Solid Gold

February 28th, 2012

How many awkward poses can you find?

(submitted by Graeme)

94 Responses to “Solid Gold”

1. Julie says:

Oh. My.

2. Borz says:

I need to hire the choreographer as a consultant. With moves like that, I’m sure I could be super popular.

3. PhotoActSing says:

What. an. Awkward. Fail!

4. shayne says:

I thought I’d seen all the awkward the world has to offer on this site.

Apparently, I was wrong.

5. ohsnap says:

The singers in this video were VERY popular in Finland and still are, although the women has been dead for a long time. She became an alcoholic. Danni (the man) still is a pop-icon there and still sings. You can find his videos on YouTube and he has a website. Believe it or not.

6. Jamie says:

i think the beginning of this video was the basis for the “just dance” games.

7. Anne says:

I think it steals from Soul Train a little too @ the end.

8. wreck says:

I’m addicted! I have watched this 15 times to see something new!!! I have watched the you-tube parodies as well (VERY FUNNY!!!!). Thoughts: Why are there 7 girls to only 2 guys??……. The tall guy is a dead ringer for Kramer from Seinfeld…….. what’s up with a dancer carrying a cat across the screen?…….. why are they eating snacks as the car blasts into space at the end??

9. Taylor says:

Oh my goodness! This is classic! I think the choreographer (and the singers for that much) were on something.

10. Karen says:

What were the dancers eating at the end and WHY?

11. Nini says:

Oh dear… its like Sandra Dee, a crooning He-Man meets socialist video music aesthetics in a Panton dreamland.

Has anyone noticed that the scenery in the left half is shaking like during an earthquake?

My favorite part is when the dancers come back in after the first lines of the song… this is just too much!

12. Barry Gibb says:

This video is strangely addicting – the song is catchy too.

My favorite parts: the seven foot guy dancing with what is apparently a harmonica

the line “I want you to be my left front fender…”

13. Jo says:

As a dancer and choreographer, I feel the back up dancers “moves” do not match the words of the song, and that’s what makes this so “deliciously” awkward!!!. This is a love song, and yet the back up dancers seem to be doing dance steps that are not at all soft or romantic, and in fact look more like moves from an old aerobics routine. (And, their dancing is not together at all, causing more akwardness!) Their “costumes” don’t fit the “love” song either as they are reminisent of a cheerleader uniform. Yikes, it’s a total mis-mash of mis-matched ideas!!

14. Rebecca says:

Wait. Was there ever a point in history when this was considered normal? Please someone enlighten me.

15. Ellie says:

I love this futuristic gem. Too many awkward poses to count!

16. Betty says:

At 2:08, is the guy in the back carrying a cat?

17. Maddie says:

1:16-1:30 im gonna calm that the stubborn lawn mower!

18. Maddie says:

Woah the song pretty catchy really but thats the strangest group of not- so- back ground dancers ive ever seen.

19. Amelia says:

I saw this video a few years ago, and I have been trying to find it again ever since! So funny.

20. Sally says:

Michael Jackson must have got his famous crotch grabbing from this old video. Hilarious!

21. Heather says:

Reminds me of old aerobics class routines: grapevine, cha cha cha!

22. BigKahuna58 says:

Saturday Night Fever meets the Brady Bunch meets the Mickey Mouse Club meets Harry Potter (reference the flying car).

23. LCN says:

This is so wonderful in it’s awfulness yet sincerity of the performers! It’s more like a high school talent show, complete with homemade disco ball! I’ve been playing this over and over just because it makes me smile!

24. Twinny says:

What I like best at this choreo ist the “flow”.
    One Move – stop (& stare) – totally different move – stop – next move…

Don`t choreographers usually trie to create something ongoing?
    It looks a little bit like “Uh – I wanna have this move in there”
    “But it doesn’t fit in with the rest, I cannot link any move with this new one”
    “Well, then just pause and start new”
    “Hmm – sounds like a great idea”
    - repeat over and over -

25. Cyberg00se says:

Multiple face lifts later, Danny is still going. But those dancers! I’m going to call this, “Doing the Awkward.”

