The Wedding Toast

April 3rd, 2012

As many of you may know, my grandparents are an inspiration to me. While they are the two funniest people I know, they are also incredible role models– married for 72 years! Well, today marks my first anniversary and I couldn’t help but re-post this amazing wedding toast they recorded for my wife and I last year. Mike Co-Founder, AFP

241 Responses to “The Wedding Toast”

1. Bob Sacamano says:

Absolutely awesome video – both genuinely funny and genuinely touching. Thanks so much for sharing it, and best wishes for a long, happy marriage!

2. Becky says:

My grandma passed away a couple monthes ago and her and my grandpa were almost to there 60th anniversary. They were so in love up until the day she passed away. He is trying to get by without her now and I know he still loves her as much as he did when he married her. They had a marriage that most people would envy. They were made for each other. I knew what true love was by watching them. LOVED this video and it sure made me laugh!! Congrats on your marriage and I hope its as happy and as long lived as your grandparents are! :)

3. Ijust loved This as evey one has. He is 94 it says in some place so hewas 21 0r 22 and she was 920r93 so 17or 18 but i am 78 and we lived simpley ssstuff did’nt take priority in our lives ,clean house clean kids and well fed and no fast food every night . So this is the out come of two people facing what is thrown our way, and sticking together , Thanks for being there for your children and grand children and great grands . when i have a house ful of them i amin heaven love to both of you and the newely weds.

4. Elly says:

My friend sent me this video as it reminded her of the When Harry Met Sally sequence. I, of course, loved it and was shocked when I first saw it, because I actually met Kenny about two years ago at Bagel Snack place when I visiting my grandmother. He was wearing a t-shirt with his great grandkids on it and was chatting with me and giving me wonderful life advice. I so enjoyed seeing his sweet wife whom he told me about. Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for sharing this widely!

5. Megan says:

I did a spit take when they were talking about the topless girl, and he (jokingly, I thought) said he wanted someone to take his picture with her and they actually did! Hilarious!

6. Dale Powell says:

These seasond citizens are just great,My parents were togrther 60 years and very much in love as the people in the video are. My wifes grandparents were married 72 years also. My wife and I have been married for 24 plus years, I will be 112 years old if we are able to make 72 years of marriage. I have my doubts about ever reaching this remarkable milestone. I love them both. Thanks for sharing these womderful people with us…

7. Ren says:

This is just wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone. God bless them. Congratulations to you and your wife, may you have a very long and loving marriage as your grandparents. Beautiful video xoxoxo

8. Pete says:

Well, I picked up that they were both in their 90′s, so it’s entirely within the realm of reason that they’ve been married for 72 years. I shared this with my folks who’ve been married 65 1/2 years themselves and they thought it was hilarious! Thanks for sharing and all the best in the future.

9. j. larsen says:

they are so cute and rare to see such a long marriage. hope to be like that when my husband and i are their age. congrats on ur own marriage.

10. Betty K says:

Thank you for sharing !!! this video is so funny, sweet and so real. Your grandparents
    are too much, I loved the kiss and laughing at the end. Congradulations and best wishes.

11. Simplydee says:

Too cute! Loved the video and it made me laugh! The greatest thing about your grandparents is that they communicate with each other; still enjoy each other’s company and they still love each other after all of these years. Just wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

12. erica says:

I love them! I never had grandparents and I would be so happy if I had some like yours! They’re so cute, wise and happy!!

13. MMM says:

I love, love, LOVE your Grandma’s giddy reaction to kissing your Grandpa! So very sweet and funny. I can only hope that I feel the same about my husband after that many years. :)

14. Aaron Krosnick says:

Beautiful! You should treasure this.

• Barry Cutler says:

Aaron Krosnick…Did you attend Hillhouse HS in the 1950s?…Barry Cutler, Hillhouse ’55

15. Jennifer says:

That was wonderful. “Always keep food in your Frigidaire!!” Reminds me of my grandparents.

16. Mary Fatula says:

That was precious! They have a few years on my folks as far as an anniversary, and what a great sense of humor!

