Cheers

September 6th, 2013

Cheers - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is a photo of me ( holding my bear) and my grandpa and dad. One or the other would get stuck babysitting me at times. I’d get dragged down to the local bar, a cherry coke to nurse for the night and would have my bear to talk to. Good times for all.”

(submitted by Sarah)

21 Responses to “Cheers”

1. MariaK says:

Substitute a Shirley Temple and a lavender jumpsuit, and this is my childhood. Oh, and dimes for the jukebox.

2. Erin says:

Why aren’t you wearing pants??

3. Peter says:

This could be a photo of my childhood too. Bars in those days were community meeting points as much as they were places to drink.

4. Eve S. says:

I’m feeling fortunate. At least I got quarters to play the pinball machine and juke box.

5. Dawn says:

Yup, I remember those Shirley Temples very well. Good God! Mind numbing.

6. Julee Carpenter says:

Love it! I remember at family parties when the grown ups would run out of alcohol and they would send us kids to the liquor store on our bikes & bigwheels with a note telling the clerk what beer & wine to sell to the kids. Now that would make one heck of an awkward card! A stream of kids riding down the street in bathing suits with six packs in tow! Gotta love the 70′s!

7. kelly says:

I have that same teddy bear! Still do! Aw, yes, when Dad was in charge of us kids, we would get taken to the local bar, given a cherry coke and left to ourselves. However there were a few Dads that did that, so there were other kids to talk to and play with, We were given money for the juke box and a we were sat at one of the not used poker tables and given a deck of cards. It was good memories. They guys would be playing Poker or Eukuker or watching Football. If was warm outside, there was a side door out of the bar us kids could play on the sidewalk. Aw, the 1970′s. :)

8. Cynthia says:

Age 3 or 4, on a bar stool with a coffee cup full of nickels, in front of the slot machine at the VFW.
    All the men watching a ballgame, smoking and drinking. Good times with my Dad.

9. Snit zeal says:

Oh man.. Looks just like my childhood from the late 70′s.. Difference being that my friends neil ‘s dad used to take us & leave us in the beer garden to play.. My folks never met Neil’s dad from memory.. Sweet geezus… Madness

10. T Smith says:

Umm…it’s not babysitting if it’s YOUR OWN KID.

11. KarynR says:

BAZINGA!!!!

12. abby says:

Aww. The stuff that therapy is made of.

13. Melanie says:

Is it just me, or does the dad look a little like Sheldon Cooper ? Awkward.

14. ellay says:

Yeah, very familiar. Although I was always put up on one of the bar stools (at age 3-4) and fed the olives from my fathers many martinis. Ahhh dinner time

15. Carole says:

Yeah, I feel your pain.

My dad would drag me to the Alpine Village in Torrance, and stick me in a corner with a Shirley Temple and a Nancy Drew book.

16. leanne says:

I think it might be unreasonable just how happy this website makes me. Good Lord, did all parents belong to the same legion, go to the same pub? Put the same bowl on our heads for haircuts?

• Rachel says:

Love your comment! :) I totally agree.

• Jane says:

Yup…my dad was in the same Legion…we’d go to the corner at Brookie’s Bar and I got a Shirley temple and Mary, the barmaid would give me M&Ms…so I didn’t mind going…kinda sad when I think of my dad now…

17. Whoa says:

Gotta be Wisconsin.

18. Sedley A. says:

These look like my family pictures!