Then And Now

September 13th, 2013

Then And Now - Photos

“8th grade perm!  Thank goodness I grew out of it. Used to get beat up in school cause I was such a dork!!”

(submitted by Jackie)

20 Responses to “Then And Now”

1. Joleen says:

She was way prettier back then. Look at her gorgeous eyes without all that makeup!

2. Cleo Kinsey, 23, UK says:

Jackie, you were lovely then, but you’re stunning now. I was the same, bullied up until I left school at 16, now when I go back to my hometown to visit family, the guys (and girls,) jaws drop, it’s a great ‘middle finger to those idiots’ feeling. Though looks aren’t everything, I know it sounds so cliché, but I bet the bullying has made you stronger, and a more beautiful person on the inside as well as the outside X

3. lexicon says:

The ultimate middle finger to bullies.

4. Wixenstyx says:

Wait… why are we not more concerned to hear that somewhere in the 80s, girls were getting “beat up” for being “such a dork!!”?

• Jackie says:

totally agree! I got picked on so bad. This one kid named Eddie used to beat me up every day. I brought a picture of my horse to school…a big one that was laminated and he took it and smashed it in the mud! Kids were cruel back then, and the perm didn’t help :)

5. Richard says:

It really does get better!

6. abby says:

aw…
    you really don’t need to prove anything.
    and yes you are lovely.

7. Scout C says:

Yeah, but let’s see you NOW… with the perm! Recreation! Recreation!

8. Jane says:

Given that’s was the hairstyle at the time, this does not seem terribly dorky or awkward to me, just a lovely young girl. I know it’s supposed to make teens feel better when you say “See? I was a huge dork but I’m all better now!” but when it’s a photo of a perfectly average (or even attractive) person, I’m not sure it’s sending the right message. Anything less than stunning is now geeky?

• Lizzie says:

Jane… I totally agree with you! I felt the same way re the msg being sent… Yep, she’s beautiful , but I thought she was a cute girl. It always makes me kind of sad to see those “reality shows” that have a “I used to be a dork; but look at me now.” theme.

9. Josh says:

I personally think she looks great in both photos (from a young guy’s perspective).

10. Jer says:

The pretty ones in HS always end up being fat hogs and the ‘dorky ugly’ ones turn out like this. Ive seen it a dozen times at least. Beautiful women this Jackie is.

11. Lynnski says:

Super win! I hope you go to your class reunions!

• Jackie says:

Unfortunately I got beat up so much that i dropped out in 10th grade. Don’t worry…I ended up going back in college and got a degree in Behavioral Neuroscience and have a great career, but things were touch and go for a while :)

12. Burton says:

I think I had that same perm.

13. Rachel says:

I think we ALL deserve a free pass after going through the 80s as teenagers.