Cougartown

March 3rd, 2010

Cougartown - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

“This was my brother and me in a crib that our dad had built, along with Sadie the cougar. We were modeling for his furniture, but who knows whether or not this confusing pic gave credit to his woodworking skills.”

(submitted by Corina)

174 Responses to “Cougartown”

1. CanadianWinter says:

Honey, The kids are playing in the cougar cage again.

2. Johnny says:

If that cat decides that it needs a scratching post that beautiful crib is ruined, my cat has wrecked my leather armchair, however it does make up for this by frequently bringing me gifts that it has killed and gutted with it’s inate and admmirable butchery skills. This shws a complete disregard for quality furniture.

3. Katie says:

Please tell me this is the guy that now owns American Furniture Warehouse in Colorado Springs? That would be too funny…

4. Richard says:

I hope that cougar was well fed before they put it in the “cage” with the sisters!

5. AC says:

“How was your day?”

“I got mauled by a cougar, didn’t learn a d@mn thing about racing, AND I ruined my Crystal Gayle t-shirt.”

6. Lily says:

Hi Corina,
    two questions , please :)

One is the cougar real ?

Two [only if you answered yes to the above] could you tell us what your present ocupations are ?

Truly facinating.

• Dad says:

Hi.
      I love all the comments!!
      I’m the dad that took the photo. Sadie, the crib and the kids are all very real. The one on the right is my son, back when mullets were in style. The pic was taken with an old film camera, turned into a cd then printed. That is why it looks photoshopped. I made the crib in 1985 out of solid walnut with linseed oil and Corina still has it today at age 25. The crib met all the safety standards from that era. Corina is an animal rights activist, not PETA, and a vegetarian.
      Saide was owned by a man from Portland Ore. She was raised from birth and very well cared for. She easily jumped into the crib for the shot. She liked it in there and didn’t really want to get out. Sadie did a few of the old Mercury Cougar commercials on tv back in the late 70′s.
      Sadie and several other exotic cats were killed by a PETA group about a year after this photo. The photo was taken in 1988.

• Corina says:

I think my dad answered pretty well, but I’m a massage therapist. Originally going to be an animal massage therapist, but with the economy the way it is – well, you know how that goes. There’s not enough business out there yet making animals feel good.

7. Nique says:

It’s all fun and games until someone gets mauled.

8. Momma Bee says:

When clicking on this link, I totally thought they meant “cougar” as in older ladies who like to chase young men. Ha! Where are the guy-zelles?

9. Alan says:

And ring in the next 10 minutes & not only do you get the crib & 2 kids of your choice,but we will throw in a fully grown,live cougar……it’s a great offer,would wouldn’t be lion to you.

10. Noneya says:

Nice touch with the steak mobile.

11. Noneya says:

I think that cougar with the kids would distract from the product rather than enhance it. Nobody’s gonna look at the crib if they see a cougar with two kids inside the crib.

12. sally Jones says:

This looks photoshopped.

Certainly isn’t real….

Check it out, zoom in

13. Zonsil says:

Some of you people have lived rather sheltered lives… while it may be MORE uncommon now, up until about a decade ago, it was almost normal in a few select areas of the US to have an indigenous wild cat as a “pet”. I’m not in favor of such practices personally, but I’ve known enough people who’s “sweet, un-aggressive” Pitt Bulls have turned on neighbors, or even family members to conclude the same about people who own THEM.

14. Don says:

Do you honestly want me to believe that this crib is going to keep those kids and that cougar from getting out? Good grief…there’s already a kid crawling out to the left of the….whoops. Sorry. It’s a picture of some sort. I thought to myself “that’s got to be the most cartoon-ish looking kid I’ve ever seen.” Nevermind.

15. Arvee says:

Anyone who’s ever owned a cat knows that look: Sadie is NOT happy.

16. Honu says:

Don’t know why everyone thinks the cougar is real. Either taxidermy from dad’s hunting, or else a Steiff or other stuffed animal. And kids always name their pets, whether real or stuffed (or these days, virtual).

But I hope they can put a notice at the bottom of this film that “no animals were harmed in the making of this picture” and officially blessed by PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). I never got to eat a cougar, and at this age probably never will.

• blu_canary says:

Because the “ticked off and annoyed” looking toys always sell so well. That’s the preferred form for taxidermists, too. Not wild and dangerous…irritated. Always a crowd favorite!

