The Watering Hole

July 3rd, 2009

The Watering Hole - Babies

Like we all didn’t think this is what the bidet was for at first.

(submitted by Steven)

60 Responses to “The Watering Hole”

1. Marianne says:

I’m French. I don’t know how people use them in Spain or other countries, but here bidets were common until a few decades ago and I’ve never heard of someone using them as intended (that it to wash one’s genitals after, not instead of wiping!) except maybe the elderly who don’t take a shower every day. Most people use bidets to wash their feet, to soak clothes before washing them or they just don’t use them at all! And it is the same drinking water as in any faucet in the house, so in most cases it is safer to drink from a bidet than shaking someone’s hand since they might not wash their hands after using the toilets!
    Nevertheless, I’ve never seen an “ancient” bidet with a waterfountain-like spray, so such items may be new and thus used as intended, making it dangerous to drink from them.

2. Rick says:

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

3. Sarah says:

Haha! I thought it was a babybath…until i was 14….embarassing…i think yes

4. Krysia says:

I used to think the bidet was for washing my feet. My sister and I would use it for that purpose, and also to soak some of our delicates. We only got access to a bidet once or twice a year when we’d go to Spain to visit our family, so it wasn’t until I was in middle school did I find out what it was REALLY used for!!

But now that I know, I wish I had one here in the States. You’d never go back to toilet paper again.

5. renee says:

Damn those mandatory water restrictions

6. Regan says:

Ha! I have pictures of my son when he was about 2 playing in a bidet. I used to use one as a Barbie fountain/swimming pool. But drinking out of one is even better. (eew)

7. Rondi says:

Bidet = Bad-Day

8. Jess says:

i am digging the bathroom tile!

• Sue says:

It was dk. brown & white…not bad for being in a tiny village in Spain…here in the US the time was a dreadful gray followed with a peptol bismol toilet,sink & tub. It is gone finally. :o)

9. El Kev says:

A little known, and hidden until this point, photo of Crocodile Dundee as a baby.

• Rhandy says:

Guys – this are great site! Greets to you. Sometimes when hologramming mylesf I note that universe is hologram too. Wow. See no mortality. When doing your fings, like eating, drinking, toilet-shuffling, fink about this and give fanks!!

10. tee says:

I forgot that in the 70′s parents let the little ones drink from the toilet. This newfangled fear of E.Coli has ruined that fun forever.

11. nite owl says:

Awkward confession: this happened to me on my honeymoon……

12. Larry N says:

Anybody worked in a factory with the round stone hand washer with a foot pedal to control the water?We could be glad no camera was allowed in the mens room

13. DP says:

Europe has really short drinking fountains…

14. TJ says:

Love the tile work… looks European…
    Sorry, forgot to add great post! Can’t wait to see your next post!

15. TJ says:

Love the tile work… looks European…

16. Jeff9 says:

A hand held bathroom bidet sprayer is so much better than a stand alone bidet or bidet seat and this is why:1. It’s less expensive (potentially allot less) 2. You can install in yourself = no plumber expense 3. It works better by providing more control of where the water spray goes and a greater volume of water flow. 4. It requires no electricity and there are few things that can go wrong with it. 5. It doesn’t take up any more space, many bathrooms don’t have room for a stand alone bidet. 6. You don’t have to get up and move from the toilet to the bidet(for the stand alones) which can be rather awkward at times to say the least.

17. MST says:

Even the family dog is shaking his head in disbelief.

18. Sue says:

Hello..this is Steven’s mom..that is a bidet in Spain,but we never used it for what one is usually used for. In fact,,most bidets the water shoots up ( to clean those areas,haha) ..well..this one came out just like a water fountain, and so that is why Steven went right for it.ha. It was clean water..the same water that came out of the sink. So relax everyone. As far as the decor..the tiles were white with brown trim & the floors were marble all throughout the apartment. It was very nice for when we were there in 1983-1986. Not sure why the photo shows light green toilet paper..it was white, that we bought on the AF base in Zaragoza. adios!

• Kate says:

I really hope that it was at least new housing! haha I cringe at the thought of it being an apartment someone else had lived in before you guys were there!

• lovedoctormike says:

C’mon and admit it! The kids’ in Spain, doin’ the tourist thing, had a little too much Sangria the night before…..

• El Kev says:

Leave it to the dude’s mom to ruin everyone’s fun.

• El Kev says:

I just now noticed. If it come out just like a water fountain, does that mean it comes out looking like a compound bow?

• Gus says:

Our son did the same thing in Italy. Also used it for a sink to wash his hands. We never used it as a bidet, so why not, it’s just water.

19. WVBOBW says:

Wonder if the dog was jealous?

20. Melba says:

Have a nice bidet!

21. Xtina says:

Please tell me that’s not reclaimed water…please, please, please…

22. Just my opinion says:

No no no it’s just so wrong!

23. Blendin says:

Otherwise known as a European Shower.

24. Because preventing the child from drinking from the same spout used to clean fecal matter would just be silly.

25. Lily says:

“And how much will I weigh if I drink THIS much?”

26. lynne says:

yuck…..why did they let this happen??

27. StEpHaNiE says:

I’m not sure which is more awkward — kid drinking out of bidet, or the 70′s decor…..

28. Abby says:

For some reason I thought the kid was drunk and was throwing up on the bidet.

29. zib says:

hey maybe the parents just wanted a toddler accessible drinking fountain in the bathroom. they might be documenting its first use. (btw pale green toilet paper ?)

30. Kate says:

That was me on my first day in Europe after I moved here… and I moved here when I was 21… awkward.

31. HUH says:

It isn’t for drinking? Damn!!!!

32. BroadwayBohemia says:

Oh dear.

33. Kerry says:

Ha, yes I think it’s so they can embarrass their children by putting the photo in the paper on their 18th birthday…

34. Penny says:

You don’t know how much I love the fact that his parents didn’t stop him but rather ran for the camera! Same stuff happens in my home…kid covers himself in perm marker, the camera comes out…kid ‘accidently’ paints the toilet…out comes the camera.