17. Rose says:

Very funny tape but I agree with the only one person who said 72 years. How old were they when they got married. If they were 16 (and I doubt that) that would make them 88 now. Maybe so but I wonder.

18. Tamela says:

This was BEAUTIFUL.
    They took the time to set up &I learn the video stuff to do this.
    This video in itself is a labor of LOVE to their grandchildren.
    What a wonderful couple…..no wonder they have been married for 72 years.!!
    I especially loved his “I agree”, “yup”, and head nods in the background.
    They clearly have done whatever necessary to keep each other happy for these 72 years.
    WHAT A WONDERFUL TRIBUTE FROM GRANDMA &I GRANDPA TO BEGIN YOUR NEW LIFE TOGETHER.
    Enjoy your next 72+ years. Congratulations.

Tammy & Jim Kellogg (18 years)

19. rebecca says:

for those of you who might think this is scripted ..it was not….i should know because these folks are my parents!!

20. Dana says:

wait…72 years? How old were they when they got married..? :S

21. maria(shorty) says:

that video was priceless, I would really and truely take their advice. you can only know best by living together that long. they made a commitment and stuck to it. God Bless them and the newly weds as well.

22. georganne myers says:

Congrats to both newlyweds and their wonderful grandparents. I’m so envious as I lost my soulmate of 32 years a couple of years ago.

23. Lois says:

This video is like the best of the most hilarious Woody Allen movies. Your grandparents are
    a riot! And so loving and sweet. I’m sure they are so disappointed that they won’t be at your wedding so send them the video and then hope that your grandfather doesn’t drop it on the floor. Thanks so much for letting me see this adorable video.

24. Katie Rogers says:

They are both truly PRICELESS!!
    Mike, you are so lucky to have them as your grandparents and Sue, you are so lucky to join that family!
    Thanks for sharing Kenny and Selma with the world!
    CHEERS!

25. Lisa Lord says:

That is one of the sweetest and funniest things I have ever seen. What amazing people! Thank you for sharing. And thanks to your grandparents for sharing their wisdom. I have to say my favorite part was their laughter at the end. Now that’s what keeps a marriage together after many, many years! Being able to laugh together. And congratulations to you!

26. Kelly Davis says:

God Bless them! I watched this and it made me miss my grandparents tremendously. They were married for around 65 yrs (not sure of exact number) My grandma was so lost when my grandpa passed away and she passed away about 9 months after he did from cancer. I loved them with all of my heart and miss them everyday.

One question for Kenny, in the photo of the women with no top on…Does Kenny have any clothes on? I looked at that 5 times trying to figure it out! Haha

27. L Monfre says:

I noticed when they disagreed, they still kept their ears open, listening then responding. Like a great tennis match, (or sprinkling in humor, a game of ping pong table tennis). This video is the beauty of healthy communication at its best!

28. Karen says:

Why did you pull the video????

29. Dennis says:

What a great film! I wish you all the happiness and congratulations on your marriage. To your grandparents, what a great couple, I love the way they interact, and the ending was worth a million! Mazel Tov!

30. Karen Mangano Reynolds says:

They are absolutely amazing!!! God bless them both and congratulations Mike and Sue!!!

31. Andee says:

One of the most amazing video’s I’ve seen!!! Should be on national tv. For me the best part was the end when she was blushing and laughing!

32. David says:

Both funny and heartwarming, but check out Anthony Cortese’s touching message above.

33. S Moe. says:

Mark made good points but all and all this is what true love is made of.
    Pure laughter and enjoyment.

Wait minute!!!! (He is funny). I truly would have love to see the emotions of the people at that wedding beacuse this is something truly to remember.

Cherish these two because I don’t even know them. But they have special place in my heart..

34. Jane Appleton says:

Hugely heartwarming!!!! I love these people!! How wonderful that you shared them with us. I’ll never forget them — Thank you so much!

35. Lorie S says:

I love these two… They are the sweetest couple in the world.
    God bless them and wish them many more years of love and happiness.

36. Mark Shulkin says:

This was too good a peice not to comment on more philosphically

The actual tips for a happy marriage (or life) were not the numbered ones. What moved me (to tears)was thier laughter at the end.