26. DeAnn says:

This is like Lawrence Welk on acid.

27. Cpt. Haddock says:

1:49 ROTFL

28. peter says:

The “grease ” ending in the car is perfect!

29. H.P. says:

“Well, this looks interesting… Hmmm…” *bewilderness starts* “… ?” *starts laughing* “This is beast!!” *Tries not to die from laughing*

30. Mike says:

This video has taught me how to be super sexy pretender. I use my skills on landlord’s grandmother. Is very good!

31. Michelle says:

Oh My God!! Cannot stop laughing. The dance moves are quite extraordinary!

32. Les says:

Where parody and reality collide!

33. LorettaNC says:

Anyone else hear David Bowe? :-)

34. JanJan says:

I’m so proud to be a Finn! :D One of my all time favourite videos. Gotta love the choreography.

35. Stephanie says:

My personal favorite is “Electronik Supersonik”, where the sun rises in the west.

36. Hanne says:

hahah oh my god, I found this a few years ago aswell, haahaha it’s a real gem. XD your lips are taste of wine!!

37. Biribi says:

The choreographer of this awesome dance HAS to be inducted in some kind of Hall of Fame!!!!! Quintessential squirminess from beginning to end, with the indefinite age of the dancers, the superb outfits, great hairdos, the poses and the all-around lack of sync… SO AWESOME it hurts!

38. Jim says:

I always wondered what else the Brady Kids’ choreographer had done.

39. Frank says:

I laughed unstopably till I cried and almost choked myself. And all these years I thought that ‘Beat it’ was the ultimate video of synchronised dancing. Fantastic!

40. somechick says:

Who choreographed this? lol!

41. Zebediah says:

This is my new favorite thing of all time.

42. BONNIE says:

• jPekka says:

The ”MTV” actually refers to a Finnish TV network ”Mainos-TV” (now MTV3) instead of Music Television.

But, still, you’re right: this happened in another galaxy, long time ago.

• Mic C says:

Your comment cracked me up. Granted, not as much as the dancing aliens. You are not pretender, Bonnie.

43. Oh, this has been one of our favorites at school for a couple of years now! At least once a month, my student beg me to let them see it in class.
    This is a true classic.
    My favorite part is the random really tall guy crossing the stage for no apparent reason. :)

44. Anne says:

Ah, yes – as exquisite as this choreography is, it might be even more magnificent if the ensemble’s wearing bridesmaid dresses, tuxes, and a wedding gown. Yikes!

45. Connie says:

Hap’nin clothes, Soul Train caliber dance moves, *sigh* I wanna live in this video!

46. Christine says:

Go Spartans!

47. Mic C says:

The unrhythmic auditions went swimmingly. They make it all look so easy.

48. Juanita Davis says:

Award winning choreography….so in sync with the music!

49. Kathy says:

Happy Days, Grease, and Saturday Night Fever all in one holodeck program — and they said it couldn’t be done.

• Leyla says:

Oh my god, I didn’t think about it, but it’s so true! I nearly died laughing at the end when they flew off in the car, it’s such a ripoff of “Grease”

50. Emily says:

This has been one of my all-time favorite videos since 2005 when a friend graciously introduced me to its majesty. And THEN a few years later I found the original record itself in a tiny place in San Francisco. The stars aligned.
    It’s pure poetry: How can I be sure you’re not pretender? Your lips are taste of wine…
    Next up is learning all the dance moves and breaking them out at a wedding.

• VGtar says:

Please bear in mind, that if you do these moves all by yourself without other dancers, you really would look quite silly and perhaps not do this magnificent choreography the justice it so clearly deserves (just saying).People might laugh at you. However, should you need a date (and dance partner) for this wedding, then I might be able to bring a cat.