The Cabbage Patch Diaries

August 23rd, 2009

The Cabbage Patch Diaries - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

We still can’t believe he cheated on her.

(submitted by Verda)

341 Responses to “The Cabbage Patch Diaries”

1. Merfwriter says:

I got my cabbage patch kid doll for my third birthday when i turned 3 years old back in 1985.

2. dt says:

I remember the trading cards called, “Garbage Pail Kids”

3. Monica says:

This is the funniest photo I have ever seen in my life (especially the one w/ the faded cabbage patch head-with pacifire no less!)

4. anna says:

looks like a horror movie ;)

5. shi says:

I had that SAME checkered shirt :)

6. Laura says:

Imagine how much creepier this photo would’ve been with a My Little Pony instead.

7. SEG says:

She looks a little old to have brought her doll to the photo shoot.

8. guitargrrrl76 says:

Does anyone remember the cabbage patch koosas. They were like cabbage patch kid animals. My mom got me one of those because they were cheaper and she didn’t love me enough to fight with other mothers to get a cabbage patch kid. hahaha.

9. Red says:

I HAD THIS DOLL! its name is Joel! lol
    I still have this doll actually and he still has all his clothes, the only difference is he is blonde with short curly blondish hair…
    lol but yeah this screams potential CHUCKY

10. Jillian says:

This pic is AWESOME. Between my brother and I we had 18 of them! I never wanted anything else as a gift!

They still sell them, there just aren’t as many. My mom bought me one when my husband and I decided to have a baby.

11. Bree says:

Back when kids were kids longer instead of being in a rush to grow up.

12. Rich says:

What’s really weird is that both of my aunt’s (who were in their mid-teens around the time Cabbage Patch Dolls came about) had photo’s of them taking with their dolls as well. I’m sure if I did some digging around at my moms, I’d be able to find the polaroids of them.

13. tbeoe says:

Chucky’s great uncle.

14. davew says:

I dated some girl who’s little sister (brat) had about 20 of these. They were from all different countries, or just marketed as such. I think her parents dropped about $2500 on these things in 2 years.

15. Nina-Nina says:

Uhm has anyone else noticed how old she is? She’s hit puberty and still has a CPK like seriously…they were cool when you were about 10 and under not like 13 c’mon …i must say i do like her shirt though lol

• Greg says:

You have to realize that Cabbage Patch Kids probably JUST came out when this was taken, so she couldn’t have had one at any other age. They weren’t around when she was 10 probably. They came out when my sister was 12 and she got one at 13 because EVERYBODY was getting them that year no matter how old you were. I remember all the high school kids had them too. Her Junior high yearbook is filled with all these pics of girls carrying CPK’s around…and our Junior high was 7th to 9th grade!!

• Emily Born 1999 says:

Look it dosent matter how old you are.I’m 11 and i havent hit puberty and my mom evan likes them she never had one but at least she thinks there friend make fun of my because my room has one millon dolls in it but do i care…NO!

16. Allison says:

Oh, and by the way, my laptop decided to play a mean joke on me…my name is NOT Allison shot!!! It’s actually just Allison. Or maybe it was vengence for making fun of the doll head of doom?

17. Oh man…this photo just absolutely cracks me up, especially the floating doll head shot of doom!!!!! I had one of these photos in 1988 with my brother, when we were six, and I was the “floating head” lol. My cousins had similar ones at a young age as well…thankfully all of my photos with Cabbage Patch Dolls were taken at home…no public shame there!

18. elpintogrande says:

I think the most astonishing about this picture is that they sell shirts like that at Urban Outfitters for $45 now.

19. LK says:

Am I really the only person that thinks this girl is much too old for pictures with a CPK doll? I had one but there is no way i would have posed in a picture with it past the age of 6.

• Greg says:

I KIND of thought that too…But my sister was OBSESSED with getting a Cabbage Patch Doll and she finally got one Christmas 1984 when she was 13. I’m guessing this girl is about 13 and My sister at that age TOTALLY would have posed for a pic like this with her CPK!

• Emily Born 1999 says:

I don’t think so i’m 11 and i love them sooooo much. I’m evan going to buy one that cost 70 bucks there adorable dolls and when i grow up i want to collect dolls and be a doll specialist don’t make fun of me lol.

20. Maddie says:

The caption completely makes the photo.

21. elixer says:

JC Penny offered complimentary photos on the day you adopted your CP doll. I was so jealous of my younger sister who got Yvonne Ester for her birthday and a set of photos taken similar to these.

22. Flert says:

*BLUSH* I totally have a set of picutres just like this around that age…and my mom had one made into a key chain that she still carries around some 25 years later. However my CP doll is in his chair at my mom’s house…forever in shrine to my childhood I guess! :)

23. Kayla says:

I have like 10 CPK dolls!