They had matured enough emotionally to share their “real” personalities publically but feeling self esteem about who they are rather than shame. Sure its a.matriarchal dominated marriage and he has had sexual thoughts about other women and she controls him about picking things up around the house. They.ve had a lot of marital quarrels and still bicker– but they see the humor and fun of having loved and still living their life. jThat’s what they are telling the newly weds to look forward too.

Theirs is not the religious philosphy with happy endings or just deserts at the end of life and following the 10 commandments about being respectful, controling your anger, sinful thoughts, etc. NOR is it the scientific philopsohy at the other end of the philosphy spectrum which is “outcome oriented” expecting certain standards, norms and statistical probabilities.

This couples philosophy is more Existential, in that randomly good and bad things come up and it;s how you deal with them that makes the difference This philosophy requires a modicum of life experience the young couple probably has not had yet, It applies to everything in life, the occasional auto accidents, physical illoness, the ups and downs of investing and not being able to predict the future, generally.

When you began with “It may remind you of someone you know.” I think you undeerstood that Sunny and i and everyone we know is living that same kind of life.

37. linda says:

They are so beautiful! God Bless them…72 years! We should all be so lucky and so wise!!!
    Their grandchildren should be as blessed as they are……Best Wishes on their new marriage!

38. Anthony Cortese says:

My wife, Mietta Lenzi Cortese and I, Anthony Cortese were married for 48 and a half years. we still would have been married today but the lord called and I am living by myself. If every-
    body had a wife like my Mietta, there would not be divorces and that is why I did not marry again, I could not of been lucky to find another Mietta. Mietta I will be seeing you soon, I will
    be 86 this Sunday and I do not believe it will much longer before I join you and I can’t wait to
    see you and kiss you again. ALWAYS YOUR LOVING HUSBAND, ANTHONY

• Ginny says:

God bless you, Anthony. Have faith that Mietta will welcome you with open arms.

• Laura says:

Dear Anthony, What you wrote here is just so Beautiful!!! Mietta was/is a very fortunate person. I should only hope of finding that love you and Meitta have for each other, in this life. All my best wishes for you. Thank you for showing me true love really does exist !

39. Joanne Colen says:

That was priceless. I haven’t laughed so much in a long time.

40. Susan and Richard says:

What a loving, funny, happy couple. God Bless! We are celebrating 32 glorious years today..April 24. If there are no topless pool babes around, hopefully we will make 72 years, too!

41. Sima Yenta says:

This is the best and they are everyone’s grandparents. I loved it. Good luck to the newly weds and do take their advice…it is perfect (from someone married almost 50 years, only I have gray hair).

42. Wendy E. says:

What an adorable couple– I wonder if they taped this in “Boca Del Vista?” Congrats. to both the newly married couple AND Papa & Grandma!

Wendy E.,Long Island, NY

43. Denise says:

Love this video clip..as my daughter is planning her marriage this is so timely. My parents have been married for 60 years and the tips shared here are the same tips my parents shared with all of us, so there is really something to it! Thank you for sharing.

44. Cityguy says:

They are the BEST! Gives humanity hope! It should happen to us all,

45. Maureen says:

Thank you for a great message I wish I had just a little of there wisdom. what a wonderfull out look this one I will remember for a lomg time thanks for sharing the best to them and the newly weds lol over and over:)

46. Eileen says:

The most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. God Bless them and the newlyweds!

47. Sharon Garber says:

Thank you so much for this lovely and timely message. I will now send it to my daughter and her husband who were married 3 days ago. And guess where they are now. You guessed it-Italy. I hope your example will guide my children as they embark on one of the greatest journeys of their lives. God bless you both.

48. janice says:

funniest, cutest, truest thing ive seen in awhile! they are great!

49. I believe that Kenny and Selma were spying on me and my wife and decided to make a sitcom out of our relationship. They nailed it! Just great!!!!! Thanks for the memories.

50. Andrea says:

Thank you so much for sharing this video. What a lovely couple, funny and so full of life. I wish grandma and grandpa continuing good health and mazeltov to the newly weds.

Best wishes,