Early Birds

November 11th, 2009

Early Birds - Grandparents

Retirement has never looked so delicious.

(submitted by Bob)

137 Responses to “Early Birds”

1. melba says:

Awesome scroll down effect (what’s so awkard about this…..whoah!).

Photoshopped, I don’t think so. It’s way too common (see KBeck’s comment) to bother with faking yet another old guy with shorts and black socks. And if it had been photoshopped, they would have gone whole hog and done argyle, not plain black socks.

Love the carpet!

They are bloody marys, not screwdrivers. Unless someone’s got some very red oranges.

2. Zach says:

The sad thing is that the older I get the more this doesn’t look awkward. Sometimes I look down at myself after getting dressed and I laugh at myself and change. I am only 37.

3. NickShoe says:

Wow. Really crappy PS job. Call me- if you’re going to Dr. pics at least have someone who knows what they’re doing have a crack at it!

~NickShoe

4. AllAboutDave says:

I’m guessing his sansabelt slacks were at the cleaners.

5. TheBigDog says:

Not only does he look fabulous, but Grandpop is double fisting this morning. I wanna be retired. Like…right now.

6. Maro says:

LOVIN’ life!!! Very sweet.
    I think my family had the same glassware!!

7. Adhe says:

You know what’s delicious? That’s decor. That’s freaking delicious.

8. HK says:

This looks like how the retirees dress at the Base exchange in Florida. This is florida all day.

I don’t think his socks are shopped, I just think it’s the photo quality and what it is doing to the black. If you look, her shirt has the same effect.

9. Tim says:

Photoshopped or not, it is my EXACT goal in life to retire and be exactly like Dad here: short shorts, blacks socks and loafers while rocking the polo shirt and slammin’screwdrivers for breakfast.

RIGHT ON, FOLKS – YOU GO!!

10. Old Penguin says:

It could be photoshopped, or it could be slightly overexposed, giving an overall grained look and causing the black socks and shoes to lose all natural contrast. Hmmmm. Which makes more sense? Hint: the washed out look of the floor is a clue. Honestly, to all you photoshop wet noodles, have you ever stopped to consider motive? Why photoshop a photo that can so easily be taken on any sunny morning with Gram and Gramps? Who has that kind of time? (Well, obviously Gram and Gramps have that kind of time, but they seem to have better things to do. Cheers!)

11. Michelle says:

I agree, TOTALLY photoshopped. FAIL!

12. Nailuj says:

She looks like my MIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. meche says:

I am with Niecey and the others. At first glance I thought “wow” but after a second look you can clearly see the socks are photoshopped. they look way too dark and dont match the same quality as the rest of the picture.

14. Emily says:

Gramps has a nice set of legs. Ow.

15. HAnnah says:

i really hope those are bloody marys

16. Katie says:

Aaaaaggghhh, my dad’s old apartment used to have that hideous flooring!

17. D'OH says:

Those are REGULATION retirement shoes, socks and high-waisted shorts on Paw Paw and the Regulation retirement Muu Muu and Beehive hair do on Maw Maw. They made sure they used Marney’s “Official Retirement Checklist” before moving to Florida. Maw Maw and Paw Paw did not dare deviate from the manual. The feared the wrath of Marney, even 2000 miles away. They never knew when she might pop in on them unexpectedly.

18. Julie K says:

This scene is common in Florida… there are special stores (Bealls) that sell “Old Men Rule” t-shirts… far too casual for this couple, but still….

Spending their children’s inheritance on foolishness — like long socks and screwdrivers.

19. carol says:

Even if the socks are fake, which they may not be, the shorts alone are smokin’ yee haw, go! Why doesn’t his wife go out and buy him a different outfit? Does she think he looks good? I just have to wonder. My eyes are really hurting now; I looked at their flooring.

• Denise says:

Of course she thinks he looks good! Just look at her taste in clothing. She thinks SHE looks good!

• carol says:

Well, yes, there is that. And on second thought, there’s a good chance that she DID pick out his outfit. “Wear your red shorts today, dear, with your knee socks and nice shoes. We have to go into town later…”

• ning says:

My grandfather (and my father, when I was a kid in the 80s) used to wear long socks with shorts but never black socks and shoes. Maybe it’s a hot climate thing. :)

20. hcw80 says:

This is the celebration party after Mel here was elected President of the Boca Royal Grande Pointe Homeowner’s Association. Cheers and Congrats, Mel and Audrey.

21. KBeck says:

People, I live in South Florida—I promise ya, even if THIS one is photoshopped—-there are 5,000 others waiting in line behind him with the exact same outfit. That, or the other, summer-wear variation: white shoes and black socks. My dad rocks the white shoes when he goes out on the town.

• hcw80 says:

Yup! Another Floridian here. When anyone over 65 crosses the border we give them a glass of orange juice, a white belt, and socks to wear with shorts (we do prefer the sandals and socks – but live and let live). I invite anyone who even remotely thinks this is not the uniform of the day in various retirement communities to come down and visit. Just follow the path of slow moving cars with blinkers going into any community marked, “Active Living”.

22. sb says:

PHOTOSHOP for sure

23. tracy says:

if this was indeed photo shopped, i’m gonna go ahead & make a guess that his original footwear was white sneakers with black socks – that’s my uncle’s favorite look. i’m just waiting for him to make it on this site!

24. Evelyn McHale-Collyer says:

You know, I saw a hipster couple back in August in midtown sitting on the front porch with PBRs.

