It’s Your Birthday

September 15th, 2013

It’s Your Birthday - Birthdays

Make a wish. Actually, don’t bother.

(submitted by Brianna)

17 Responses to “It’s Your Birthday”

1. Amy says:

time for this “tradition” to go by the wayside, along with birthday spankings of my youth.

2. Lucie says:

This pic is sad to me

3. jasmine says:

Well, she will get the biggest piece with extra hair and boogers!

4. LeeLee says:

The birthday cake in your face ‘tradition’ doesn’t please the kids! Isn’t this suppose to be a kids party?

5. C. says:

Glad I’m not the only one with those memories or that picture.

6. bzzz says:

I’ll take a piece at the end where hair and spit haven’t been smushed into the frosting.

7. b says:

this made me so sad. that poor girl had to go the rest of HER party with icing in her hair and probably up her nose.

8. jan says:

She’ll be able to get revenge when she’s an adult and it’s HIS birthday!

9. Lizzie says:

The little blond girl’s (in the background) reaction is pretty much what I think most folks would have!

10. AndrewT says:

“… I .. wish … I … could … breathe …”

11. Robin says:

I’ve just been reading the comments of Facebook, where everyone is aghast. Relax. It’s a cultural thing. You really can’t judge the custom outside of the whole context. During 20+ years living in Mexico, I saw lots of kids *love* having their faces covered in cake – and a few cry. It’s certainly not something that would “ruin” your birthday memory — it’s expected to happen whenever there is a celebration cake. I’ve seen plenty of brides get their face pushed into the cake, too — and take it with a sense of humor and grace. And yes, I have had my own – adult – face pushed into the cake more than once. Not a biggie — you live in the culture, you roll with the punches.

• eye says:

What a rediculous custom and SO crass! What person, all prettied up for a party wants their face smashed in a cake? What guest wants to eat the remains? Gross!

12. Robin says:

It’s a cultural thing. During 20+ years living in Mexico, I saw plenty a kid *love* having their faces covered in cake. Yeah, a few cried, too, but you can’t really judge the custom outside of the whole context. Yes, I have had my own – adult – face pushed into the cake more than once. Not a biggie!

13. Kika says:

This is normal in a Latino household. “Que le muerda, que le muerda…” LOL

14. lis says:

it’s moments like these you really wish you were an orphan ;-)