An Awkward Letter To Ellen Show

September 9th, 2010

Dear Ellen Show,

It was a little awkward when we saw some our photos appear on your show last season and now, thanks to a member of the AFP community,  it’s been brought to our attention that you’ve actually borrowed the name of our site. We want to thank you for providing us with this awkward moment and look forward to seeing what wonderful ideas will inspire you in the future.

Best,

AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com & AwkwardFamilyPetPhotos.com

26 Responses to “An Awkward Letter To Ellen Show”

1. Matt says:

It’s not Ellen so much as lazy-*** writers who need material and don’t bother with little unimportant things called “references”. I really wouldn’t be surprised if the bulk of talk show material (jokes and other things) come from other sources.

2. just so you know, after they got called out, they changed the name to “Bad Paid for Photos- Pet Edition”

in their defense, they’ve been doing a whole bad family picture thing for a while.

3. Kelly says:

I am pretty sure that I saw you guys on Ellen, that is how I learned about the blog. Are you forgetting about the millions of people who learned about you through her show?

4. Ally says:

Hello! Your entire business model is taking photos you’ve found on the internet and/or strangers send in to you, slapping watermarks on them, and then making money off of this. Your site is enjoyable but I have zero sympathy to the argument that other people are ripping you off if you run a site that is just photos other people took, with watermarks stuck on top – unless you’re sharing in the royalties of your books with your submitters, in which case I take back what I said. Do you seriously think you’re the first person who has ever put together a bunch of funny photos of animals?

• Sassy says:

The photos are not the problem. The fact that Ellen has used the COPYRIGHTED name of Awkward Family Pet Photos is. She could use it if 1. she had asked permission or 2. put a link up to this actual site

• Lily says:

She stole the name and photos. Point Blank. She is in the wrong.

5. SF_extra_sour says:

That is sucktacular. “If it’s good enough to use, it’s good enough to pay you for it.” I’m RT’ing on my networks . . . good luck getting some $ outta these plagarizing losers . . .

6. h.t. says:

her social media people need to be fired tomorrow.

7. Journalist says:

Sorry for the theft.
    But I wouldn’t use the acronym “AFP” too widely, if I were you. It’s an international trademark of a news agency.

8. Send a DMCA takedown notice.

9. cincha says:

Umm, I don’t see why a letter to Ellen from a lawyer would be ‘taking themselves too seriously.” She’s a big fish rippin’ off smaller fish. You don’t have to sue her a**, but if your name is copyrighted, is she allowed to use it? Remember when the ‘Dancing Waters’ people sued Letterman about 25 years ago? He had to quit using the trademarked ‘Dancing Waters’ name for his colored water pool (the NBC show, not the CBS one).

She’s in the wrong. Y’all are too nice about it.

10. Lori says:

I think it’s nice that AFP did not mention lawyers and is just sending greetings Ellen. Too many people take themselves too serious and jump to lawsuits. Good for AFP and I like Ellen also.

11. Erica says:

Very awkward and uncool.

12. yolanda says:

You really ought to have your lawyer send her team a greeting card. Maybe she’ll switch to working WITH you and help you improve your bottom line.

13. Fred says:

God that is sooo awkward.
    Shame on Ellen and her people.

14. L says:

Wow,
    This makes me wonder what else Ellen has “borrowed.” You handled the situation with class.

15. Ashley says:

I love the Ellen show.

I thought for sure she joined together with this site.

16. BeQui says:

The LEAST she could do is give you credit! And the most she could do is give you millions of dollars! I vote you sue for copyright infringement!

17. Wow, that’s so awkward I feel like I need to hide out in the bathroom at work until it’s all over.

18. LMN says:

Wow, that is really “effen” lame of Ellen to copy you guys! BOO!!!

19. jen says: