Condolences

August 30th, 2010

Condolences - Family Portrait

Part of the special edition “pay your respects” Cabbage Patch Dolls.

(submitted by Julie)

122 Responses to “Condolences”

1. KE says:

Walter got fake flowers on his side, Maggie got a fake baby.

2. Swimming against the tide says:

I think that’s Maggie.

3. aubs says:

Hey, gee, do you guys think that’s Maggie??

4. susie says:

I think probably Maggie was too sick to visit the grave and they took a picture of the stone to show her. I’m sure she was thrilled with the Cabbage Patch Doll.

5. John says:

If that were aunt Maggie in the photo, she’d be a minimum of 91 when the photo was taken.

6. Nik says:

That can’t be Maggie. Even if this picture was taken in 1983 right after Walter died, that would still make her at least 90 years old. There’s no way that woman is 90 years old… unless it really is the ghost of Aunt Maggie…?

7. Jomo says:

It cant be Maggie . Assuming that the pic was taken in 1983 ( after Walter died ). That would make Maggie 91 years old at the time of this picture . Its more likely another relative ( like a daughter and grandkids ) . The woman in the picture is not 91 years old !

8. BMN says:

I’m gonna guess that is Maggie and Walter’s daughter with the little girls because she doens’t look like she is 91 years old. She is their grandmother and the headstone is new, so she wanted a photo to take to her mother to show her.

Agree?

9. steph says:

I doubt that’s Maggie standing there…..the pic was taken after 3/17/83 making Maggie at least 90 years old….there is no way this woman is in her 90s.

Regardless, still a very odd, I mean awkward, picture.

10. betsy says:

I don’t think that’s Maggie in the picture… she looks a little young to be in her 90s.

11. Tiffani says:

Wow…I want to be a part of that family gene pool…look how long Mags and Walter hung in there. Walter was near a hundred!

Give me some of THAT blood!

12. JimD says:

I don’t think that’s Maggie. She would be at least 90 years old at the time the picture was taken. She was born May 11, 1892 and Walter’s death date on the tombstone is March 17, 1983.

13. June Bug says:

C’mon people – there’s no way that woman is Maggie. She definitely does NOT look 90 years old in that picture! If she’s 90, I want whatever youth cream she’s using.

14. Clues for Hire says:

Unlikely, given the probable date of the photo and the fact that Maggie would be in her nineties (assuming the photo was taken in around the mid-eighties, based on the dolls, the hair, the clothes, and so on). The woman in the photo is probably the daughter of Maggie and Walter Issacs, so she’s posing (awkwardly, yes) with her parents’ gravestone.

15. Pokerpace says:

I aint gonna work on Maggie’s cabbage patch no more…….

16. Elinor says:

“I think that must be Aunt Maggie standing next to the youngsters.”

Well, considering this photo must have been taken in 1983 at the earliest Maggie is at least 91! and I don’t know about you but I have met no 90-somethings looking that good .. so I think the lady in the pic is probably their daughter… with her children or grandchildren.

I suspect when this photo was taken that Maggie was at home somewhere taking it easy as all 90-somethings should. I doubt very much she is with us today.

And as for the cabbage patch dolls I have no explanation….

17. LuLu says:

Ahhhhh….the 80′s…when little girls took their cabbage patch dolls EVERYWHERE.

18. deb says:

People! Stop and think for a minute–this picture had to be taken no earlier than mid 1983. That means that if that WAS Maggie standing there she would have to be HOW old? 91 by my figures. If that lady is 91 she’s in the best damn shape ever! I’m thinking those are Maggie’s grand and great grand daughters there. That said, this is definitely one of the most awkward photos ever!

19. Wendy says:

Perhaps this was part of the lost ad campaign for Cabbage Patch “Posties” (as the preemies were such a flop).

20. Wendy says:

I wonder if, instead of the name “Xavier”, the epitaph is also tattoed on the cabbage patch doll hineys?

21. Capt_Video says:

I have a lot of family photos like this actually… well, minus the Cabbage Patch Kids. My Grandparents posing with their stone, my cousin napping on the grave of our Great-great-grandparents, the dedication ceremony for my Great-great-great-great-grandfather’s stone… My family reunion is held every year in the cemetery (complete with family portraits and pot-luck supper). We like to include the whole family in everything!

22. VintageGent says:

I’m going to go against the grain and say that the woman in the photo is NOT Maggie, as she would be minimally in her early 90s when the photo was taken (1983 being the earliest possible date of the photo unless the gravestone carried a glaring error…and as we all know if you had a cabbage patch doll in 1983 or 4 you HAD to show it off.) I would guess that the woman is the mother of the two girls if this is Texas (viva la Ann Richards hair), but if not, its Grandma holding out on her modified 60s tease and eschewing the feathered peacock-rear hairdo or the Toni home perm.