• Corina says:

She was as real as they get, and very much alive. My dad never would have hunted those beautiful animals, or any other animal for that matter. She belonged to a man that my parents met at a home show. PETA (the real one) unfortunately did get involved, and about a year later killed all the exotic cats, including this cougar, who belonged to the guy.

17. Uncuw Biww says:

The cougar ate my baby!

18. Stephie says:

Hey everybody, it’s child endangerment week on AFP!

19. Osetheme says:

Once upon a time, before the mid-80s or so (it looks like this pic was taken in the 70s, maybe early 80s?), the world wasn’t quite as safety conscious (or paranoid, depending on the situation, really) than we are now. Cribs were styled differently (and yes, injured children, which is why they are different now), and people thought keeping wild animals as pets wasn’t such a horrible idea.

Growing up, I knew of at least 2 families in my COUNTY that had cougars as pets. They were very safety conscious, but still understood that any animal is dangerous around a small child. Did that stop the kids from playing with said kitties? Newp. There was actually an incident where one of the kids got attacked by a neighbor’s dog, and the cougar saved the kid. The neighbors, of course, railed on the dangerous cougar next door, for attacking fluffy so viciously.

• cristy says:

I hear that dog’s good eatin… kids don’t get as good nutrition as the dogs do. LOL

• mary says:

My kids were shocked to hear car seats were not used regularly when I was a baby and seat belts were not required. I am not even 30. Different child standards for different times!

20. Suz says:

Oh My Stars! They have crib bumpers in there–those are so dangerous! Thank goodness times have changed and children are safer now.

21. m says:

Dangerous Drop Down Crib…check
    Strangulation Mobile….check
    Suffocation Bumbers….check
    Cougar…..check

Life insurance policy on both kids. check and check.

• blu_canary says:

Okay. That made me laugh loud enough that I scared the lions in the other room. When I think of the tense nights wondering if I had baby proofed the baby’s room well enough…. I should have just tossed in a cougar to keep an eye on her!

• Stephie says:

And what nursery of death would be complete without the toxic lead-based paint?

22. DMF says:

Wow, and people used to think that housecats could kill their babies…

23. Kermit says:

“Siegfried and Roy: The Toddler Years”

24. Mandy says:

This is animal cruelty putting to toddlers with a cat. They will probably pull its tail and grab it by its head. Someone needs to report this to the Humane Society.

25. Anne says:

OMG, could this be from American Furniture Warehouse in Denver? Are these the children of Jake Jabs???

(Note to non-Denverites: AFW regularly featured tigers in their ads.)

• J9 says:

I was just going to say… Is your dad Jake Jabs from American Furniture Warehouse? I don’t think he builds the stuff though.

• momoftwo says:

I was wondering the same thing! I’ve lived in this area all my life and have seen Jake Jabs’ commercials with a ton of different animals, so it wouldn’t surprise me if these were his kids!

• KQP says:

I thought the same thing! Jake Jabs — the early years!

• Nicole says:

OMG, that is the same thing that I thought of when I saw this pic!!

• tony14 says:

Yep, I was thinking Jake Jabs too. Nothing sell furniture like cute kids and jungle animals.

• 666 dimebag wife says:

The exact same thing I was gonna say!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see fellow Coloradans (or used to be Coloradans) think alike!!!!! Ha ha ha!

26. Jessicak says:

I am so cunfused I dont know what to say…I just stared…mouth open…whaaaaaaaat??? HOW?? WHY?

27. Vik says:

I suppose it could’ve been worse. At least it’s not a dingo…

28. Rhonda says:

Forget the cougar. What the heck is on that girls head?

29. Scott says:

NOT AWKWARD!

I don’t know why it isn’t awkward. Just seems to become a tradition to have someone saying that in every thread. I don’t want to break with tradition, you know.

• Suz says:

lol Scott – that’s exactly why I put “not awkward” on the camel lovin’ photo – tradition! Then I had someone seriously agree with me. :::scratches head:::

30. Dr. Goat says:

I love how nonchalantly Sadie the cougar is mentioned in the description. I do like the crib, but I think the giant mountain cat could get out.

31. Both of them look like girls, & I don’t believe for a minute that cougar is real.

• Gravity's Rambo says:

I was going to say the same thing – except I think the cougar is real (duh!), but the woodworking is totally ‘shopped.

