5 Days to Christmas

December 19th, 2009

5 Days to Christmas - Behind The Awkwardness

My uncle decided that my grandfather spent too much time in the bathroom. For Christmas, he got him a padded toilet seat so he would be more comfortable. Super awkward.”

(submitted by Kelley)

60 Responses to “5 Days to Christmas”

1. Misty Jade says:

My dad gave my mom a new toilet seat for Christmas one year and taped a Starbucks card to it. Since she knew he didn’t care for Starbucks, she asked him if the gift, as a whole, was meant as editorial comment.

2. Noone says:

Constipation is a vicious disease……

3. big dave says:

of course the lid is up…duh

4. Meg says:

HAHAHAHH good grief, my sister and I got a padded toilet seat one year for christmas…. wish I could find the picture!!!

5. kathleen says:

Super practical. And super-awesome.

6. Patika says:

My brother Joe once gave my sister an enema kit for Christmas because she said her sink was clogged up. This year he gave my daughter some hemmoroid cream. He squished up the tube to make it look like it was used. He probably knows your uncle.

7. lump says:

my dad gave me a can of corn one year…… and mustard another. my wife asked me if he was “special” i said no thats just my dad

8. Kathi says:

Kelley, your grandpa looks a lot like my dad. Are you by chance either Indiana or North Carolina? Most of my family is in those two states.

9. Katie Swim says:

My family would’ve done this as well.

10. DS says:

Wait…he thought he spent too much time in the bathroom, so…

he gave him something so he’d be MORE COMFORTABLE in the bathroom???

Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?

11. Thighmaster says:

What a thoughtful gift!

12. kelly says:

The best part is the lovely “Fffffft” noise that the padded seats make when you sit on them. If you’re really lucky, you can feel the little bit of air come out as well.

13. Julie K says:

My grandfather & Great-uncle went back and forth with gag gifts. One year Uncle Ray was bragging about the picture frame he got for my grandparents. Then grandpa opened it up… Yep, toilet seat..with a black & white photo of my grandparents taped in the opening.

Ray, ever the engineer, explained how it should be mounted.

14. Liz1388 says:

After my husband and I moved into our new home, my Christmas list mentioned I’d like a clock for the master bathroom. My Dad found us a “lovely” toilet seat/lid shaped one which he thought was just perfect. My husband took it to work and it’s still on the wall in their meeting room over 10 years later. Men and toilet seats – there is a psychic bond.

15. SRC says:

This is the worst White Elephant gift EVER!!!! LOL

16. Cathy says:

This would be a normal event at our gift exchanges LOL

17. Linda Juhascik says:

We bought our son, Matthew, a cushioned toilet seat (he HATED the hard one!) when he was about 14; he sat on it as he opened the rest of his gifts!

• Scott says:

That’s got to be the worst Christmas gift I’ve ever heard of for a mother to give her 14 year old son. When Matthew climbs a bell tower and opens fire, you’ll know why.

18. Tim says:

Thoughtful AND practical! One thing’s for sure: he ain’t returning THAT present!

19. magillicuddy says:

at least you know it’s a gift that will get used and not regifted… I would hope…

20. mary peck says:

I’m sure this guy is in my family somewhere. Maybe a fifth cousin or something.

21. Neva says:

They should put one of those beaded seat cover things on it for extra-extra-comfort.

22. Jean says:

Not likely to be re-gifted at least.

23. Julie says:

Glad you’re finally using “Christmas” instead of “X-mas”.

24. tina says:

my grandfather used to give gifts like that under the moniker “the question mark”. it was an awesome excuse to give wildly inappropriate presents, like… fart pills to my grandma, and pasties to my great grandmother, as well as extremely noisy toys to my siblings and me so we could annoy our parents. my father and i have continued the tradition, lol.

25. Ken says:

We had one of those toilet seats when we were kids. They’re not the best thing because when they wear out the vinyl that covers the foam rubber interior actually cracks and comes apart, plus the foam rubber loses it’s spongy-ness. They actually end up gross and nasty with wear. So if grandpap here really used the bathroom that much he would probably need another toilet seat by the following Christmas. It would be even more awkward if that became his annual Christmas gift… Christmas toilet seat 1985….. Christmas toilet seat 1986….

• Laura says:

Don’t forget how the cracks pinch you when you sit down, unsuspecting, at your relatives’ house when you’re just a young child and have not experienced a padded toilet seat before. Or maybe that’s just me.

26. carol says:

This stinks!

27. carol says:

I liked miss curlers! Where’d she go? Now that was cute AND awkward! I know this comment won’t make it up there. But still, where’d the little cutie go in her pink rollers? That was classic… and sweet!

28. My Dad was awful tired of my mom putting the fuzzy covers on the toilet lids…he couldn’t stand to do his business without the seat and lid crashing down mid stream! So, for Christmas, he got her some lovely and decorative wood seats which did not require any fuzziness whatsoever.

He’s now a very happy and relieved man.

29. Samantha says:

I’d hate to be the home depot casher who sold the thing…

customer: “I’ll need a gift receipt for the toilet seat”
    cashier: “no. gross.”

30. Joan says:

Mom gave me a fluffy toilet seat cover because she thinks the toilet seat is too cold in winter, and that the cold temperature would interfere with my “regularity”. It’s pee yellow too.

31. John says:

Those padded seats have their place in the ‘worst design museum’ in Berlin.

32. joyce says:

My Dad once gave our Uncle Jake a fur-lined toilet seat for his outhouse because it was so cold in there in the winter. Yep, he didn’t have indoor plumbing. Uncle Jake tried it out then and there (test drive only, not the real thing!) and he loved it. We have it on a home movie.

33. Robert says:

I can just hear him saying, “Man, if that thing is heated as well….. HOOO-WEEEE!”

34. Jesse says:

My parents toilet is kind of on its last legs and they are the types that don’t replace something until it stops working altogether. So I’ve more than once thought of getting them a brand new toilet for Christmas.

35. JFStan says:

“That’s right, come closer.. just a little closer.. so I can SLAM YOUR HEAD IN THIS THING!”

36. Sarah says:

It’s especially awkward if that’s the way he installed it.

37. bmj2k says:

Now that is a thoughtful present!

38. Hinto says:

oh my gosh we did this for my dad too. I thought my family was the only crazy ones! We have a picture of his with it around his neck though. I should try to dig it up ;]

39. Jess says:

One year I painted a toilet seat to look like a wreath and gave it to my dad. We still have it.

40. Ken says:

Nothing says Merry Christmas like “Here’s a toilet seat, why don’t you test drive this baby!”

41. Matt K says:

A crappy Christmas.

42. tina says:

I think it’s kinda sweet.

43. Fanboy Wife says:

What? No crown to match the throne?

44. Bucky says:

“Go on, try it out. We’ll wait.”

45. gk says:

I also gave a toilet seat to my grandmother last Christmas — hers was getting old, so it was a practical gift. She loved it.

46. jnmcnally says:

Here’s awkward to add: your Uncle would have bought it, your grandfather would have posed with it. My mother would have talked incessantly about it at family funerals.

• chevygirl says:

LMAO ……………..omg… i thought only my in-laws did stuff like that, but it would be my Sister in law would would be talking about it :0> and YES they would be the type of ppl to give a toilet seat out at christmas!

47. Tim S says:

I hope he doesn’t install it in that configuration.