24. Leslie says:

Ha! I don’t see anything strange about this picture. But I was a very serious cabbage patch mommy. My grandma even threw my Sarah doll a birthday party and all of my uncles bought her presents. It was so awesome!
    and 20 some years later she is still on my bed and my girls don’t get to play with her. (I know I am awful); :o)

25. Brenda says:

26. Rita says:

Cabbage Patch Kid watches you while you sleep…

27. Danners says:

Now think about this… Her mother or grandmother probably still has that picture on a wall somewhere in their house.

28. Malinda says:

I had and still have the same cabbage patch kid, hmm weirdest thing i did with him was make him Barbies boyfriend.. What in the world was her mother thinking!?!

29. My younger sister still has nearly a dozen cabbage patch kids. I wonder if they are worth anything these days?

• Malinda says:

Depends on the doll, they sell on ebay starting at around $10.00 up to $1000.00, theres one on there now for $800.00 and its from 1985… sad to think toys i played with in the 80′s are now antiques!

• Emily Born 1999 says:

If your sister played with it alot then i dont think much but if she took good care of it then you can get a big hunk of cash lol

30. Marilee says:

We almost had a house fire and my 3 kids would never have forgiven me if I hadn’t rescued their cabbage patch dolls and the Pound Puppy!

31. April C says:

You know, those darn dolls were unsettling to me when they came out, and I am about the same age as this chick…the perspective of time just makes them even more disturbing, if that is possible.

Without a doubt, that upper-right pic of the shadowy doll head will HAUNT ME TIL THE DAY I DIE.

Thanks forever, Verda.

32. Ariel says:

I wonder what it is that they put in CPK’s that makes them so lovable? I was a child of the 90′s (born in ’87) but I adored my cabbage patch doll Gilda that was passed down to me by my big sister. We even have some pictures of my sister, when she was 4, and Gilda in matching witches outfits for Halloween! Haha. :D But I guess once I was born she had a real baby to pose with!

33. Lollipop says:

poor girl

34. amber says:

oh mannn, i laughed so hard.

35. Emily says:

Oh man, I totally had my picture taken with my CPK when I was that age.

36. Alex says:

My favorite is the one with the cabbage patch head eerily suspended in the dark void of space… so 80′s!

37. Andrea says:

senior picture anyone??

are you that brave to bring one to school for school pictures?

38. Jason Velazquez says:

Creepiest thing ever

39. born 1970 says:

ok this is not even an authentic Cabbage patch… the authintic ones did ot have plastic faces…. and Xaiver personally autograhed their butts…. wow I am old!

• SunnyD says:

u are right about the butts being signed, but the authentic ones did have plastic heads and the rest of the body was cloth and the hair was yarn, unless it was a cornsilk kid and then the hair was like barbie hair that u could comb. i know cause i had five of them and i probably woulda taken a pic like this if i had thought of this first and it was still 1985. :)

• hsp says:

Actually, the first set of dolls were called “Adoption Dolls.” They were all fabric (including the head) and about two feet tall. They had yarn hair, painted eyes and their butts were stamped/signed by Xavier Roberts. I got “Tina Merle” (she came with the name and a set of papers that I had to sign, as her new adoptive parent) as an Easter present in the early 80′s. These dolls were rather expensive. A few years later, the more budget friendly “Cabbage Patch Dolls” were created. They had plastic faces, fabric bodies and were much smaller than the “Adopition Dolls.” The “Cabbage Patch Dolls” also had the stamp/signature of X.R on the butt. The “Adoption Doll” series is still around, I believe, because there is a doll hospital in Georgia at Xavier Roberts headquarters. I’m not completely sure if they continue to make the doll or if they just repair/retouch existing dolls. As to the above picture: now, you know, every good doll parent has a picture of them and their “Adoption/Cabbage Patch” doll… I don’t, however, believe they carry it around and show it to co-workers! lol! Got to love some 80′s!

• 80s Kid says:

HA! HA! born 1970 had a fake Cabbage Patch Kid that their mom said was real!
          J/K! My aunt made me a fake one, and i liked it better… CPK had a weird smell!

• karen says:

I think that one in the pic is a “preemie” from the early-mid-80s. They were still authentic/limited edition and signed on the butt. But they were smaller than the original cabbage patch dolls. I actually still have one around here somewhere…

• ams says:

I do not believe this was a preemie. The preemies had bean-bag style bodies and no hair because they were supposed to resemble just-born babies and not toddlers. I had two preemies; they were my favorites.

• luvem says:

They were actually called “Little people” and yes they were later mass produced by Coleco which made them with smaller, plastic heads and renamed them Cabbage Patch Kids. This is still an authentic original cabbage patch kid. I have just over 50 in my collection.

• Emily Born 1999 says:

She is right.Authentic ones did have hard heads,However some authentic ones did have soft heads and bodys.Evan though i’m 11 years old I do know my dolls.I have 5 Cassady Ann,Coraline Joan,Arnold Sid.,Clara Cathren,and Haliegh Damarus.if you would like to lean more about cpk just go to there offical website.

• val says:

who cares, The picture is stil totally freaky!!!!