Behind The Awkwardness: Baby’s Breath

August 18th, 2013

“Being nine years old can be an awkward age but when you have a perm it can double your awkwardness. At the time, I figured being in a wedding would raise my level of coolness. Unfortunately, if I would have know baby’s breath would have been incorporated into my dreadful perm I may have not been so enthusiastic. Also, lets not forget about the radical twist bangs that so elegantly frame the faces of two bridesmaids. And last but not least, the color of the dresses; EGGPLANT? I know my grandmother made every dress in this photo and they were made beautifully but NO loving hard work of any grandmother will take away from the awkwardness of this photo.”

(submitted by Casey)

23 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Baby’s Breath”

1. Dorene says:

Aside from the perm, the dresses, hairstyles, and floral arrangements are timeless….not dated-looking at all. If I didn’t know otherwise, I’d think this was a modern-day wedding picture.

2. Gail says:

Yeah, I have to agree with the responses here, this is not an awkward photo at all. I studied it for a minute or so before I looked at your explanation of why it is awkward. What you THINK may appear weird looks perfectly normal to the rest of the world. In this case it’s just a great photo taken at a wedding – everyone looks great in the photo, including you!

3. Fai says:

I’m not sure why the color of the dresses is so horrible, and everyone else’s hair is nice & understated. I feel your pain on the perm, however. My mother did the exact same thing to me at the exact same age, and it never turned out well for *anyone*.

4. Karen says:

If ‘eggplant’ is truly a colour you have strong objections to, maybe consider calling it ‘aubergine’. Sounds much fancier, but means the same thing. I’m also noting a lack of puffy sleeves, giant bows, overly shiny taffeta or tulle. Grandma knew a timeless style when she saw one.

As for the baby’s breath, well. Can’t be helped. For quite a while it was The Thing for fancy hairstyles for some unknown reason, given that it stinks to high heaven. If I had to guess, I think 95% of the girls in my Grade 8 graduating class had it in their hair. Heck, maybe some of the boys did too, I don’t know. It would really only be a concern if you were still to this day sticking baby’s breath all over your head every morning before work. That would be worrying.

5. tami says:

Honestly this pic is all good only thing awkward is ur crazy face when u smile!

6. Leanne says:

You are by far the cutest person in this photo–look at your sassy little face. That said, the bride is beautiful, and if I hadn’t known better, I would’ve thought those dresses were black, and thus incredibly chic!

7. Sue W. says:

I don’t think this is an awkward photo at all. Everyone looks fine, dresses are great.

8. Jennifer F. says:

As awkward as any other late 90′s wedding, be assured. ;) Everyone looks fine and those dresses are amazing.

9. Lee says:

I laughed so hard because my poor sisters went through the childhood perm phase. Unless you’ve been there, you just don’t know, lol. But the baby’s breath is the thing that puts it over the top.

Applause to the awkwardness!

10. Kits1013 says:

Awkward? I think it’s a lovely picture and everyone, not just the bride, looks beautiful.

11. KR says:

I don’t see the problem, “eggplant” is a very trendy color called purple. If anything is wrong it’s just the perm and your expression. Everything else looks absolutely normal. Grandma has the mad skillz.

12. agentsarahjane says:

I had a poodle perm at the age of 9 myself so I feel your pain …It’s awkward. You were an adorable little girl :)

13. Aimee says:

It really doesn’t matter what you look like unless you’re the bride. :)

14. DJS says:

I think the dresses are pretty–I love the color! Curly perm is a little unfortunate, but I actually think you look adorable.

15. Bobbie says:

I love this photo. Just because you felt awkward doesn’t mean it was to everyone who sees it.

Kudos to grandma!

16. Alechsa says:

This honestly doesn’t look that awkward. Obviously back in the day of this photo, perms were all the rage, the dresses look quite elegant (Eggplant isn’t that ‘gross’ of a shade of purple, tbh, it’s quite classy if dark enough as it is in the photo), and the baby breath was likely intended to mark you as the flowergirl, right?

It looks to me like a lovely wedding photo representing an entire family brought together and quite happy.

17. Melissa says:

I was 11 when my sister got married. I had a mullet. I have no idea why I had a mullet as I had no business to attend to, and was too young for parties. Luckily for me, she was divorced within 5 years and we never show the wedding photos any more.

18. Patricia Butler says:

I honestly don’t see anything wrong with the dresses, your hair, or the photo overall.

19. Elaine says:

I think the eggplant is quite nice

20. Joan B. says:

Aw, I think it is a lovely wedding picture. Everyone looks happy and well turned out. As for the dresses? They are a nice change from the pastel horrors that most bridesmaids wear. The baby’s breath in the permed do is a bit much, but considering how young the wearer it is forgivably cute! :-) I say not awkward at all.