Garbage Pail Kid

November 4th, 2009

Garbage Pail Kid - Kids

Well, what else is she supposed to lean on?

(submitted by Kimberly)

125 Responses to “Garbage Pail Kid”

1. Prof D says:

My daughter’s dance recital photos always look a lot like this, make-up wise, because they always take them on the day of the dress rehearsal, so they are in full makeup. I hate it. I always swear that I’m going to stop by the bathroom first and scrub her sweet little face off, but there’s never time. Our dance instructor also requires that bangs be slicked straight back, too, which adds to the complete weirdness of the pictures. But I will say there was never a trash can involved, thank goodness! I think her costume is pretty cute, actually.

2. Joanne says:

it least it is a brand new garbage can! That dance outfit looks like a kids clown outfit!

3. Heather says:

I have a picture just like this from dance class. Except I was IN the garbage can.

4. grimey says:

…it’s so sad to see a perfectly good little girl thrown away like that :)

5. Cameron says:

Does anyone remember the 80′s singer, Kate Bush?
    I feel like her childhood photos must have been something like this.

“Heathcliff, it’s me, your Kathy…”

6. Trish says:

It looks like the trashcan has some kind of crud on it…or maybe I just need to clean my computer screen.

7. Sara says:

Wow that’s an impressive level of commitment to the armshelf!

Love the Nora Batty tights..!!

8. Freak Speely says:

Oscar the Grouch opted out of this photoshoot at the last minute.

9. Dane says:

“OK, I’ll smile, but I don’t want to do the Can-Can!”

10. AC says:

“I think this is for a dance recital.” “Maybe she is in the theater.” “Is she a tap dancer?”

Seriously folks, what gave you those ideas? The dance costume? The tights? The stage makeup? The TAP SHOES?

• Jak says:

Gosh AC, maybe most of us are blissfully unaware of what tap shoes look like unless we can see the sole [making kid's shoes louder: whose bright idea was that?]

11. Rebelle says:

I’m waiting for the next picture when 30 clowns jump out of the trash can! Bring in the clowns!

12. buddybear says:

The garbage can is killing me, but she’s just as cute as she can be. She is wearing a lot of makeup for a little girl, but that actually looks pretty tame for a dance recital (I hope this is for a dance recital, anyway). I remember being that age, and having the school require we wear taupe eyeshadow, black eyeliner, and red lipstick. We all looked ridiculous, but it showed up really well onstage.

13. Sarah says:

awww, poor thing. I have many many pictures like that growing up. Ridiculous tap costume, awkward pose and way too much make up for a little girl. Ah, those were the days.

14. nixpayn says:

Sorry, i just recovered from the seizure induced by that outfit, which resulted in me spilling my beer :(

15. Alabamadancingfool says:

This actually looks like a dance recital picture. I’m sure the trash cans have something to do with the dance she is in. Also she is wearing Tap shoes. Its def a classic cheesy dance picture. That would also account for the extremem make up. Since they probably dance on a stage with very bright lights. If they didn’t wear make up then the bright lights would wash out thier face and facial expressions.

16. laurie says:

You’ve heard of Toddlers in Tiaras, now there’s Little Girls and Trash Cans! Not quite as catchy, but….

17. Angie says:

there’s just so much going on in this picture–the clown-like tutu, the overabundance of makeup on a little girl, the pink buttons on the shoes, and of course the not-so-clean looking garbage can. I can’t help but wonder what they were trying to accomplish with this.

18. CarrieMac says:

I think the trash can is full of makeup and the little girl fell in it somehow.

19. jay says:

well the trash bin is pretty clean so it is obviously used in an act and not used for garbage. I say: “trash can circus” came to town!

20. binkymae says:

If she can be that confident wearing that outfit, I am sure she will go far in her career of choice. She’s a little doll!
    I bought many such ridiculous outfits for my girls. They loved them and somebody made a ton of money selling them.

21. Marie says:

Aw, she’s a beautiful girl in a wildly colorful costume! I remember my dance lessons well, and tap was my absolute favorite. I’ll bet it was a fun and festive number judging by the costume.

But the trashcan…very strange indeed. Maybe it was significant to the number they did, but it is still a very odd prop to use for a picture that’s too last forever.

22. Kim says:

If the garbage can is part of her act, she needs to be doing something besides leaning on it. But aren’t “stomp” pieces usually done with metal trash cans? So you can get a good noise out of it?

23. modifiedgirl says:

Maybe she’s trying out for a new show where you create your own super-hero? “I am THE RECYCLER!!”

24. carol says:

I need sunglasses for this one.

25. Barbie says:

really??

