Mask

December 28th, 2013

Mask - Behind The Awkwardness

“This was taken back in 1971 when I was about 18 months old. My grandmother had one of our cousins dress up as Santa to surprise me and my aunt (who is holding me). I’m not sure what happened to Santa on the way over…..looks like he was run over by one of his reindeer.”

(submitted by Heather)

21 Responses to “Mask”

1. dawn audi says:

Heather, as I’ve read from a previous poster, your aunt looks identical to my sister too. So much that I showed my family and her and they asked when and where it was taken. They couldn’t believe it wasn’t my sister.

• Heather Waite says:

Hi Dawn! A lot of people on other websites have also stated that my aunt looks like a relative of theirs. On the Reddit site, someone even states that it’s their mom, lol! This pic was taken the Christmas of 1971 in McDonald, Pennsylvania. It is just before my family and I moved to my mom’s home country of England. We later moved back to the states 1977 :). Funny thing is, my favorite holiday is Halloween. I wonder if this had anything to do with it???

2. John Lawless says:

It looks like Leatherface got himself a Santa mask.

3. Kristina says:

Looks like Santa joined ICP.

4. C Cooke says:

I was amazed when I saw this picture because when I was about 18mos-2 1/2 yrs, I looked just like the little girl! Wow! I’m from Texas, and I’m pretty sure we aren’t related, but the resemblance is very evident. =)

5. Jeremy M says:

It’s Botched Face Lift Santa!

6. Brooke says:

This looks like the same kind of mask used in the movie, “It’s a Wonderful Life.” One of George Bailey’s sons is wearing / playing with it during the scene in their home when his daughter is practicing the piano, Zuzu is sick in bed & Mr. Bailey is running around the home screaming at everyone & just being a basket case because he’s worrying over the missing 8k from Bailey’s Building & Loan. LOVE this movie & ur AFP!

• Sean says:

THANK YOU, Brooke! It’s been bugging me and I couldn’t figure out where I’d seen that weird Santa mask before. But I knew it was somewhere. You’re exactly right. It’s a Wonderful Life. And I’ve always thought that it was a bit on the strangely-scary side every time I’ve seen that film. Thanks for jogging my memory!

7. Erling says:

Auntie is hot!!

8. Juliano says:

It’s Satan Claus! RUN!

9. alica says:

Serial killer Santa Claus…

10. Ryan says:

Um. Why aren’t you crying in abject horror?? That is the most disturbing thing I have seen in a long time!

11. Janet says:

We have some family Christmas movies from the 1940s where someone is wearing the exact same Santa mask.

12. bsufanatic says:

Seriously, what the freak is going on with that Santa face…i zoomed in on it and got a close look to try to figure it out, but that left me even more confused.

A mask? I dont think so. But those eyes, mouth, forehead….something isn’t right with that dude

13. Bradscope says:

It’s Cthulhu Claus!

14. Penny Presser Goodman says:

Heather, your aunt looks like she could be my sister or my brothers twin. Family resemblance is uncanny. Do you have any ‘Pressers’ in your family?

• Heather says:

Hi Penny! I have never heard of anyone with the last name of Presser being mentioned. Our family is from the Pittsburgh area. Any relatives down that way? Have a Happy New Year :)

• Penny says:

Hi, Heather. Our family is from Ohio and Kentucky. My family sure got a kick out of it when I showed them, though. Happy 2014. Hope isn’t too awkward!

15. Spacegeek Nat says:

WHAT IN THE OUTER RINGS OF CYKRANOSH IS THIS FRESH HELL???

I have never been so terrified by a photo in my entire life…

}:/

16. Emmie says:

That was not awkward, that is down right scary!!!

17. tzigane says:

Looks like something from a Christmas horror flick! It’s amazing you weren’t screaming!