August 30th, 2010

Condolences - Family Portrait

Part of the special edition “pay your respects” Cabbage Patch Dolls.

(submitted by Julie)

122 Responses to “Condolences”

1. Robin says:

I guess I don’t get what’s awkward or strange about this. What am I not seeing?

2. Lauren says:

It seems as though the tombstone reads that the person was only a child when s/he passed, explaining the dolls. It is weird to take photos behind a tombstone. My family even took it a step further with pictures of the deceased in the casket once… :/ Maggie could also be an infant who passed on the day of her birth. I’ve seen infant tombstones read that way.

• Sally says:

Maggie was still alive when this picture was taken. Her husband predeceased her. If Maggie had been an infant the date would show that.
      The only explanation for the dolls is that Cabbage Patch dolls were so popular that any kid that got one took it with them wherever they went.

• Mikki says:

Its not a child’s tombstone. Look at the dates He was born was 1890 and passed away in 1983 So he were 93 years old when he died. And it looks like the other person whose name is on the tombstone was still alive at the time the picture was taken cause there’s no death date. And there’s nothing weird at all about taking pictures behind a tombstone. A lot of people do it. A lot of people also take pictures of the deceased inside their coffins.

3. Swedegrrr says:

to Hilary, no one answered your question but those slots ar drainage for water to run out of the flower pots when it rains or when someone waters the flowers so the water won’t just collect and breed mosquitoes and mold

4. Tosh says:

I can’t laugh… I have dozens of pictures of family tombstones with one of my ball jointed dolls placing flowers on them..

5. Rosario says:

Lol. What happened to Maggie? Damn. Lmao.

6. Lisa says:

I thought my family was the only weird one that forced people to pose behind a tombstone. You can see me and my cousins grow up through the series of photos of us posed behind our grandfather’s headstone every Christmas, Easter and Father’s day.

7. anne says:

Maybe Walter loved Maggie’s special cabbage recipe but she’s too old to cook now and only Maggie could cook it properly, so this is their way of honoring his memory.

8. Hilary says:

Pardon me for my ignorance…but what is with the slots in the stones on top? Is this where you post letters to the dear-departed? We don’t do that where I live…

9. Emily says:

My family does the same thing…it’s really weird. There’s this creepy photo of me & my cousins as children standing next to my great-grandparents’ grave.

10. Binkymae says:

I am frugal, but I WILL NOT allow my name to be put on a tomb stone before I am dead!!!

• Lynn says:

I’m with you… Thats just too creepy!

• Allison says:

We actually did that at the masoleum my grandfather is entombed at. My grandmother’s name (she’s still alive, but she has Alzheimer’s Disease) was put on it, as my family was required to put both names for a double spot. My grandmother was ok at the time (Albeit a little flighty), and she totally freaked out when she saw her name on the wall!

• Jeff says:

When my grandmother died in 1960, they made a double headstone and put my grandpa’s name on the other side with “1898 – 19 _ _”. He lived to the year 2000 and got a kick over the fact that their “prediction” ended with their having to make an all-new headstone!

• Jesse says:

When my maternal Grandpa died in 1980 the stone had both him and Grandma on it, but they didn’t put the 19__ in for her, and just left the death date completely blank. Good thing too because she lived until 2003.

On my dad’s side of the family my grandparents have their stone set at their eventual final resting place (both are still alive). Both of grandma’s surviving brothers and their spouses have stones as well set up.

11. SmartAzz says:

Now it all makes sense…the lady is Maggie and Walters daughter. The 2 girls are the grand daughters and when they die, they will be cremated along with their Cabbage Patch Dolls and each girls urn will go in the hollowed out concrete block that is resting under one of the dolls and on the other side where the flowers are….Duh !!

12. sara says:

is NO ONE going to mention how badly the grass needs cut?!?!?!?

13. Chelsea says:

am i the only one who thought maggie was a stillborn?

14. LaLaLa says:

What a sad-looking cemetary – dead weeds & chain link!

15. AntMan252 says:

So…uhm… did Maggie ever die, or is this the best damn photo from the early 1900′s you have ever seen?? *lmao* Maybe this is proof that zombies exist or that Jesus has a freaking sister!!!

16. middleaged grump says:

This was followed shortly by the Special Edition “Zombie” Cabbage Patch Dolls

• Legacy says:

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I want a red-haired zombie cabbage patch like the one my mom gave away without telling me. Disturbingly, it would be like she came back to me from the grave.

17. Smartazz says:

Notice the fence behind the gravestones…Does anyone know why cemeteries have a fence around them ??? Because people are dying to get in !!! Sorry, I couldn’t resist…. :)

18. barney says:

is that maggie p posing with the children?

19. Small World says:

I actually went to school with the girl in red. Small world :P

20. I find it a bit disturbing that the dead gentleman has the same birthday as me…..though he passed before I was born, so I guess he was done with it

21. Inkcap says:

The woman in the picture is not Maggie. It’s Maggie’s daughter. That daughter is the mother of Marnie, who is in turn the mother of the little kids in the picture. Marnie did not allow her grandmother to be buried there because it wasn’t a regulation-sized headstone.

22. 20nic says:

thanks for the math lessons everyone!

23. Softballs says:

We wait for the cover of darkness …
    The new moon is the only night when the ritual can be performed.
    As we chant, grampa’s sole will rise from the earth and rest in the form of a cabbage patch doll.

embroidered in the doll’s bottom:

‘ Chuckie ‘

• Mary says:

Well, that’s all right. Having the bottom of his shoe rise to the surface shouldn’t upset anyone too much, but it will be hard to stuff in a doll.