The Rub

June 18th, 2014

“This is my husband when he was 6 or 7. His grandma sent him to school on PICTURE DAY in this shirt. You can’t see the bottom, but the shirt actually says “Rub it easy, make it hard.” No joke. His grandma obviously was clueless. Needless to say, he didn’t wear it to school again.”

(submitted by Wendy)

32 Responses to “The Rub”

1. Julie says:

Grandma was not clueless. She knew. It was her private joke I bet.

2. jeff says:

I had a shirt just like it in the late 70′s as a 20 something. The shirt says, *Rub it easy, make it hard.* It was a slogan for the Protect It automotive wax. I wish I still had mine.

3. Ann3073 says:

I thought the pic was hilarious until I read the comments! I have laughed til I cried!!

4. MarkInSF says:

This is why school photographers should always have a supply of neutral clothes in various sizes. In the case of t-shirts, many don’t look that strange inside out. The problem is when neither the kid nor their parents gst the shirt or they think it’s funny. Schools, send home written policies on acceptable clothing. We wore some ugly leisure suits when I was in high school, but there was no message beyond our lack of taste.

5. Jillian says:

My dad used to work for a major lock company in the late 1970s. They had a product at the time where you could unlock your front door by holding up a special card near a sensor, rather than using a key in a deadbolt. My mom had a shirt, which must have been part of their ad campaign that said, “You don’t have to stick it in, just hold it close.” I was an adult before it saw the shirt and got the joke.

6. Heather S says:

Back in 1977, there was this big time King Tut exhibit in New Orleans, where we lived. My mother got a shirt that has two pics of the famous king’s head at the top right and left and says, “Hands off my tuts” because, you know. In the third grade, we were studying ancient Egypt, so I brought this tee in as an artifact. I would have worn it, but this was Catholic school, so I had to wear a uniform. I guess I was a pretty slow kid because it wasn’t until the look on that teacher’s face when I unfolded the shirt in front of the class that I suddenly “got” it.

7. Ronda says:

When I was about 11, my parents got me a shirt from somewhere that a picture of two sunny-side-up eggs right over my chest. I don’t know why they got it for me or where, but I remember wearing it pretty often.

8. Ego Nemo says:

Could it have been a kid’s sports sponsor?

When I was a kid, a local small manufacturer — which provided a patented metal-treating process to the region’s steel industry — sponsored a Little League team.

The players wore T-shirts with the company’s matter-of-fact slogan:

“We make your tool hard and slippery.”

9. Lou says:

Could you make the pic a little bigger please? I can barely see anything.

10. Pankaj says:

Ha ha ha lolz the comments are even more hilariious

11. Tim F says:

In 8th grade I played saxophone in the jazz band. I got suspended for wearing a shirt that said, “How about a little oral sax”……My parents, big jazz enthusiasts, thought it was hilarious.

12. Eldo says:

If this is the same shirt that I remember from the 1970s, it has “Protect it” written below “Make it hard”.

13. Joanne says:

When I was a kid in the seventies my parents let me get a glittery iron-on of a beaver beside a river with trees in the background. It said, “Save a tree, eat a beaver.” I thought it was an environmental message. I don’t know what my parents were thinking.

14. Mary Lopez says:

Back in the late 70′s when I was student-teaching I conducted a parent-teacher conference with a father who was wearing a t-shirt that said, “I choked Linda Lovelace.”

15. Meredith S. says:

My parents, for some reason I do not wish to examine at all, had this bright yellow t-shirt with a radio on it, the (glittery, iron-on, very late 70′s/early80′s) knobs right over where the boobs would be in the shirt. The logo said “Don’t touch the knobs–they’re perfectly adjusted”. I loved the glittery-ness and wanted to wear the shirt all the time, not getting why my mother would take it away and hide it from me each time I found it and hauled it out to beg to wear to school.

16. Shannon says:

I can not stop laughing. That is hilarious. Why would there be a shirt made for a child that age?

• Brandy says:

It’s funny you’d ask that because I’ve wondered the same thing about a shirt I owned back in the 80′s. I was all of abt. 10 years old and I wore my Olivia Newton-John t-shirt every chance I got. On the front it read “Let’s Get Physical” and on the back it read “Let Me Hear Your Body Talk”. I didn’t know why the older boys got such a kick out of it. Like most innocent people, I believed the song was about exercise. No joke, my younger sister had one just like it…in HER size. X)

17. Suze says:

When I was about 8 or 9, I had a friend of the same age who wore a t-shirt that said, “Ittie-bittie titty committee” – no joke. I think her mom or dad thought it was “cute”. That was in 1980!

18. thePenciler says:

Clueless? You sure she’s not suffering from dementia?

19. Angie says:

Grandma should not be oblivious to rubbing it easy and making it hard, regardless of her age. Really? This concept is not new…

20. Stella says:

Why on Earth would that make a shirt with that saying in a children’s size?

One day I was helping a kindergarten class and a rather large boy was wearing a shirt that his aunt had gotten – it say “This is what a hot nurse looks like.”

21. Scout C says:

The awkwardness comes not from the school picture of this boy in this shirt, but from the fact that an adult actually purchased this shirt for this boy in the first place.