Rocky Mountain High

November 2nd, 2009

Rocky Mountain High - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

(submitted by Allison)

270 Responses to “Rocky Mountain High”

1. Boppie says:

I wish my mom had been outdoorsy like this.

2. Liz says:

If only people knew it would take at least 20 minutes before any of the alcohol reached the breast milk. The kid will surely be as sober as a nun.

3. Sarah says:

Meh. I don’t see the big deal. They’re both dressed properly for the weather. The amount of alcohol from one beer that would make it into the milk is very very small. Now, if she were passed out in the snow with beer cans all around…that would be a different story.

4. karen says:

hey, they say alcohol keeps you warm in the cold. and since you can give beer to a baby, it would be against the law, you have to get it to the baby somehow . . . babies need warmth too :-)

5. Melissa says:

This is why some people need a license to have kids. She’s drinking a beer while breastfeeding her baby in the freezing cold.

• Tippy says:

Babies need to eat when it’s cold out too. I commend this mom for going out and enjoying nature with her child. I bet this baby doesn’t grow up to be a fat video game addict! Nursing a baby isn’t only for saints, a beer is fine.

• belx says:

Ok… So the Inuits don’t breast feed because it’s cold?

I see nothing wrong with this pic, don’t even find it particularly awkward. She’s doing what is natural for a mother – providing for her baby when it needs her.

As for the beer – it’s not illegal! I may have had a drink every now and agin when my kids were that age – and it sure didn;t do them any harm!

Some people need to grow up…

6. Oscar says:

That is one cool mother! Love her!

And for all you people busy disapproving of this woman’s drinking a beer while nursing, consider for a moment how little alcohol would actually make it from her stomach to her breast during the time it takes for her to nurse her baby. A negligible amount, which is why some doctors feel comfortable recommending a glass of beer to promote let-down.

7. MLB says:

There may be a photo or two of me nursing a baby with a drink in my hand!
    There’s not an expert in human lactation in the world who says NO alcohol while nursing.
    Also, the commentors who mentioned the baby being out in the cold…what are you supposed to do with babies in the winter? Keep them indoors until spring? That baby looks warmly dressed and is getting a belly full of warm milk – what could be better?

8. Jenny says:

Wanna bet she’s got a cigarette burning in an ashtray off to the side?

9. daniel says:

Do you see that can? I don’t think they’ve made it since 1979. She probably had a pack of marlboros each day she was pregnant.

10. Sarah says:

it takes 15 minutes before the alcohol hits your breast milk. as long as she just cracked that cold one and the baby is almost done… she is in the clear. You go girl!!!

11. Nicole says:

@ Amy: “eeewww is her shirt up? is she breast feeding????”……what are you, 12?

12. D'OH says:

WHATTA MOM!! She gets MY vote!

13. Bill says:

I loved the 70′s!!

14. madpariah says:

and she’s almost holding the baby.

15. agent says:

The original I AM CANADIAN ad.

16. Jose says:

17. dizzymama says:

It’s actually quite fine for a nursing mother to have a beer or two on occasion. Alcohol metabolizes in milk at the same rate it metabolizes in the blood; therefor, a mother with a B.A.C. of .04 has breastmilk with an alcoholic content of .04%.

And babies get hungry outdoors in winter, too – why *wouldn’t* she nurse the baby there?

18. Carol says:

Wow, that is very sad actually. Not awkward. More like inappropriate and not at all funny.

19. spamelita says:

I can’t believe people still think that drinking A BEER while nursing your kid is so atrocious. Heavens, it takes a lot more than one or two beers to even affect your breastmilk. No wonder people never nurse anymore. If you’re gonna judge, make sure you know the facts first. Cripes.

• Christi says:

AND…This picture is obviously old. I would guess at least early 80′s. I was born in the mid 70′s and a whole lot of things were “ok” back then that are taboo now. For example, my mom has said that her OB/gyn recommened that she drink wine everyday (mom didn’t because she isn’t a fan of wine, but still). And most of my friends were born to mothers who chain smoked. We’re all alive and, gasp, made it into our 30′s!

