Hairspray

August 28th, 2009

Hairspray - Grandparents

You should see it when grandma wears her hair up.

(submitted by Maria)

267 Responses to “Hairspray”

1. mandy_Reeves says:

ohhh I LOVE Mamaw’s little I heart american flag pin….all done in swarovski crystals.

2. Jessica says:

There is a chance that’s a “wiglet” us southern women LOVE fake hair :) love love love it

3. TFat says:

DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS IS FLO FROM ALICE? THE 70′S SITCOM – SAME HAIR STYLE, SAME FACE – KISS MY GRITS!

4. Bambi says:

Well at least now we know what happened to Flo from Alice – Kiss my grits!

5. modcenturygal says:

THE HIGHER THE HAIR…THE CLOSER TO GOD!

6. Lauren says:

this is clearly NOT photoshopped…. on another note.. cotton candy anyone???

7. Jillyb85 says:

God Lord she looks like a chorus member from Hairspray!

8. Maya B. says:

“Hony, pump me up with a little more helium, woud you? My hair is going flat again.”

9. Aaron says:

Grandma is a cotton swab

10. binkymae says:

Oh, Maria we have so enjoyed your picture!
    As we all know the one way that older women in the South acknowledge a special occasion is with a slight increase in the size of their hair. It just occurred to me that this could have been taken at an outdoor wedding. You look lovely, and your Grandma is fabulous!

11. grimey says:

I find it amazing that people think they know where you live by your hairdo…LOL…get a life!

12. Janis says:

I am from Atlanta and a lot of southern mamalls wear their hair like this. I agree, maybe not this big but very similar to this. They get their hair done once a week, and they do sleep on silk pillowcases. Some do have wigs done up as well as their own hair.

13. piper says:

she just does that to look taller

14. harper says:

♫ ….its the little old lady from pasadena ♫ [go granny go granny go granny go!] ♫

15. Ken says:

I think you can tell from just the picture that these are just very sweet people. And I think they probably are from Texas. Is the picture awkward? Well, yes… but that doesn’t mean they can’t be nice people.

16. RT says:

Delicious punk grandma

17. Leah says:

Ahahaha that is an epic hairdo!

Oh my god, I love scrolling down your site, it just gets funnier and funnier!

18. Steve says:

This is what happens when you bob for cotton candy!

19. Cat says:

Does no one remember former Texas governor Ann Richards? That hair is real!

20. Rebecca says:

They have to be from Texas… this is clearly “Texas Big Hair”! I love it!

21. Geoff says:

Q-tip! Too funny

22. Sthrn_Gal says:

As a born and bred Southerner used to seeing the sassy older women sporting this “do” every so often, I have to disagree with those who so fervently think that this pic is photoshopped. That’s her hair whether she puts it on every morning with a little spirit gum or grows it herself.

23. devans00 says:

Cotton candy hair! Looks yummy.

24. exploder says:

Boy howdy, they sure do build ‘em purty down there in Texas, I’ll tell you what.Yoke ‘em!

25. John says:

“Stand By Your Man”!

26. Vikki says:

I am so sick of everyone here squawking ‘PHOTOSHOPPED’ all the time.

• Andrea says:

I know!! Seriously people, why would anyone go through the trouble of photoshopping when there are multitudes of crazy pics out there to choose from?? Honestly, it’s the same people who say that stories are made up…FFS!!

27. lagrange says:

obviously a B-52′s fan

28. Badboyloki says:

The bigger the hair… the closer to god.

29. Heather says:

This picture has given me a flashback of a friend’s grandmother who had hair like this, and who looked down on me as some sort of unmannered harlot because I was wearing white after Labor Day.

30. Earl says:

OK, it’s time for the folks at Awkward Family Photos to have a section where we can vote on whether the photo is photoshoped or not. This photo of cool grandma is, from my uneducated frame if reference, definetly photoshoped. Her hair is not aligned to her head. Just my humble opinion.

• binkymae says:

Let’s not forget the possibility that grandma might have switched to a wig when her hair thinned a bit. This could account for the aforementioned alignment issue also.

• akprincess72 says:

You don’t have a southern Nana do you? NOT photoshopped.

• Jessica says:

that’s because its a wiglet, they’re top wigs that clip in or can be sewn into your remaining hair (they do a braid with the remaining hair to thread the wiglet into)

31. Lola LB says:

Grandma isn’t from Baltimore, is she?

• Laylah says:

EXACTLY what I was wondering! This woman made me think of Dundalk and Highlandtown… and she’s absolutely rockin it.

If it worked in 1960, it’s nothing but (aqua)net today!

32. C-Biscuit says:

If you can’t make it good, make it big.

33. rory says:

cant be real!!!!!!

34. Claude says:

AND she has a flag pin!?

God, I love this woman.

35. Guest says:

This reminds me of how I spent my teenage years fighting with my mother over my hair. My hair is stick-straight, thin, and fine. The first things she’d say to me every morning was, “Couldn’t you just fluff it up a little?”

She still uses a curling iron on her whole head daily. *sigh*

36. Veggiet says:

I do gimp. I do agree the curls are similar, but they are not repeats of the same curl. Not ‘shopped. On a side I think they took this as a ‘before-and-after’ shot

37. DonKeyHoTay says:

If you see a painted sign by the side of the road, it says, “15 miles to the AWKWARD SHACK!”

38. Spot says:

“My work tends to be a little poofy when I’m nervous” Annelle Steel Magnolias

39. girliegirl says:

what is she hiding in that hair?! That is so GREAT!!!!