• Corina says:

Uh, yeah, the one on the right is my brother and nothing about this is photoshopped, except scanning the original picture (circa 1988) into the computer.

32. Tammy says:

lets be honest..we don’t know if the cougar is safe..those kids look deadly to me….way to go dad..way to put the cougar in harms path! LMAO.

33. Roxanne says:

Anyone heard of Seigfried and Roy????

34. Groggle says:

And they got mad when MJ dangled his baby, and Steve Irwin fed crocs with Bindy… I’m sure this was a trusted and tame cougar pet and all, but DAYUM!

• blu_canary says:

Trusted and tame. Uh-huh. My cat is trusted and tame, but she’s also little (relatively). She’s made it abundantly clear that if she were the size of a tiger, she would have eaten the entire family by now. In a cat’s case? Domestication is nothing more than a size issue. *LOL*

35. racquel says:

Holy crap, is that real???

36. dangermom says:

Wait, is that an actual real cougar? Who owns a cougar as a pet??

37. Harry says:

The previous shot with the Badger explains why their younger brother Robbie was unable to attend this shoot

38. Boppie says:

OK, I want everyone who made those comments about dogs eating babies’ faces off – you know who you are! – to APOLOGIZE to the nearest dog!

• Sarah says:

But why? I love dogs as much as (and possibly more than) the next girl, but dogs HAVE eaten babies’ faces off and they’ve done worse. Sure, most dogs are good, but the fact remains that these things have happened.
      Cougars on the other hand…

• loveit! says:

Dogs are animals, not people. Even the best dog in the world can snap. You can’t communicate with a dog, so how can you trust it 100%??

• Magic Pink says:

What? Of course you can communicate with a dog.

• Smitethesmiters says:

Dogs are animals, not people? Are saying that people will not snap and “eat” a face off? Ummm yeah I think that has happened and even worse things that a dog would never think to even try!
          They may be animals and yes they have an instict at times to behave like an animal (how dare they) but people do worse for no reason and can’t blame it on instinct!

• Boppie says:

Seriously, can you post ANY information about a dog spontaneously snapping and EATING a baby’s face off?

And not a baby smeared with chop meat, either…

39. Manda says:

… and it doubles as a crib OR cougar snack box….

40. Artisticulated says:

Buy one, get one…
    Good eatin’ in CougarTown.

41. Katrina says:

Hahahahaha I love this lol the crib is beautiful . But yeah that’s so funny

42. furrrball says:

No, but it certainly gives him credit for parenting skills.

43. Kimberly says:

Oh my. I just would never trust a freaking COUGAR around my babies. The wood working skills are very nice, though.

44. Mala says:

Did their dad not like them?

45. charmy_canuck says:

Wow Parenting at its best…I know that people think that their cougar is safe and won’t hurt any one but man these are wild animals! They can snap at any moment and you’d never know until it was too late…No offense person who submitted it but yea…

• dorydorito says:

I don’t know about your cougar, but mine would NEVER hurt anyone. She’s so sweet, she lets the kids climb on her and everything, she’s not once bitten or scratched.

• bert & earnie says:

don’t judge me by my cougar.

• dorydoritoisyummy says:

I don’t know about your cougar but my cougar considers the kids (when they were around) climbing furniture and any bites were love bites. AND My cougar would like to tell your cougar that the babies didn’t really taste like he expected.

• dorydorito says:

Well of course I would understand if my cougar was harassed enough to the point where she needed to protect herself. I mean, if someone was pulling your tail all day wouldn’t you want to defend yourself? A quick swipe, or a little bite isn’t going o hurt, right?

• iLOLd says:

Don’t judge my cougar by my carpentry-and, no sudden moves.

• Sammy says:

My kids loved their cougar so much, that if something did happen, well at least they were doing what they loved.

46. Kristin says:

Um…….

47. Kelley says:

Girl on the right…”um, yeah, hi there….I think I would like to get out now….”

48. sassafrass says:

OH MY GOSH!!!

49. Mark says:

Their parents are either the best parents in the world. Or the worst. I can’t decide.

• binkymae says:

I assume since you know how to use a computer that you survived your childhood and the call to CPS is no longer necessary, but had I seen this ad, I would have made that call!

50. Bec says:

I don’t really care much about the handmade furniture, am way more interested in why or how you had a pet cougar?? Did your family run a zoo? Did you have a zebra and a monkey too? You missed the most important part of the explanation!