Playing It Cool

July 8th, 2009

Playing It Cool - Siblings

Just two guys chillaxing in Amish Country.

(submitted by Doug)

133 Responses to “Playing It Cool”

1. Stone says:

Was Lee Majors shooting “The Fall Guy” when this was taken? Must have with that truck in the background.

2. Otis says:

If this buggy’s a rockin….

3. DaDewd says:

This is in no form of Amish Country. Look at the army-approved battle tank/Hummer lookalike in the background! Clearly, they are elsewhere in Pennsylvania.

4. Frank says:

All was well until billy stepped in horse crap and ruined his white tennies.

5. Annie says:

Amish people make the best soft pretzels.

Wait though….Amish country with a Hummer in the background?? Ok…?

6. Bastet11 says:

Even the horse is laughing.

7. kandace says:

i love the big hummer parked in the driveway in the background.
    very amish.

8. Amanda says:

Weirdness. I have a photo of me standing by this same tree about 15 years past the date of this photo…. I looker much cooler though. Just sayin’.

9. N says:

Hey, I’ve lived in Lancaster ‘most my life. There IS a city here. and Lutherans with purple hair, too.

10. April says:

Why do people insist on taking the picture captions so seriously!?? Just enjoy the site for what it is and stop reading so much into it.

11. Taylor says:

Lol. This is the tree that Father Billy almost cut down to make a new Amish cart, before the boys insisted on keeping it. They just had to take a picture to show their teacher what they accomplished while on Vacation. Those exciting knee high tube-socks, and shorty shorts really add something extra to the photo.
    The horse looks like he’s either choking, or pleading for the boys to put longer shorts on.
    OH. And is that an Army Vehicle in the background?
    Hmm..? Amish Country under attack!

12. meg says:

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaah the caption is perfect!

13. Stephanie says:

14. deborah says:

ahh bless! even the horse is laughing!

15. princessluceval says:

I love how the stripes on the tube socks look as if they exactly match the trim on the polo shirt. That’s stylin’!

16. Susan says:

Oh. My. Gawd.

If I did not know any better, I would swear that’s a photo of my husband and his step-brother. This is slightly freaky.

17. Neko-chan says:

Because we are two wild and crazy guys! (invoking Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd from SNL)

18. sweetmelody says:

I actually know exactly where that is… I live in Lancaster, County! Ha… wow that’s kinda weird…

19. David says:

The best part of this picture is I know where it was taken. It was at Abe’s Buggy Rides in Bird-In-Hand PA. One of my best friends lives next door to it. For the record it’s not run by the Amish and that is a steel molding shop across the street. It’s now run by a Spanish family who tore out the pond at the petting zoo in the back, which if you ask me was the only interesting thing they had going.

20. neverfirst says:

This is a great photograph that I can show to my teenage boys to prove there was a time when we all wore short-shorts, tube socks with stripes and Addidas sneakers and were the coolest people in the old country.

21. Rachael says:

Just like people and dinos, Tube socks and hummers did not exist at the same time!!

22. DonKeyHoTay says:

Didst thou win thy soccer match with the Amish Blackhats team?

23. mandy_Reeves says:

kudos for not snapping pics of the amish folk. They don’t like graven images, it is a sign of pridefullness.

And the kids on the golf cart….more than likely they are in the middle of Rumschpringe(the young adult running around years before deciding whether or not to join the church)

Fun Fact for ya!!! Vern Troyer(aka Mini Me) was Amish. He left in Rumschpringe.

24. todd says:

Love the Pony Four Corner sneaks on the little brother!

25. Cheryl says:

Is that horse’s mouth open? That little kid had better watch his back side!

26. karn mulva says:

Try thee to look cool, brother.

27. Adam says:

That is NOT a Hummer in the background. Take it from someone who has been in Ohio for 28yrs, and rural areas for several of those. What you’re seeing is actually a late-70s/early-80s Chevrolet Custom Deluxe or its GMC equivalent, lifted and with the once-popular headlight blackout treatment.

28. Marydisposition says:

My mom is a professional photography and this epitomizes a category of awkward family photographs that we have for years coined “Go stand by that BLANK” to be filled in by, in this case, tree. Sometimes it’s a native American in a headdress, a tractor, or sometimes it’s a 5 ft concrete manatee standing on its fins…

29. QuadMamma says:

Definitely NOT a Hummer. It’s just a square-ish old truck.

30. Lindsay says:

“who wears short shorts… we wear short short”

31. Danielle says:

Their clothes remind me of the 80s but I see a Hummer in the background.

• Shaunna says:

Looking at it, I don’t think it’s a hummer. I think it’s one of the trucks that people suped up to look like the Gravedigger. Which I will NEVER understand…

• Lynne says:

that’s what I was thinking – the shorts and socks are definitely 80′s, but the vehicle is much newer.

32. lakeview116 says:

I live in Amish country and its not like they live in some commune. They intermix with the “English” (non Amish) in business all the time. Many Amish have phones at the end of their driveway, and some have electricity to their pole barns if it is necessary for their livelihood.

This picture would be very common where I live. Complete with the awkward soccer players

33. Insanewiches says:

The younger one doesn’t even want to look straight into the camera. Too awkward.

34. Karen says:

oh no! stop stealing their souls with your cameras!

35. mebinger says:

The horse looks PO’ed.

36. JQ says:

This is the first Amish Country I’ve seen with power lines.

• David says:

The Amish can have power in their barns as long as it is billed to their business. Doesn’t matter anyway this picture was taken at a tourist attraction that isn’t run by Amish.