26. Peanut says:

I think she should be popping out of the trash can… you know a… “Jackie in the can.”
    I crack myself up!

27. MN says:

I don’t have a problem with all the make up because I get the feeling that this kid is probably involved in theatre or something like that, and if that’s the case, great. I would be skeeved out if this kid was in those child beauty pageants. However, we don’t know…

The garbage bin is the truly awkward bit of this picture. I’m wondering the same thing Boppie is wondering. Is this a promo for a play or something? Part of the act? Taken out of context, it’s hard to determine anything.

Of course, taken out of context, it’s all the more awkward, which is the entire point of this site. ;)

• Boppie says:

Exactly – knowing the whole story would deprive us of the fun of making up a story!
      On that note, I have some ideas for the title of her one-woman show:

‘Me and My Can’ a la ‘Me and My Shadow’
      “Lil’ Lady Gaga”
      “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile (And A Can)”

28. V. says:

Yes, the heavy cherry-red lipstick is definitely more disturbing than the trash can.

29. Mary says:

definitely a prop in a dance routine. right?

30. Mark says:

That’s just her carrying case.

31. Melissa says:

I think the photo os kind of cute, was probably for a recital or play or something-what I do find a little distubring is all the makeup the little girl has on. She has to be like what, 6-7 tops?

32. Denise says:

I laugh now, but I bet you as soon as my daughter is old enough, I’ll be spending ridiculous amounts of money on crazy outfits and pictures like this.

33. kathy says:

I count three: armshelf, hipshelf, and kneeshelf.

34. Stunbunny says:

MY EYEZ! ZA GOGGLES DO NUSSING!

35. Emily says:

I love that her tights are baggy at the ankles. Anyone remember having legs that little? Oy.

• Nicole says:

Despite the eye-searing costume, it was the tights that caught me. Didn’t the photographer notice? Well, I guess he or she had 30 other little girls waiting for their photos so little details didn’t really crop up. I wish that there was a video for “after”.

36. Merle says:

Judging by that outfit that must have been one hell of a tap recital

37. Angie says:

Couldn’t they have just thrown some fabric over the trashcan? Geez.

38. stacy says:

It’s clear that this is a dance costume. (hence the heavy lipstick- so it can be seen on stage) Stomp is become very popular, so maybe the garbage can is used in the act some way

39. rich witzel says:

Is she supposed to be a new super hero, “THE RECYCLER”?

40. Franci1969 says:

The garbage bin is awkward for sure, but I’m more disturbed by the heavy lipstick. It may be just me…

• Dancingmom says:

Don’t feel bad. You are not alone when it comes to the make up. You are among other people who do not understand why dancers wear heavy make up. It’s obvious the child is some sort of performer and make up is required when dancing on stage. If no make up is on a performer, you will not be able to see the expression (which is usually a huge smile) on the dancer’s face because the stage light will ‘wash’ the person’s face away. It’s part of costume. As far as the garbage can……well that can’t be explained in a professional pic…go figure.

• fancy nancy says:

You are absolutely correct dancingmom, as I am also a dance mom.
        My daughter has been doing competition for years and the heavy makeup is required for the stage for exactly the reasons you listed.
        That being said, having gone to many competitions over the years some of the dancers have gotten ridiculous with the false eyelashes and glitter all over their faces. What this little girl has for makeup is about right for the stage. And I agree, even if the trash can was a prop, did it really need to be in the picture. Boo on the photographer.

• Franci1969 says:

thank you for the explanation. I kind of supposed this behind the heavy make-up. I don’t feel bad at all.

41. Tim says:

Oscar? Oscar are you in there?

42. Canoncowgirl says:

I was so blinded by the awe inspiring terribleness that is her costume I didn’t even notice the garbage can at first. Actually if you hadn’t mentioned it I would probably still be staring at the costume and wold of missed the garbage can alltogether (&may have burned my retinas). I have a feeling this wasn’t the last time the costume & garbage can would meet.

• jnmcnally says:

I’m with you – and then I figured out the reference to “garbage pail kid.” The costume certainly does draw one’s eye to the right of the photo.

43. Boppie says:

Maybe it’s part of her act?…

44. Nancy says:

Maybe Sesame Street’s Oscar the Grouch is in the trash can and he is suppose to pop out.

45. DonKeyHoTay says:

After getting the autographed photo of Emmit Kelly, Jr., little Charlene “Clowndancer” McMurphy’s path was set.

46. akprincess72 says:

At least it doesn’t clash with her outfit… The lid, brings out the blue in the stripe pattern.

47. ElKev says:

Well, it’s better than having the family around sitting on a toilet seat.

48. TT says:

Don’t worry, we’ll edit it out in post.