Roots

August 21st, 2009

Roots - Graduation

It’s so great everybody could make it to graduation.

(submitted by Gina)

209 Responses to “Roots”

1. Mark says:

Dad has turned a blind eye to the males in the family.

2. ammy says:

well *somebody* has “middle child syndrome”

3. m says:

inter-generational breakfast club

4. Elizabeth says:

graduation day fell on very casual Friday.

5. Karin says:

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt – the airline lost his luggage and this is what he was wearing on the plane. I only present this option b/c that’s what happened to my cousin at my college graduation (totally not my family photo though – my cuz is a skinny guy with short hair). It was an oddly warm day (95+ after a week of low 80′s) so he actually ended up being the only one comfortable.

6. ferfer says:

This is one of my favorite pics so far on this site. About as equal as “Punks in Space” in terms of authentic awkwardness. In “THe Skivies” they all just removed their clothes. Yes, awkward, but it was forced. This is all natural Awkward, in it’s raw vulnerability. Corona Guy is either the awkward boyfriend of the moment, or little brother who is fighting his short stature with thick muscles. Look at the thickness of his neck! Makes him look like he has a pea-head! I love his mid-driff shirt, his cover-the-crotch-with-folded-hands pose and his long flowing locks. How tight must those jeans be! Dad’s severe eye wound adds so much awkwardness, as if it needed more. Grandma truly looks like a ghost and either she’s burning up in that fur coat or Corona Guy is freezing in his tiny tank. Awesome.

7. Poetikat says:

This reminds me of “Family Ties” for some reason – you know…Mallory graduating from college and Nick…making art out of trash. Wow! Does dad have a patch over his eye?

8. Dr. No says:

Dang, Dad, you just had to go and make that crack about Billy Jo’s tight pants – at least you could have waited til he was sober cause everyone knew he would pop you one. Well, at least you guys made up before graduation so you didn’t spoil it for me… and it looked like he was a little embarrassed about the pants after all. Signed, Gina

9. Steph says:

This is awkwardtacular!

10. Pinky says:

Despite the festive occasion, nobody was celebrating those jeans.

11. Deann says:

I would love to see more of this family at various life events: Graduation girl’s wedding a few years later… What did they look like younger when Corona boy made Eagle Scout or at Polo guy’s science fair? Are there group photos from Dad’s retirement or Granny’s wake? I must know!

12. Nicole says:

hahah I love the guy in the white shirt, long hair, baring his midriff

13. Not_A_Disney_Princess says:

Corona tank guy could very well be related to the bodybuilder girlfriend/fiancee in the “everything’s coming up roses” post from a few days ago…don’t you think?

14. Joanne says:

This family did not read the email from Marney advising the arrangements and attire for Kate’s graduation-this must be the Amy Misto family that never reads email!

15. Cheekybean says:

Isn’t that the same granny that was holding a dead racoon in a previous photo? Now we know what she prepared for the “special” graduation dinner!

16. Elle says:

I think I’ve seen similar pictures in my friend’s family albums. Those 80′s were fantastic for awkward photos.

17. Penny says:

Oh sweet lord in heaven, I think I slept with the long haired son in highschool…

18. buckethead_22 says:

Ace wore his formal Corona shirt for the occasion.

19. Tim says:

Hilarious. We can see more of his chest than the Corona shirt is covering. What must he have been thinking when he put that on in the morning.

20. Olson says:

The dad is really the little kid from the “A Christmas Story” movie.

“You’ll put your eye out, kid.”

Doh!

21. Brynne says:

Blue polo shirt brother is SO hiding a compound bow behind his back… you know, just in case.

22. KyGirl says:

Wow…so they Photoshopped the torso of the Corona t-shirt out of the picture?????? I didn’t know that was possible.

23. sidekick says:

Well, it was nice of Corona brother to show up, anyway. His coolness didn’t keep him away.

24. billy says:

Dad couldn’t bear the site of half of his family.

25. Al-Bob says:

Unfortunately Gina forgot to send out the invitations to her graduation, and it ended up being a “come-as-you-are” affair.