• PKH says:

My Mother lives on the road where this photo was taken. Sje is not Amish. There are many homes in the area not owned by the Amish.
        Lancaster County is a huge county. Many people who live there are not Amish.

37. Mary says:

I believe they are members of an Amish Soccer Team.

38. Nicole says:

The best thing about this pic is the subtle social commentary going on in the background. You will see that the photographer has juxtaposed the simple horse-drawn conveyance with a hulking beast of a machine, seen further off and slightly menacing. And yet the horse seems displeased. Is the photographer commenting on the subjugation of some for the convenience of others, while simultaneously pointing out the futility of a mechanical solution that produces so much environmental problems?

39. Dan says:

when did the Amish start driving 4×4′s??

• Spdykat says:

Read up in the other posts where people who actually live and have been to Amish country like Lancaster knows that real roads run through the area and people drive real cars on the real roads and make room for the Amish horses and buggies. sheesh. The car in the pic doesn’t belong to the Amish, it probably belongs to those 2 wild and crazy guys.

40. Sara Jane says:

Love how the horse is laughing at the awkwardness of the short shorts

41. Craig says:

They are just two guys who are having a good time…

42. RAM says:

Is that a Hummer in the background? What kind of Amish Country is this??

43. charlotte says:

it’s like the SNL digital short, extreme challenge, act casual. instead of andy sandberg winning, i think the junior tennis pro beats the kid who couldn’t commit to a sport.

44. Rebecca says:

Are we sure this is Amish Country? Note the vehicle in the driveway. I could be misinformed.

• punkasin says:

How do you think people visit Amish Country…?? walk?

• Kitten says:

For those who’ve not been to “Amish country,” it’s not as though the Amish aren’t allowed into town. If there’s an Amish horse and buggy… it is indeed Amish country. So just chillax out already, would ya?

• Kattjake says:

It’s more like a Amish community. They usually live in the country outside of towns. We have a bunch of Amish people in our town in Texas. They come to town for supplies.

• wvufan says:

There was this one time….in Amish country (Berlin OH)…..I saw 9 (count ‘em 9) Amish girls hanging off a golf cart driven recklessly by a freakishly tall Amish teenage boy. This has nothing to do with anything. I just wanted to feel included.

• meri says:

I love that you counted all 9 of ‘em!

• Bron says:

Okay two weeks ago at the zoo. The zoo had about 400 Amish people that day. It was a packed zoo day. Whilest eating our lunch we noticed that an unmanned Pepsi dispenser was just being attacked by hoards of Amish, they were just helping themselves. They were having a wonderful time. I kept waiting for some zoo attendant to come along and say something, but no one ever did. My kids were cracking up. Later in the bathroom a couple little girls about my daughters age (10) were looking at her … there she was in her Tank Top and Shorts… and they were in yards and yards of fabric with covered heads. They actually stopped and turned around to stare at her.

• Ryan says:

haha thats not true! this picture is like 5 min. from my house. I believe it is called jake’s buggy rides on rt. 340 near the town of intercourse. And yes all of that is real. Amish live in the towns and “country”. they are not quite as far out there as you think, they cheat a lot with the whole livin’ in the 1800′s bit.

• Gregorian says:

I thought the two boys were Amish. They’ve pulled over their horse and buggy on the way to soccer practice to chillax and take a few snaps.

Amish do that sort of thing, yes?

• dramaking says:

fo’ sho’!

• JoyBee says:

Amish do not like their picture taken, they feel that it steals part of your soul, so no, they would not do that. =P

• Elizabeth says:

JoyBee, no, they don’t feel that it steals part of their soul. The reason they don’t want their pictures taken is that in the “old days” the way a picture was taken was that the image was actually engraved or impressed onto the film. The Amish believe that this is a violation of God’s commandment not to “have any graven images”. That is why they usually ask you to not take pictures.

Oh, and if these boys were Amish, they would have the long pants, long-sleeved shirts (and usually suspenders) and hats that almost all Amish males wear.

• Rachel says:

wow. you are so smart.

• Stephanie says:

The “graven image” thing is what the tour guides say but the
            Amish probably decided they did not want their pictures
            taken because sitting for photographs and
            admiring photographs of oneself and others seems very
            worldy to people who wish to be humble.

I have been inside Amish houses and saw “graven images”
            such as illustrated cards and calendars.

• Mitchell says:

These fellows are standing on the lawn at Abe’s Buggy Rides on the Old Philadelphia Pike, Route 340 East, in Bird-in-Hand, PA. There is a business located across the highway from the buggy rides, which is what you see in the picture. I work 1/2 mile east of this spot. It is in the heart of Lancaster County, right in the middle of the oldest Amish settlement in the United States.

45. Ronna says:

LOL! Love the use of the word chillaxing! Perfect!

46. Amice says:

Awkward Rule #657: Never, under any circumstances, let on that you find Amish Country fun.

47. mjd says:

Is that the stagecoach from VanHelsing. What would you use to defend a ride such as this? Hmmm

48. springjack says:

The Tenenbaums visit Lancaster, PA. NOT PICTURED: Margot, who is having an existential crisis over the improper arrangement of salt crystals on her giant pretzel.

49. Tim says:

AWKWARD POSE #468: Holding up the tree.

50. laughing_hard says:

I like the color coordination. White on white, navy on navy, you can’t match better than that! The high socks and horse just top it off!

51. zkp says:

hahahahahaha that made my day.