On Golden Pond

March 27th, 2014

On Golden Pond - Behind The Awkwardness

“A very short-lived photo studio opened at the mall near our house and my brother and I begged for months to get our family photo taken there.  Finally, our parents relented and  our family spent a glorious evening trying a variety of poses and costumes before selecting this gem.  The real highlight came with people’s reactions to the photo after we had it framed and placed over the fireplace.  Because this was before the advent of Photoshop, a lot of people ACTUALLY BELIEVED THAT THIS HAD HAPPENED…even one of my brother’s girlfriends.”

(submitted by Allie)

11 Responses to “On Golden Pond”

1. Stiffy Napalm says:

I wholeheartedly agree with GYPSYWIND!! My family pics with my kids would be freakin awesome!

2. Lorrie Barr says:

And this is why awkardfamilyphotos.com is here today – to relish the era before Photoshop. Thank you.

3. gypsywind says:

I love this, I think someone should open a new chain of photography studios that specializes in corny scenes like this. I would force my family into doing it!

4. AJ says:

OMG Too funny! Me and hubby had a similar pic done at a local animal adventure park (if I find it I might have to upload it to AFP). My hubby had injured his leg & arm so he was all bandaged up and we thought it would be hilarious if we had the picture taken where he was on the hood of the jeep and I was in the driver’s seat with all these jungle animals in the background – making it look like I hit him while we were out on safari. For all our friends in the know it was even funnier as I didn’t drive and everyone knew I’d be a terrible driver if I was let out on the road. How bad a driver? During a practice in an empty parking lot, I almost wrapped the car around a light pole.

5. Laura says:

This is not awkward. This is EPIC!

6. Brian says:

Well I think the awesome facial expressions are what really sold it and convinced friends that this was real.

7. MaryMitch says:

I LOVE IT!

8. Audra says:

This is great!!

9. Christi says:

I really like this! It may be corny, but I think it’s cute. Maybe if it this scene had become really popular, I wouldn’t like it, but I have never this, so it’s still cute to me. I would love to have seen the other choices. This is one of those that gets better and better to the family (I assume, in this case) as the years go by. You liked it as a kid, but now you like it in a whole new way. Fun family!

10. Tim says:

I had a number of girlfriends who would have believed this…..

11. Josh says:

Looks like Peggy from Mad Men!