26. Betsy says:

Dad was able to make Sarah’s graduation despite his unfortunate accident the night before, when the cap Ricky was popping off a bottle of Corona hit him square in the eye. Even more fortunately, the State Minimum Security Correctional Facility made an exception and let Mom, just two months into her eight month sentence, out for the special event. Their only requirement was that she be accompanied by a plainclothes officer, who, in his crested polo, blended seamlessly into the family photos of the day.

27. Carolyn says:

This photo reminds me of what Drew Barrymore’s family looked like in ’50 First Dates’. Adam Sandler is the guy on the left. Then there’s her brother, her dad, and random other family members. This one is CLASSIC

• laurie says:

Let’s hope for the graduate’s sake the families are similar and she’ll be able to forget this awkward photo in the morning!

28. emm says:

it’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye…

29. flodnak says:

Dad came straight from eye surgery… and Little Brother came straight from spring break…. but everybody made it to Jenn’s college graduation!

30. kandee says:

Is that Brendan Fraser dressed as Corona Man? I love this photo – it looks like a “real” American family!!

31. Tim says:

Gina’s dad learned the hard way: When Grandma Marney (right) says to bring it in a regulation-sized casserole dish, she MEANS it!

32. meri says:

Excellent in every way! Way to go Gina! Love the ‘real’ family-ness of this one.

33. Don says:

It’s a graduation for crying out loud. One of those “once in a lifetime” moments. How about looking in the mirror before you leave the house and asking the question “Do I really need to wear a t-shirt with this polo shirt?” Sheesh

34. Alan says:

Although 30 years had passed since Rupert took the cork off of his fork, he was still reminded of that fateful mistake every time he saw himself in a photo.

35. wendolyn says:

nothing says “I love my sister” like a corona half shirt

36. Kathy says:

This is an awkward’s awkward, the epitome of sublime awkwardness. As mentioned, something you’d actually see in someone’s album, reveling in its awkwardness with unconflicted majesty.

The LOL cats, while cringe-inducing, are blatant and obvious, mere fodder compared to this perfection. A 10.

37. Paula says:

I suspect the guy is her boyfriend, her family hates him, but she insisted they let him come to the graduation. Under the condition he won’t wear any neon spandex or tease his hair.
    Her brother, in the blue polo shirt, would never put his arm around the guy. Never.

38. Denise says:

I love so much about this photo but mostly how the parents are hanging on to the graduate like she’s the family’s last hope.

39. zach says:

WIN!

Corona guy exudes awkwardness…

40. Joan Slawson says:

Corona Man is just trying to flex. Not working out too well though. A family for all seasons. Tank to Stylish Coat.

41. raeben says:

this might be one of my favorite AFP’s. i mean, the skivvies and lol cats are pretty spectacular but this is the kind of photo that you might actually see in your awkward friend’s photo album. it’s great because it’s got everybody in it – grams the ghost, vertical stripes, the graduate, cap’n dad, muscle-head from the hair band, and the “normal” brother (but you know he’s just internalizing the awkwardness).

42. Lefty says:

That Corona tshirt met its death washing a car and his hair has long clogged up a shower drain somewhere.

43. OHIOtoARIZONA says:

That hair with the Corona Extra cut up tummy shirt on that guy makes my day.

44. binkymae says:

I love the brother in the Carona shirt showing his respect for the occasion with the typical groomsman pose.

45. Laura says:

They all seem so proud…except the one with the muscles. Is he bitter he didn’t graduate? Did he punch the guy next to him in the eye? So simple it could be staged!

46. Wombatgirl says:

and; who socked Dad? I bet it was the goon squad next to him.

47. Cee says:

I really like this family. Everyone is so different, and yet they’re all smiling away for the photo. No faces, no pouting.. My guess is that this family has some rousing family dinners! Perhaps that’s how dad ended up with the patch on the eye?

• Karen27 says:

pretty much my thoughts exactly! I love when there are huge differences in appearance ( pretty much a given that there are huge differences in personality) and everyone seems truly happy to be together!

• El Kev says:

It was a Festivus Celebration.

48. HF_Buick says:

Joe was always the rebel, but even for this picture, he knew his limits and chose to cover up, i mean for brying out loud, Grandma was in this picture!

49. Chadillac says:

I’m here to pump you up!

50. Angi says:

Oh my! I don’t know where to begin.

• Nettie says:

they are the family that rebelled against Marnie…. and now they have a reason to smile…. even Dad, who covered for the rest of the family!