A Proper Burial

June 27th, 2014

A Proper Burial - Kids

“This photo is of me and my son who just turned 11. He was born at home and the midwives stashed his placenta in our freezer. As the years went on, I couldn’t just throw it out or leave it somewhere – I made it! So after 11 years, we bought a blueberry bush and I had him bury it under there. He was thrilled.  My dad dug the hole and the cat was trying to steal the placenta.”

(submitted by Emily)

78 Responses to “A Proper Burial”

1. keepingItReal says:

Meh – A few years back I woulda hurled. Now, I remind myself not to judge – I kept all 3 of my children’s belly buttons…. they hang out in my jewelry box :)

2. cljohn2000 says:

It looks like he’s giving a sacrifice to the garden gnome. “Here you go evil garden gnome, now that i’ve made a sacrifice to you, you agree to not kill me and my family in our sleep”

3. Memmett says:

Only child? I’m guessing that’s the case. My best friend (god love her) has saved several things of her only child. One thing I found in a prescription bottle and it was rather fuzzy. I asked it was and she told me it was his umbilical cord. YUCK! I told her I didn’t think he wanted it – he was 9 at the time and I threw it away. He is almost 34 now and has never asked for it so I guess it was okay to throw.

• NapalmNinjaBunny says:

It wasn’t yours to toss. A mother keeps things that are important to her. You don’t sound like much of a bestie.

4. Sheri says:

I find this funny and great! For those grossed out, at least they didn’t eat it! Lots of other countries eat the placenta and many animals do that. It is just not the “norm” here in Western society, so it is amusing and shocking!

I bet this kid will grow up wise and worldly! We’ll hear his stories on The Moth!

5. Laura says:

Want to chime in to say, you go mom! Be your bad self, your child is not scarred, he is clearly awesome!

6. Dani says:

That kid’s a good sport. That’s a “Yeah, my mom is really strange, but I love her so I’ll humor her” smile.

7. John says:

Who the hell keeps a placenta in their freezer for 11 years!? That’s disgusting. Although I can see it being a comedy:

“Oh this is delicious, where’d you get the meat?”
    “I got out of the back of your fridge.”
    “There was no meat in my fridge….”
    “Yeah there was, a big red heap of raw hamburger at the back”
    “Oh, my God! That was my son’s placenta!”

8. cindy says:

Is there an “eeew” Family photo section?

9. jb says:

That kid doesn’t look too thrilled to me.

10. jb says:

Gonna Vom.

11. Morikahjo says:

Look at the dad in the background. He’s like, “This is why I drink.” “Dammit Honey, we already can’t afford to send the boy to college, who’s gonna pay his therapy bills?”

12. Ginnintonx says:

But did you watch the birth video together at the placental planting party afterwards?