They were dressed ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE THIS.

Scary.

25. Tim S says:

When did Margaret and Denis Thatcher move to Florida?

26. Random says:

Who cares if it’s Photoshopped or not. My Granddad used to wear stuff like this all the time so it’s real enough for me. This old guy is awesome.

27. Nate says:

Definitely photoshopped. It’s the first one on here that I’ve thought was…and it’s pretty obvious.

28. Mandy says:

Yeah, the socks and unibrow look photoshopped, but the shoes look legit. The shoes and outfit alone are awkward

29. Miss JEnny says:

LM*O Kellie!!! This is my aboslute favorite!! This WAS in style…OMG no wonder I need therapy!!
    Peacelove,
    Miss Jenny

30. Maya B says:

What, no sandals with the black kneesocks? Amateur!

31. Katie says:

The socks are clearly Photoshopped. I don’t go around claiming everything is PS, but this is a pretty poor job.

• CB says:

actually, to me is kind of looks like someone may have taken marker–presumably to the original photograph, and did some old school editing to this photo…..not necessarily “shopped” but it does look potentially fake….

• J says:

Looks like hundreds of pics of my grandparents from the seventies. The photos are starting to degrade, and the bright areas break down differently from the dark areas. I have a pic somewhere of my grandpa standing in a dark suit in full sunlight, and it looks like somebody pasted his body onto another photo. It’s just how photos age.

• JT says:

Look at the right leg though. You can still see part of the calf. I get the bright/dark contrast thing. But he’s either got a big hole in the sock at the calf, or the pic has been tinkered with.

32. Marvelous says:

Is it just me or do those socks look fake?

33. LilJ says:

I’m gonna have to say it – Photoshopped. The socks aren’t nearly that long, and the eyebrows are…not. But hey, cheers to Grandpa anyway!

34. wwolffus says:

My father the attorney did this get-up in the late 1960s on the weekends. I was about 10 years old, and SO embarrassed.

35. dave says:

I thought this site was about Awkward family photos, not just Old family photos. “Hey look, they’re wearing stuff that we don’t wear these days! How funny!”

36. Niecey says:

The socks and shoes look photoshopped. I think someone was a bit too desperate to make it to awkward family photos. This was desperate, mate. Very desperate.

• Ken says:

HEY AFP, I TOLD YOU!!! THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF PHOTOSHOP EXPERTS THAT ARE JUST WAITING FOR THE CALL FROM YOU GUYS. NIECEY HERE APPARENTLY KNOWS HOW TO SPOT FAKE PHOTOS!! AW COME ON, GO AHEAD AND HAVE HIM…. HER…ER, WHATEVER SEND YOU HIS/HER RESUME. I’M SURE THEY HAVE SOME SORT OF FBI, CIA, NSA, MI6, FFA, FAA, CPA, CPIM, HMSS…. WELL YOU GET THE IDEA.THIS IS EXPERIENCE THAT IS BEING WASTED WITH HOURS POURING OVER THESE MERE AMATEUR PHOTOSHOPPED PHOTOS FOR FREE. I’M SURE YOU WILL GET QUALITY WORK FROM GOOD OL’ NIECEY HERE.

• karensu says:

i agree, i think the same thing!!

• Trevor Hawkes says:

You’re right. Look closely at the socks and how they blend with the background. Somebody’s a cheater.

• Jess says:

This looks shopped, I can tell from some of the pixels ;)

• Boppie says:

Don’t any of you have grandparents? No one in that age bracket would throw out perfectly good shoes and socks just because they ‘don’t go’ with shorts and polo shirts. This is clearly a 70′s era photo, so these peeps are even a little older than my grandparents would have been at that time – and my Popsie wore his black socks and work shoes TO THE BEACH on the weekends, because he wasn’t going to waste perfectly good money on special shoes _just for leisure_. I can hear him now: “That atttitude is why you kids are in the pickle you’re in today – you don’t need more than one set of clothes – you’re lucky you HAVE one set of clothes. When I was a kid I had to SHARE one pair of shoes with my 4 brothers, and they only fit one of us at a time as we grew…” Etc. So no, not Photoshop – a little-used concept called FRUGALITY.

37. Mary says:

I wanna hang with these two, especially Pops! And man, could those socks GO any higher? And I’m totally diggin’ the shoes. Yep, look out Grandma, I’ve got my eye on this guy!

38. CarrieM says:

He’s only retired from the knees up. His calves and feet still go to work every day.

39. Me says:

Men in Bermuda dress like this all the time…

40. Nicole says:

Dang. He’s pimp. He’s even wearing Lacoste lol

41. angela says:

Ah man….As much as I want to laugh, he was/is someone’s grandpa and he looked like he was/is a happy guy. Cheers grandpa!

• Marie says:

Yesssss, Angela! They both look happy and fit and seem to be enjoying life. FIE to all those who pooh-pooh the attire! I hope to be that happy in 20 or 30 years, too!

42. albert omega says:

livin’ the good life.

43. Amice says:

Best explained if he’s English. Let’s pretend he’s English.

44. Aaron says:

I love the crazy eyebrow illusion created by those glasses.

45. kandee says:

Love the socks pops!

46. JS says:

When I am old, I am going to start smoking and drinking screwdrivers in the morning while wearing knee high socks, and it’s going to be awesome.

47. Whoa says:

McLovin, hangin’ out at the Shady Rest Retirement Village Sunday brunch.

48. Megan says:

Black socks, red shorts, and green shirts..what a turn on.