Three’s A Crowd

January 23rd, 2014

Three’s A Crowd - Behind The Awkwardness

“My three cousins all have birthdays very close together in October and weren’t thrilled to share their jack-o-lantern birthday cake and party. “

(submitted by Natalie)

24 Responses to “Three’s A Crowd”

1. Anthony says:

I so relate! My sister and I were born a year and two months apart. FOr quite a few years, my birthday (which falls on April 16th) would be celebrated with my sister, on her birthday (which falls on February 22nd). One cake with two numeric candles. It wasn’t until I was 21 years old that I was finally given my own birthday cake on my own birth day!

2. Mike says:

Given the Halloween theme, probably a good thing they weren’t all turning six.

3. Tom says:

He looks so young for his age!!! Happy Birthday Old-Timer!!!

4. C.K. Dexter Haven says:

Recreate this one!

5. Tammy says:

My sister and I born on the same day 13 years apart! Always had a huge came half hers half mine! Strawberry shortcake and Pink Floyd…..nice!

6. Barb says:

Sparki, that’s awful! I’m so sorry! I hope things are better in your family and you get to have your own celebrations now.

7. Sparki says:

My older brother, my dad and I all have birthdays within 10 days of each other. For years, my mom just saved a little batter from my older brother’s birthday cake and made a cupcake for me. My brother would have the big cake, the song, as many candles of his age, etc. Then Mom would have everybody quickly sing for me, too (even though it wasn’t my birthday yet) and I got to blow out a single candle (and not one of those fancy number-shaped candles, either). To make it all extra special, Mom and Dad would go away for Dad’s birthday – which invariably included them being gone for my birthday, and they would farm us kids out to friends for the week. I was always instructed not to tell the people hosting me that it was my birthday because Mom didn’t want other parents to go to any trouble for me. I’d send you a photo of me with my birthday cupcakes, but there aren’t any – plenty of my brother, though.

• E says:

That is so sad. I hope you are celebrating all your birthdays in fine style now. For when it comes round again: Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!!

• ginger says:

However did your mom rationalize that? It boggles my mind.

• Sparki says:

I think it started on my first birthday, when I didn’t know any better, but she let it go until the year I turned 10. They still went away over my birthday and I still had to pretend it wasn’t my birthday while staying with friends, but I did get a birthday party all my own for my 10th and then again for my 15th.

• Sparki says:

I celebrate ALL my kids’ birthdays in as big of a way as I can (budget permitting), but I never much got in the habit of celebrating mind. :-) It’s okay – I’d rather celebrate theirs, anyway. But thanks for the birthday wishes!

• John says:

Sparki your story is quite similar to how my mom grew up and she also made (and still makes) a big fuss of me and my two brothers on our birthdays, just like you with your kids. I don’t know how old yours are but if they’re teen or older they probably say things like “c’mon don’t make such a big deal!”…but don’t listen to them! When they get older they’ll understand it wasn’t the “birthday” you were making a big deal about.

Also I have to ask (even tho its personal sorry)…but how is your relationship with your brother now as adults??

• Louise says:

Sparki, I hope you have someone to spoil you rotten now. I feel like baking you a cake myself.

8. Janellionaire says:

There is going to be a LOT of saliva on that cake. A LOT.

9. Dawn says:

Poor kids….so, not only do they have to share a birthday, and a birthday cake, but it’s not even a birthday cake! It’s a Halloween cake. 3 birthdays and 1 holiday all on the same day? Their parents are way to into multi-tasking. :(

10. Sue says:

This could have been my older sister and me, whose birthdays are two days apart. Bless my mom, she had separate parties for us, on consecutive weekends.

• Zak says:

My brother and I also have birthdays separated by a mere two days. We usually had joint parties, but my mom would bake and painstakingly decorate two separate cakes every year, so it wasn’t all that bad. The worst thing is that this all happened in early January, so instead of getting a video game system and an extra controller for Christmas, it would be more like get the system for Christmas and have to wait 2-ish weeks for the extra controller as a birthday present.

11. Stephanie says:

I used to have to share my birthday with my cousin too. I hated it.

12. michelle says:

HOLLY HOBBY!!!!

13. Benjamin says:

The Christmas babies still envy you.

• Jack says:

Best comment!

• Linda says:

true that! my bro and i were born 5 years apart on 12/24. and my sister was born between on 12/19. there was never a good way to handle that – never. sometimes we all celebrated (with one cake) on my sister’s birthday. sometimes she got her own cake and my bro and i shared one. often, we all got gifts that were combination christmas/birthday gifts — not larger or more expensive gifts mind you, just combo gifts. we all survived but the memories of birthdays are sort of bittersweet.

• Blanche says:

I have friends, a couple, who were born respectively on June 6 and June 8, their eldest daughter was born right in the middle on the 7! I should ask them how they manage birthday parties!