’m with you, Justin. I wonder if these two girls are now atheists (I hope so!).

If this dad wanted to show how really religious he is, he should have carried a heavy wooden cross around the neighborhood.

19. JB says:

Too bad he left off the “but”! He could have been a bearer of Good News.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• Edson says:

It’s halloween, gosh! nobody cares about that crap!

• musicalfruit says:

is there a like button? I like that

• Minda says:

Indeed! That would have made it a much cheerier costume worthy of the little princesses. Interesting guy all around.

• XJ says:

So true! I wondered why he didn’t at least put something like that in there. Why stop at the doom and gloom? But then again, stopping before the “but” makes this picture a whole lot more hilarious. Something about his doom costume mixed with two happy sparkly princesses grinning from ear to ear made me sit here and laugh for a good five minutes straight.

20. Matt says:

I don’t get it. What is he supposed to be?

21. Wes Harlan says:

It’s hard being a dad sometimes…