Over Capacity

August 15th, 2013

Over Capacity - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is a photo of me (in the yellow suit) and my friend Melissa hanging out in a kiddie pool with the three very elderly, very large women-all sisters-who lived next door to me. They were always referred to as ‘the Old Ladies’ and would babysit me sometimes. I don’t know why my parents didn’t stop this from happening. Perhaps they knew the photo would haunt me the rest of my life.”

(submitted by Maggy)

9 Responses to “Over Capacity”

1. Susan says:

This is a sweet photo. I have a feeling these ladies likely took a lot of joy from spending time with you, kiddie pool or not. Life’s too short to be cool all the time.

2. Dalee says:

Well now really, who wasn’t routinely smothered by loving fleshy Aunt or Grandmother figures as a child. That’s one of the comforts of childhood. Then we grow up to be a loving fleshy Aunt and/or Grandmother figure ourselves.

3. Minda says:

Too funny! Sitting in a lady’s lap in a swimming pool is probably a lot less fun than jumping in and out of it, splashing with your friends, or any other activities this size pool is designed for. But this is funnier! ;)

4. Deborah says:

I see nothing wrong with this picture actually. When it’s hot, you do what you gotta do. ;)

5. MacDaddy says:

A sweet photo. Nothing for your parents to stop. What may be awkward is these are not skinny girls in skimpy bikinis and it was a tight fit in the kiddie pool. It was probably a riot to watch them get in & out. My guess is they were almost like Aunts and everyone looks very happy. I can see my 3 (50 something year old) sisters doing the same thing.

6. Ape says:

Although this picture is, indeed, awkward, I wouldn’t exactly call those women ‘very elderly’…

7. Lizzie says:

Stop what from happening? It’s a lovely picture! I agree with the post above by L.C…. all I see is some lovely acting ladies having a fun time taking care of 2 kids.

8. L. C. Burgundy says:

Very elderly?? The oldest is what, 50? o.O

• Mel says:

When you’re a little kid, that’s *ancient*. I’m guessing the submitter remembers them the way they seemed to her at the time.