20. mlt says:

I won’t deny it’s a hilarious photo, but beer is actually beneficial to milk production in women. Just sayin’.
    Oh and Amy, breast feeding is what breasts are for!

21. Matt Jeezee says:

My impression of every comment:

Hey, that lady is breastfeeding! OMG! And in the snow no less! With beer!

22. Anon O Mus says:

Mom said in awe when reporting about the hike, “The baby was so good and just so calm through the whole adventure!”

23. Ashlings says:

Who misses the 70′s?!

24. ErisTheFairest5 says:

Maybe she should give the kid a swig of beer – he’ll sleep good tonite!

25. BTom says:

This reminds me of home. I miss Wisconsin.

26. AF says:

She’s a spokesperson for the La Leche League LOL.

(In her defense it’s a fact that drinking 6-8oz. beer a day increases breastmilk supply.)

• Dory Dirtbag says:

That’s actually true. The ETOH helps with let down.

• Rae of Sunshine says:

Thank you for pointing out that a small amount of beer help increase breast milk supply! All these people aghast at the beer in her hand have obviously never had to breast feed! I’m sure the cold was making things a little difficult (a cold compress will DECREASE your milk supply!) and the LIGHT beer she’s drinking is helping things along! No one would say anything if she was eating beans or brocoli, although both those cause MAJOR stomach trouble in most little babies! Some people need to pick up a book or two before opening their mouths (or using their fingers!) !!!

• Williams Clan says:

I actually HAVE nursed two babies…and I have NEVER had a doctor tell me it was okay to drink alcohol, even in tiny amounts. That’s not to say YOURS didn’t say that to you, it’s just my doctor never gave me that okay…nor would I have done it anyways, just personal preference. I don’t think anyone means to point fingers or cause a’s just slightly shocking in our current day and age to see someone drinking WHILE nursing…it’s the combo together in the picture that a bit shocking. That said, I never had a problem with supply while nursing…never drank a beer either…so I guess you can nurse without the beer as well…..

• Anne says:

I am glad you said it! My pediatrician “prescribed” beer for me when I needed to up my milk production! And while I never did it during a ski excursion, I wish I had. LOL

27. Fryguy says:

Judging from the pop tops on the can and the stylin’ shades, this pic was taken in 70s when it was socially acceptable to enjoy a cold one while nursing.

• Jennifer says:

I’m guessing more recent- the quality of film is better than that of the 70′s. Pictures taken in the 70′s are more grainy. But who knows.

28. Jill says:

What’s wrong with breastfeeding a baby? In the snow? Babies do tend to still get hungry in the winter ya know….

As for the beer, it is completely safe in moderation. A miniscule amount of alcohol reaches the baby as it is filtered through the mother’s body. As long as the mother is not drunk, the baby is completely fine.

I don’t see how this photo is at all awkward. What’s awkward about a baby eating?

29. Cee says:

I’m wondering if that’s a real baby? Perhaps the photo is in humour?

If she is nursing, if baby finishes quickly and mama takes her time drinking, the baby won’t get any beer. And there are definitely worse things to be injesting while nursing than one beer.

30. gabeaux says:

No wonder the kid burped all the time.

31. Keri says:

It’s 5′O’clock somewhere and they’re serving up Milk on tap, Coors in a can.

32. Jill says:

Now that’s klassy. ;)

There’s nothing “eewww” about breastfeeding (sans beer) though, Amy and anyone else who is sure to follow. That’s what boobs are for!

33. V says:

This is so something my mother would have been doing in the 80′s.

34. TJP says:

Not only am I curious about this picture, baby+Coors+nursing, but who was willing to take this picture? Like, what album would this be displayed in, the baby book or the vacation album?

• Small Town Gal says:

Can you see any skin? C’mon! Baby was hungry. And having an occasional beer is actually good for your milk production. Plus it helps the let-down reflex. Lighten up people!

35. nicswife says:

hey. keeps the baby warm! ….

36. Rebelle says:

That’ll make sure Jr. sleeps tonight!

37. EDUB says:

“You think you’re an efficient multi-tasker? Let me tell you what I did this weekend!”

