Look Who’s Talking

February 22nd, 2014

Look Who’s Talking - Friends

“I found this photo while going through old albums for my grandmother’s viewing.  The couple in the picture were friends of my grandparents.  The woman made puppets and put on puppet shows for kids’ birthdays.  According to one family member, “She wasn’t very good.”  And apparently, she was a little too attached to those puppets.”

(submitted by Lauren)

7 Responses to “Look Who’s Talking”

1. Lauren says:

I made a typo!!!! The next to last sentence is supposed to read “She WAS very good.” I am sorry for any harm or confusion that sentence caused!!!

• Sydney says:

Yay! That changes EVERYTHING! I’ve made typos like that where I mean the opposite of what I wrote. Thanks for taking the time to clear things up. I’m weirdly relieved that this pleasant-looking woman didn’t spend hours and hours of her spare time following her passion, doing something she wasn’t good at.

• Rebecca says:

How funny! Speaking of typos, while reading your caption, I mistakenly saw ‘attracted’ instead of ‘attached’. Well, after LOLing for a bit, I actually scrolled back up to see which was the most good looking puppet!

2. Tess B says:

I love the one with the handmade puppets. My mother was the arts and crafter and she made the hand puppets for the kids to have puppet shows. It kind of fizzled out when my mother passed away. Now I would give anything for one of those puppets and her in a picture.

3. MP says:

I get the context but it also worries me!
    This is a photo that you have access to (friends of extended family) that you’ve posted with a slightly negative caption.
    How do we know that this person (who must be quite elderly now, if still living) will not be humiliated with its posting, caption or comments?
    AFW, you need to set some boundaries!

• Tracey says:

MP — You may as well just post this note under half of all the submitted photos on this site! If this photo and caption “worry” you, maybe you should get your head examined. And if you think AFP (AFW?) needs to set boundaries, perhaps this isn’t a website you should visit.

• Sydney says:

I’m with you, MP. I’m a huge fan of this site and have followed it for years, but I winced when I read this particular caption. Overwhelmingly, AFW isn’t mean-spirited– I can easily convince myself that 99% of the people pictured on these pages can probably laugh at the absurdity of their past fashions and poses. But this one broke my heart a little.