Hide And Seek 2

February 25th, 2014

The invisibility cloak needs new batteries.

(submitted by Fritiof in Sweden)

15 Responses to “Hide And Seek 2”

1. JammyJam says:

I keep re-reading comments and looking back at the pic so I have to add something else…

These children don’t look dead…yet…they just look bored to death. I’m sure if they had to stand there any longer they probably thought that’s what was coming next. I know when I’m waiting on someone to take a pic, especially a group pic, I usually yell through my teeth to hit the button already. Even in this digital age, it seems like it takes forever for some people to get on with it. I can’t imagine what it was like way back then.

2. JammyJam says:

I love love love how on the photo, just underneath the actual picture, it says “Fine Art”. That definitely got a chuckle. :)

3. david rop says:

great photos

4. Warren says:

This is not postmortem. Maybe bad posture, but all 3 kids are alive and well. The deceased do not stare into the camera. Those who have convinced themselves that one of the boys is dead are forcing themselves to see something. The reason this photo is posted is because of the person holding the kids who is hidden under a blanket, as most people have stated, including the caption of the photo. Go figure

5. Jill says:

not a post mortem. This was pretty common – it took a long time to take a picture. Often it is harder to see the mother – the photos are touched up with a lot of white around the children to hide her.

6. Irene says:

I would have to agree that this is a post mordem picture. Photographs were extremely expensive back then so they would include family members especially siblings in the death photos. While this is disturbing now it was the common thing to do to remember your loved ones who have passed on. I immediatly zeroed in on the boy to the left. His hands are not relaxed like his sisters are. Also he is looking in a different direction than the two other children. The person under the blanket is most likely a servant or nanny.

7. Elaine says:

This is a post mortem picture. The mother is alive and holding the infant. The boy on the left is deceased. Note his gaze straight forward while his sisters are glancing towards the side. His eyes are not quite right – note the right eye. His legs are also in an awkward position. Post mortem photography was common, especially with a high mortality rate for children.

• JammyJam says:

…so how is he standing? I clearly see that he is leaning but I also clearly see that it is of his own person that he’s doing so.

8. Kim says:

But it wasn’t as uncommon as you may think to have the mother hidden to take post-morti pictutres. The idea was to make the dead look alive as possible in photographs. Most pictures with your babe sleeping or in s coffin actually came later.

9. allison says:

Thanks Jim. Let’s just suck all the funny out

10. ginger says:

It’s Caspar the Friendly Ghost’s sister. Is her name Rose? Pansy? Daisy? I can’t quite discern which flower…

11. Brandy says:

This could be one of those memento mori pictures. Most that I have seen do not involve covering up the deceased, so maybe, hopefully I’m wrong.

12. Keechy says:

Hmm, we need the nanny to hold the baby so he it doesn’t cry, but we don’t want her in the photo. Aha! Put her under a rug so she looks like part of the scenery! Perfect!

13. Jim says:

Not really awkward. Having a ‘hidden’ mother keep fidgety young ones still during the long-ish exposure times for those old photos and tintypes was pretty much standard practice. The ‘unusual’ or ‘weird’ photos had visible or uncovered mothers with their toddlers.