Who Likes Short Shorts?

September 29th, 2013

Who Likes Short Shorts? - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is a photo of my dad back in 84 or 85. Those were one of his many pairs of daisy dukes. Both him and my grandpa had a matching pair of ones with rainbows on the sides. I was always embarrassed when they would attempt to take me out in public while they were wearing them.”

(submitted by LaDonna)

23 Responses to “Who Likes Short Shorts?”

1. janna says:

The real trouble with these shorts of the 80′s and 90′s was they way some men wore them “commando” style. Thus revealing more of themselves than most of us could handle. LMAO!

2. Jasper says:

I am not even focusing on the guy and what he’s wearing. I am loving the paneling, curtains and that oh so lovely tree. Love that silver garland! Willing to bet it had those huge painted bulbs that always seemed to have paint chipped off. Oh the memories.

3. Tim says:

I think he’s hot!

4. LoriBear says:

I love the 80′s! So good.

5. NurseKat says:

Oh my! A friend of mine showed up at my house in short shorts, in the late 90s. He explained that he had borrowed his DAD’S tennis shorts! (They are European, from a former easter block country). He thought it was hilarious that I was so mortified. Well, at least he wasn’t wearing clogs lol

6. annie says:

did they wear them with a wife beater, suspenders, and black socks with white sneakers? That would have made it awesome ;-)

7. LaDonna says:

They wore these short short well into the 90′s too which cause further embarrassment. I love my dad more then anything in the world but not his shorts lol. He even says now that he wishes he would of never worn them.

8. Joanne says:

being from the south, looks strange wearing shorts or any kind on Christmas; usually cold here………

• Billy says:

lmao. As opposed to being from the north, where it’s warmer?

• taterhead says:

You just don’t understand truckers. Go sit at a major truck stop for a couple of hours and then you might understand the picture. I have seen people wearing parkas in hot weather and people wearing shorts and wife beaters in 10 degree weather.

• LaDonna says:

LOL, I lived on the road with him full time for 3 out of 4 years in high school and alot of spring break before that so I understand you there lol. At the time this picture was taken he was still only trucking inside the great state of Kentucky.

9. Lizzie says:

My gosh, do they look short! I have a sneaky suspicion that what Lori wrote is correct… that we all wore really short shorts, & just have forgotten this! When you look at pictures of Basketball players of that era, with their shorter shorts….they all look…well… funny.

10. joaniebaloney83 says:

At least he has the legs for short shorts!

11. Lori says:

Everyone wore short shorts in the 80s. That’s what was in style. If you were embarrassed, then you were the one that didn’t like being in style. I could pull out thousands of photos of everyone in short shorts–young, old, teens, everyone. No one wore longer shorts unless they were geeks. And, in 20 years, what you are wearing now, your kids will be laughing at–along with you wondering why you wore such weird styles.

• LaDonna Arcona says:

When you are little and your dad is tall and in short shorts it can be embarrassing. I understand certain styles may be the trend at the time but that doesn’t mean someone can’t be embarrassed being seen with someone wearing that style.

• Tom says:

I agree, Lori. And these shorts are hardly “short shorts,” nor are they “Daisy Dukes (which are specifically very short cut-off jeans).” They’re just regular shorts that everyone was wearing.

That nowithstanding, I thought it was pretty much every parent’s duty to embarrass their kids whenever possible. Luckily it’s pretty easy to do.

12. WendyTzu says: