Behind The Awkwardness: Beltboy

September 22nd, 2013

Behind The Awkwardness: Beltboy - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is my pre-school picture.  I had a fit and would not get my picture taken unless I could put my belt on my head.  So my mom did what she had to do.”

(submitted by Mike)

30 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Beltboy”

1. Tricia says:

OMG. I cannot stop laughing at photo and caption. This one is a hall of famer.

2. Mary says:

Ha! Adorable!

• Kristina says:

my alltime favorite pic – a super cute little man with a will of his own! He probably wanted to have his new belt in the pic too and his Mom said: it won´t be visible – and then he decided to sure make it visible

3. corinne says:

This is precious. As a portrait photographer I see moms matching their kids’ fits every day. The pictures suck, the experience sucks. This mom is a rockstar and I bet she gets a smile every time she sees this photo.

4. Sarah says:

I love the shirt!

5. Meredith says:

What I love the most is his expression. It says ‘See how good the belt looks? My tantrum was justified.’

A recreation is definitely required.

6. Nita says:

Recreation please!!!! Yes, the best moms laugh & roll with the punches. If it is not life or death, it is no big deal.

7. Ajax says:

Your mom must have given in to the fit pretty quickly. Those chubby cheeks do not appear to be tear-stained in the least.

8. jeeps says:

You are not only adorable – you also have an awesome mom.

• Jennifer says:

I’d like to know why Mike thought puting a belt on his
      head was a cool idea. I actually kinda dig it.
      I wonder if this adorable kid grew up to be a
      hair accessories designer.
      I too, had a cool mom. In kindergarten for a
      whole year she let me wear my halloween witch cape
      to school every day. (This was in the ’70s and it
      had orange bric-a-brac trim).

• Mike's favorite cousin says:

He did not. Though his awesome taste in accessories has been passed down to his adorable kids!

9. Lisa says:

What a doll :-)

10. Amanda says:

A remake would be awesome!

11. Linda says:

Well belt or no, that is one cute little boy.

12. Tammy1409 says:

You should absolutely Recreate the Awkwardness with this photo!

13. Dori says:

Your Mom is all kinds of awesome! She let you wear a belt on your head and wear a super cool Star Wars tee too!

14. delifresh says:

My third child insisted on something similar for his kindergarten picture. Now we enjoy laughing at Bryce’s choice of Halloween costume Ninja shirt (it had a cobra!) as his first official school photo. I say you let the third kid (and others after him/her) juggle knives if they want to, you’ve learned the hard way on the first two that it just doesn’t matter.

15. Mary says:

Kind of reminds me when my son was in preschool and would only shop at Target with Scooby Doo underwear on his head. Please, please do a remake of this photo – that would be too funny!

• leanne says:

Do you have a photo of this???? that would be amazing. My brother went everywhere with an enormous hockey helmet on his head for the first 4 years of his life. It was about twice the size of his head and he decorated it with stars and explosions. He even slept with it on. He wouldn’t take a bath without it on….he didn’t need it, but people thought he did.

• Evelyn says:

When my son was 4 he went everywhere with a black glove on his hand because that’s what Luke Skywalker had on his hand after it was cut off by Darth Vader. Kids this age have great imaginations but are also really stubborn!

• Lil' says:

That is hilarious! For about 6 months this year, my son wouldn’t go to the park to play unless he was in full Batman gear. The rest of the time he had to be wearing his cape shirt. I pick my battles, so I went with it. Our day at the park was interesting the day a school did a pirate-themed field trip there…I don’t really know the full story there, but about 40 kids in full pirate costumes, some very elaborate, were captured and jailed by my pint-sized super hero.

My coworker’s son wants to go everywhere dressed as a Power Ranger. I love this age.

• Laur says:

First, this picture and explanation cracked me up. I can see my 3 year old son doing something like this but then I read the other stories of sons and their determined way of dressing and it cracked me up even more. I’m doing this at work and trying to stifle my laughter but am not being very sucessful. Gotta love boys!

• eXXodus says:

Wow, and here I was thinking that parents ran the household..