Sugar Don’t Bite

February 12th, 2014

Sugar Don’t Bite - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is my sister’s dance class from approximately 1989. Although there are so many funny elements to this photo, nothing quite trumps the stud in the back.”

(submitted by Grace)

12 Responses to “Sugar Don’t Bite”

1. Whitese7en says:

Ain’t that the truth, my male enrollment hasn’t surged for quite some time now ;)

On another note… Good Lord Annie, grow a sense of humor, please.

2. Annie says:

I think the comment about the “stud” is mean-spirited. I’m sure he got more than enough teasing as the only boy in the dance class. Sure, the outfits suck and are totally 80′s, but give the guy some credit for bravery!

• DMSharess says:

Actually, I think that the “Stud” label should be a compliment! I myself am a trained (male) dancer of many years, and out of all the kids in this picture, I think his pose is the most well-carried and confident by FAR. When it shows that almost all the other girls are feeling awkward in their own bodies (completely normal at that age!), he is showing them all up by really owning it! Awesome!

• sherry says:

I completely agree with DMSharess!! That kid is owning the hell out of it!

• Tara says:

Here! Here! for that! And he gets bonus points for pulling it off with that headband…lordy the costume designer could have at least made it match the costume :)

• Who cares says:

Oh who cares!!!??? It’s just for a laugh.

Go home.

• Juliana B. says:

I completely agree with you. when I was in tap/ballet class when I was a little kid, my male 2nd cousin joined my class. he was a little ham and he became a professional dancer and choreographer. he was judged for years by his peers and constantly picked on, but that never broke his spirit. anyways, I agree with DMSharess in that Stud should be a compliment. he is the star of that troupe.

3. Scout C says:

What???!!! No jazz hands???!!! What kind of dance class is this?

• esackman says:

A dance class with 12 girls and 1 boy. And very nice for him, as he’ll always be in the middle of any dance routine.

• Scout C says:

A male college friend who was a dancer was being harassed by some other football player type guys about this. His reply was along the lines of: Hmmm… You spend your time being knocked down by, falling onto and under, and being patted on the butt by a bunch of other guys. I spend my time holding. lifting, and dancing with a bunch of slim and flexible girls wearing only thin leotards. Hmmm… My comment was a joke about the ubiquitous “jazz hands” of the ’80′s, nothing to do with a boy in a dance class. If you will note, there was no mention of the gender of the class participants.

• tomtion says:

That’s what I pointed out to the guys in middle school drama class a generation before “Glee”. The guys in the class had a ratio of about 8 girls to each guy and plenty of down time to “practice lines”. It was the best kept secret of the theater guys until some of the football players took note of where the popular girls went after school. Then suddenly my male enrollment surged.