Soul Train

June 22nd, 2010

Soul Train - Family Portrait

From the days when “doing the locomotion” actually meant being on a locomotion.

(submitted by Beth)

115 Responses to “Soul Train”

1. George Johnson says:

Been there, done that. Except I was about 5 and barely remember it (so, about ’65 or so). I don’t remember much of that time, but I do remember this, some anyway. I remember getting the little box of salt rocks, I think there was 6 or 9 to a box, dark colored. Very cool.

2. CARMEN says:

Blast to the past omigod my parents have a pic also just like this -yeah thats crazy we also had those nasty colored salt rocks and my parents traumatizing me at such a young age .We were there in late seventies..cool

3. laura says:

Ha! I was just there in May. Thankfully no hats for us, just lovely white coveralls.

4. JimBob says:

You mean, “…when doing the Locomotion meant being on a locomotive”, not locomotion!

5. gardencat says:

Wow! This photo spooked me . . . my parents took me here a few times in the 50s and 60s. It was such fun and we took pictures home just like this one. I always got a little box of different colored salt chunks.

6. Jim says:

I have the same picture from 1963! Love it.

7. Smartazz says:

I wish my parents took me to the salt mine in Salzburg…..I spent my summer at the Pepper Mine in Hamburg !!! :(

8. Beth says:

I have this photo of our family from 1959. We lived in Turkey and went to Germany for three weeks vacation. It brings back memeories to see this salt mine train photo.

9. Roxy says:

Been there several times. In the mid-70s, when our daughters were small. Had the same group photo taken. Great fun! One daughter went back this year; said the outfits were a little different. Still wonderful.

10. Bridget says:

OMG, I got a pic just like that….when I saw this one, I actually looked for my parents and myself as a teen lol….was lots of fun though!

11. Marian says:

I was there in 1962 with my family.
    Still haven’t changed the hats! Do you still wear a ‘kidney belt’ or whatever the wide leather belt was?

12. Wu says:

Been there- Had this same photo done in ’74 when I visited the salt mine. Great memories.

13. Chelsea says:

Funny thing about this is that I found a picture of my grandpa recreating this same picture, probably around the same year this one was done.

14. Beth says:

Umm, we did this exact picture way back in 2007, LOL! The Salzburg salt mine was great!

• Beth says:

I forgot to add that I have the distinction of being in the front spot of the train, and I got to wear one of the hats. It had a tassle :)

15. Jeff says:

This isn’t an awkward family photo, it’s a photo they always take of groups touring the salt mine in Salzburg. It’s an actual train that takes you into the mine.

16. Chris Thomas says:

I’ve been here, salzburg salt mine! Nears the eagles nest if i’m correct.

• Tony says:

Me too! I loved the slides! It is near the Eagles Nest. Been there too! I went when I was 14. I would love to go back now as an adult with my wife. Germany and Austria is beautiful. In all fairness, I have one of these pictures with me in it. Mine is in color though.

• Aaron Zeigler says:

Cool pic – neat that so many people recognized location & what it was! I too have been here (Salzburg) and have the same photo as a kid with my parents and grandparent. My other set of grandparents visited a year later and went – my grandpa, who’s 6′ 5″ fell off the slide they have and broke his arm! Good times!

• Morgen says:

Me too! I still have my little salt shaker of salt too :) Love it!