38. agentscully says:

who are you people, the mom police? It is not evil to drink a beer while breastfeeding.

• Katilda says:

Yeah!!! All the “cool” parents get their kids drunk…

• mom police says:

Are you kidding?? Everything you consume gets passed along to your baby. Including alcohol. I had to stop nursing my middle daughter when she was two weeks old because she had a whole lot of food allergies I didn’t and that was making her sick.

• mcpoop_disturber says:

Well it’s a good thing you didn’t change your diet so you could continue nursing her. I personally think this is a great photo. As a mom who nursed her 6 kids and the odd time I also had a beer, it’s a good thing my kids only turned out a little loopy ; )….. (Actually my kids test academically at least 2 grades above where they are.) I think the comments are way funnier than the picture….

• Melissa says:

Depending on the food allergies, stopping nursing may have been the right decision-a nursing mom can only change her diet so much to accomodate the breastmilk when it becomes a nurtitional issue. Maybe she was allergic to very common things that are found in a lot of food, so that only left eating a limited variety of foods that would not give the breastmilk enough nutrition for the baby

39. Williams Clan says:

um, last I checked…alcohol wasn’t something a nursing mother should partake off…but considering you are out in the cold, in the snow…I guess that changes everything.. Cheers Mom of the year!!!

• Gail says:

Actually, while I was nursing, my doctor told me I should drink beer to help increase my milk supply! I never tried it, because I can’t stand the taste of beer, but it isn’t discouraged while breastfeeding like it is while you are pregnant.

• Melissa says:

In totally agree! That is waht makes this photo awkward….all these people think it’s hilarious, meanwhile the beer she is drinking will be making it’s way to her breastmilk for the next feeding! Last I checked, alcohol was not on an infant top list of vital needs

40. Jeff B. says:

Finally the inspiration for John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High…..” is revealed.

41. Jodie says:

Even the baby will be feeling the “Rocky Mountan High” in a few minutes…and will sleep like a LOG! LOL

42. Voodoo Chile says:

Ah, there’s nothing like sitting in the snow with a cold beer in one hand while I breastfeed a baby. Life is good.

43. JB says:

She’s nursing, in the cold of winter, while drinking a beer. Lovely.

44. cmama says:

I’m pretty sure she is breastfeeding too. That’s a riot!

45. Tam says:

While nursing?! Sweeeeeet.

46. sKate says:

Is she breastfeeding that baby while drinking a beer?? Good grief.

47. Bonnie says:

Drinking a beer, in the snow, as you nurse your baby.

48. amy says:

eeewww is her shirt up? is she breast feeding????

• thebonmama says:

eeewww? Seriously? I can’t believe you find that gross.

Yes, her shirt is up, yes she’s breast feeding.

I think it’s a hysterical photo, and as a nursing mother who’s had to feed her baby in some seriously awkward places, I can totally relate! (Even to the desire for a cold one myself!)

• Morag says:

Yes. You know it’s normal, don’t you?

• Jennifer says:

Oh. my gosh!

Of course its normal and natural blah blah blah!

Its the fact that
      A. She’s in the snow
      B. She’s drinking beer
      and C. Sex it natural too but that doesn’t mean I want to see pics of other people doing it!!!

• Emily says:

Amen to C.

• len says:

The baby is eating. Eating is commonly accepted as something that is considered natural that is ok to do in public. There are lots of pics of people eating out there. Granted there are plenty of pics of people eating that I don’t want to see either, but this one is a lot more discreet than the latest idiot trying to consume a burger the size of his or her head. As for the drinking it would have been perfectly acceptable if it had been a Yuengling or a Guinness, but Coors? Yikes, now that’s awkward.

• Sammy says:

Funny, so many people are in such a rush to be PC – “hey, look at me, I’m tolerant and accepting of others” – that they miss the point of what truly makes it awkward.

49. Beth says:

She’s nursing the baby too. It’s coors by proxy!

50. Linda says:

Seriously?! Nursing, out in the cold? With a beer? There’s a candidate for Mother of the year, no doubt.