23. Wilma Stoneflint says:

Actually, the picture could have been at his burial in 1983, which would make her 91 at that time. Cabbage Patch Kids were around then, I think….

24. Dave says:

If that is Maggie, she looks very good for at least being over 90. She was born 1892 and the pic was taken after Mar 17 1983…I HOPE!!! Otherwise it is WAY to creepy.

25. JerseyPam says:

In the 1980′s, Maggie would be in her 90′s. Maybe daughter and grandaughters? “Let’s go play house at Dad’s!”

I know…that is just sick sick sick.

26. Julie says:

My Mother-in-law and her mom insisted on taking pictures of us at her father’s grave site. To me that was totally awkward and weird. Were they hoping for a ghostly figure to appear in the picture?

27. debby says:

I’m thinking she’s Maggie & Walter’s daughter. Maggie would be at least 91 when they took that pic…much too old to go on a Cabbage Patch picnic.

28. melvis says:

When I was engaged to my husband, his grandmother informed me that there would be room for me in the family plots. That’s why I married him.

29. Janice says:

My grandparents bought their plots well in advance and had a tombstone there. They even took pictures and shared them with everybody. It was kinda morbid to us grandkids. Can’t say we ever took a picture with Grandpa after he died though.

30. Lynch says:

How funny. I had the same Cabbage Patch doll as the girl in the red t-shirt!

31. Jenn says:

Totally not the point of this pic, but oh my gosh, I had one of those Cabbage Patch doll carriers! I forgot all about it until I saw it just now.

32. TS says:

Uh, is the lady in the photo Maggie? Is she posing for a photo at her future grave site?

33. Randy Fellows says:

I love it how they are all smiling.

34. LoveThisSite says:

A Cabbage Patch doll???!!!!! LOL!

35. Jon says:

“Time to offer your dolls to grandpa as a sacrifice!”

36. Gee, I knew those dolls came with “birth certificates,” but I had no idea you could get them with burial plots as well.

37. sarah says:

I think that is Maggie standing there with the girls. took ‘em to see grandpas grave

38. SmartAzz says:

I think that is Maggie in the picture. In 1983 with her grand daughters(and great grand daughters if you want to count the cabbage patch kids as great grand daughters:) ) visiting
    her late husbands grave site.

* If Maggie is still with us….she is 118 yrs. old and not doing to much these days !!!

• CarrieM says:

It can’t be. She’d have to be at least 91 years old in that picture if it was Maggie. My guess is that the picture was taken around 1983, when Walter died at age 93. They’re not terribly grief-stricken because, well, he was 93, they saw that one coming. If they were visiting the following year, in 1984, Maggie would be 92, if they were visiting in 1985 Maggie would be 93, and so on.

39. Connie says:

When I was a kid, on Memorial Day, my mom’s family would all meet at the cemetery, clean and tidy the headstones, and we’d have a huge picnic after the work was done. To this day, I still believe it was the creepiest tradition ever.

40. Susan says:

I think that must be Aunt Maggie standing next to the youngsters.

41. carol says:

I guess Maggie is going to join Walter when her time comes? Was the time of the cabbage patch doll also the time of big hair? My memory is fuzzy on that…

42. Bob says:

The Cabbage Patch dolls make this slightly more disturbing.

43. Bonnie says:

This could be the most awkward photo ever if that is Maggie herself in the photo.

44. Nautius Maximus says:

That always bothers me… the blank space where they’re just waiting for you to die so they can fill in the date.

45. Lily says:

Yeah. Creepy! Why would anyone do this? This is the type of morbid thing my in-laws would do! Very sad indeed.

46. duh says:

The cabbage is between there ears…

47. Lisa says:

So…bringing the great-granddolls to pay their respects, huh? Okay…

48. Lisa says:

Not to point out the obvious…but is the other grave with the blank marker meant for the old lady in the picture? She seems rather happy to be hanging out at her own grave.

• Clues for Hire says:

Picture was taken in the middle 1980s, judging by the clothes, the dolls, and the dates on the gravestone. The date of birth for the blank side of the headstone is 1892, so Maggie P. Issacs, for whom the grave is waiting, would have been in her nineties at the time. The woman in the photo doesn’t look older than mid-forties, if that. The gravestone is probably for the parents of the woman in the photo.

• Margie says:

That can’t be her. Cabbage Patch dolls were popular in the 80s and even then she’d have been in her 90s. The husband died in 1983 and he was 93 then, so she was 91.

49. Tommy says:

Is Aunt Maggie still with us?

50. CarrieM says:

Yeah, um, there is no cabbage growing in this patch, girls.