Soap In Your Eyes

August 24th, 2013

Soap In Your Eyes - Behind The Awkwardness

“I am about eleven in this picture. I had just finished washing my mother’s car and was walking back to the house to go inside to pour out the water. On my way inside, I tripped and the soapy water sloshed up and into my face. For some reason, this was a catastrophe. I was also, for some reason, convinced that if I opened my eyes, the soap would get into them and blind me. I distinctly recall arguing with my father (who always had his camera at hand and saw this as a golden moment to capture) that I would, indeed, lose my eyesight, even though he kept saying I wouldn’t. At this point, I was crushed that nobody would believe me, nobody had the heart to comfort me, and nobody had the care to hand me a towel (I think I ended up using the sleeve of my sweater).

I’d like to say that’s just soapy water dripping off my chin, but with the amount of blubbering going on, it’s quite likely it’s a mixture of both soapy water and drool. And yes, if you’re wondering, this moment still comes up in conversations with my father. (My mother says there are too many similar ones for her to recall.)”

(submitted by Heather)

13 Responses to “Soap In Your Eyes”

1. Anony Mouse says:

Wow, I am glad you can laugh at this. I think it is horrible no one was willing to get you a towel or help you. If you’d been my kid I would at least helped you use your shirt.

2. missy says:

Well bless your neurotic little hear. Poor thing…you must have been a bit of a wreck for a while after this.

3. JimD says:

Maybe she just watched A Christmas Story and thought she would be blinded by “soap poisoning”.

4. jake says:

Nothing says love like laughing at ones children fear of chemical blindness.

5. sunny says:

I really like this photo as well…nostalgia is maybe not the right word for the emotion it evoked in me, but something similar

6. leanne says:

That is such a devastating photo! I’m glad you can laugh at it now, but as a stranger looking on….the misery!

7. Charlie says:

Ah yes, I recall fondly this fine young lady as I remember her when she first came to take guitar lessons from me so many years ago. Thanks for sharing this photo and thanks to your dad for taking it…it really is a laughing moment, but as I recall the serious young lady, at the time it must have been devestating!

8. Smash says:

I agree with Alfire. Really great photo despite the childhood memories.

9. Heather says:

Aw, thanks guys! Sadly, I was the older sibling! I’m not sure why I thought I’d go blind, having gotten soap and shampoo in my eyes before. Maybe it was the fact it was car soap…who knows.

And, actually, it’s literally a Kodak moment. My dad used Kodak film for slides. :-)

Kits — thanks for that. And yes…it is pretty sad. It’s indicated in the long strand of…soap…dangling off my chin.

Aifre — my dad will appreciate the compliment. :-0

10. Lizzie says:

What a lovely way of telling your story of childhood angst…. no one believing you is such an awful feeling! No doubt someone (older sib?)said to you that you’d go blind if you got soap in your eyes. You’ve a way with words & a fair amt of self esteem to be able to smile at your childhood self. It’s awkward in only the best of ways…(blubber included)…. that we all can relate to!

11. RDeGarmo says:

Wow funny kodak moment

12. alifre says:

it’s actually a really nice photograph. Sorry it came with such angst!

13. Kits says:

Now that’s not awkward, that’s just sad. I would have helped you.