40. Etraking says:

I’m always irritated by people that cry photoshop here everytime… but even I have to admit that this looks more like an MS Paint job.

41. Baron's Life says:

That Grand ma looks gorgeous in my books…the resemblance with her grand daughter is striking..great shot

42. Felicia says:

The higher the hair, the higher to God!

43. Howudoing says:

I am originally from the south and proficient in Photoshop. This is definitely a doctored image. Check out the repeated curls in the center at the top.

• Joey says:

Except my mother has the exact same “doctored” repeated curls on top of her head. Tomorrow’s Saturday. I think I’m going to go tell her hairstylist all the AFP “experts” say she’s -shopping my mother’s head.
      *eyeroll*

• summer says:

This southern gal votes not “doctored”. My grannie also had the satin pillowcase, hairnet, and a roll of tp just for hair cementing. Regardless, these ladies are both happy and beautiful, have to appreciate style and attention to detail.

• NuttyMom says:

I am not from the South but my Gramma used to like to wear her hair quite poufy. When I would roll it for her it would have the same effect because of the way she wanted the curlers in. I could do it to you too if you like? :) I became quite good at it.

I think Gramma is lovely and it’s amazing how she has taken so much attention away from her granddaughter. Her granddaughter looks a lot like her. Very pretty ladies. They are lovely.

I wish people received an electric shock everytime they write photoshopped (and crossbow) on this site.

44. Eric says:

Oh, ya’ll! Don’t ya know? The higher the hair the closer to God!

45. LindsayLu says:

what a cute little cotton top! I’d take her as my Granny any day!

46. Don says:

Work with me here. Picture a wisp of hair that flows to the side of Grandma’s mouth and you have the perfect speech or thought bubble for all the photoshop gurus.

47. bethksp says:

Aside from the hideously high hair, this picture is cute:) They have the same exact smile and the are both very pretty.

48. Tim says:

Obviously a photoshop job.

• kelcut says:

You’re obviously not from the South, Tim. Unfortunately, this can be common, depending on the area & the church you’re in. ;-)

• doggiekittymama says:

I would not want to be seated directly behind her.

• Maureen says:

Really? Your hairstyle depends on what church your in?

• binkymae says:

As a Southerner and even a Texan, I will shed some light on the church hairdo topic. There is a church that teaches that women should not cut their hair. And those women pile it up on top their head when they are too old to wear it down, which makes for a lot of hair above the eyebrow. But this woman clearly has layers, almost bangs in fact, and is very stylish. It was her look when she was young and hot and she is staying with it! One other tidbit – she either sleeps on a silk pillow, or with toilet paper wrapped around the beehive to preserve “the do” until next Saturday at the beauty shop.

• hcw80 says:

Yup! Sunday hair, Hair Teased To Jesus. Don’t even think about being the hairdresser to suggest that she change her look. She is still a beautiful woman and quite fashionable in her dress. Love the big earings and the faux leopard top.

BTW, don’t mess with this woman. Never a bad word will pass her lips, but she can cut you dead with a comment like “Well, she seemed perfectly nice until her Northern ways came out and she started to staring at my hair like it was going to catch on fire. But bless her heart, she couldn’t help it being she was from New Jesery and sometimes you can’t rise above your raising.”

• Lori says:

You got it binkymae…..I know a woman in my mom’s church who, for as long as I’ve known her, has had a silk pillow case and special cap for her `do and has it re-done every Friday. Not close to this but….very similar.

• Terri says:

DON”T MESS WITH TEXAS!! or you could go with Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!

• Andy says:

Definitely says “Church of God”

• emm says:

thats true! you know what they say: the higher the hair, the closer to god!

• Melania says:

And badly ‘shopped at that.

Yes, I know southerners may have ‘big hair’ but this is a bad cut and paste.

• wombat says:

agreed-shopped!

• glasstabletop says:

I don’t think it is shopped and I am not sure why others think so. It looks pretty genuine to me.

• jim says:

No. I just have to disagree. This is standard elder-hair in Hot Springs Arkansas and in stylish/conservative areas of Fayetteville and LIttle Rock AR. My grandmother wore that do, except maybe a _little_ less poofed, until her brittle bones couldn’t support it. Kudos to the lady for not blue-rinsing.

BTW, does anyone else thinks that these are a set of twins with one having been placed in suspended animation?

• Natalie says:

Jim I totally agree! they have the same teeth, nose. And I don’t get why people think its shopped. I mean look at the jewelry choices and print of Mamaw’s jacket. She is obviously from the school of the more the better.

• Dan says:

I agree it’s photo-shopped. Look around the edges of her hair by the forehead. Photo-shopped. Definitely.

• charmy says:

You obviously know nothing about photoshop and how it works… I cam honestly tell you that her hair is not photoshopped to look big… Now around the edges it may be shopped but if you notice the grad daughter her hair is also pretty friz free. That is one of the things photoshop does…Maybe you people ought to take 2+ years of courses in photoshop then you might know what the term actually means…:roll eyes:

• s says:

The Higher the Hair the Closer to God.

• mel says:

Did anyone count how many times “The Higher the Hair the Closer to God” was submitted??? Definately a southern mawmaw…and she wouldn’t dare go out without her face and hair done on any given day!

• Lacie says:

More like Frotoshopped!!!!

• Debra says:

Most definitely NOT a modified image. This could come right off a page of Southern Living Magazine.

49. lisa says:

that gramma’s not awkward, that gramma’s fabulous!

50. Jim says:

Thanks for getting rid of that pesky Ozone Layer for us, Mamaw!!!