Behind The Awkwardness: Bones

October 5th, 2010

“This is a photo of me, age 11, and my brother, David, age 15, Christmas 1970. My brother has a dislocated shoulder (wrestling), and I have a broken arm (sledriding). My mother happened to be out of town when I got hurt, and when she got home she told me to quit fooling around and “take that off,” because she thought I was faking it to get attention. Add this to my three concussions, and the 7 times my sister needed stitches in her head, and its no wonder my mom was not happy!”

63 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Bones”

1. JoesMyth says:

Got to love the Christmas Decorations with the photo edge reading Jul 70.

2. ChAzZ says:

Is the fireplace real or a prop for Santa Claus?

3. Carlos says:

Speaking of wrestling, I wonder if after they took their casts off, their physical therapy consisted of arm wrestling each other…

4. Matt Baker says:

That looks like the fireplace from the Fonzie Socks photo….could it be?

5. JS says:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s odd that broken arm girl has her shoulder bandaged and dislocated shoulder boy has his arm bandaged? Hrmmmmm….

6. That’s a double, air, arm-shelf pose. Remarkable!

7. Laura says:

Anything you can do, I can do better!

8. Uncuw Biww says:

lol…kind of funny. I recently had to go to a holiday dinner (in the spring) with my arm all bandaged up from a bike accident and my mother was not impressed.

9. JerseyPam says:

Christmas used to only cost an arm.

10. Liz says:

Wow, Awkward Life is right. Maybe Mom should have stayed home more?

11. M.G. says:

The Sling: the arm shelf that happens by accident!

12. Karyn says:

“You should see our other brother!”

13. Leonard says:

The most interesting part (at least to me) is the picture develop date is JUL 70. But there’s clearly Christmas decor on the mantle. So I guess (like often happened my family) there was undeveloped film in the camera for seven months? :)

14. jonel469 says:

O.K. the date stamp on the left border says Jul 70 so it can’t be Christmas ’70 , unless the dad with one short leg also had a time machine to do his instamatic photo processing.Must have been Christmas ’69 , with the film not being processed until the next july , now thats awkward !

15. Donna Lee says:

I think the son is saying “peace mom, we are all survivers in this accident prone family.”

16. Richard says:

Teal. Never did like that color. And still dont.

17. RyanDA says:

Was your mother not happy because you kids were always getting hurt or were you kids always getting hurt because your mother was unhappy? Sounds like a vicious cycle…

18. Molly says:

k…LOVING the 70′s capri jeans on the brother!

19. Bigbluefan says:

Direct evidence YooHoo is not a substitute for milk

20. Wingnut says:

Been coming to this site for a long time and it seems that the barrel of material is about empty and you are resorting to scraping the bottom now. Is it awkward that they both have arms in slings, or is it that they are posing in front of a fireplace? Maybe it is the pseudo gang sign the young man is throwing out. What is the awkward moment here? Sorry guys, just don’t see any awkwardness in this or some of your recent posts.

• Ducky says:

Wingnut, Sweetheart, it’s 1970 the young gentleman is not throwing out a gang sign, pseudo or otherwise, it’s a peace sign awkwardly thrown out while wearing a sling. And if you do not think two kids in slings in an awkwardly posed photo in front of a crooked fireplace wearing high-water pants is not awkward, well, others of us do.

• scruffy says:

Now that was very awkward and of LMAO

• Probie says:

This conversation is the best part of the entire entry! What a gang sign! LOL!

• RHB says:

Smiling, exploited children (someone broke their arms, and then forced them into highwater pants!!!) photographed in front of a “cheerful” holiday fireplace — if this is not awkward to you, clearly your definition of awkward is as skewed as the angle of that picture! Wingnut, if this is your idea of normal, PLEASE, PLEASE start sending in the pictures from your family album! No doubt they’re a veritable symphony of exquisite awkwardness!

• Wingnut says:

I’m sure that anyone who grew up in the 70′s has pictures that resemble these. Maybe not with two siblings in arm slings, but that doesn’t in my opinion make for an awkward photo. By the time Xmas rolled around many kids were in highwaters since they had been growing out of them since school started the previous summer.

• hanniegirl says:

I agree – not awkward.

• Wingnut says:

Ducky, Sweetheart, I realize it is not a real gang sign in 1970, hence the term pseudo which in this case implies sarcasm. We are all entitled to our opinions as to what is awkward or not. I am simply stating that if one looks back over the history of this site you will see the decline in the obviousness of awkwardness presented. The content has migrated from awkward toward funny or silly. This photo is funny to me but it just doesn’t say awkward and that is what this site advertises itself as.

• Ducky says:

….And yet, others of us still think it’s awkward.

• Redjag says:

Ducky, do you even know the definition of awkwardness? look it up sweetheart.

• Ducky says:

Actually Redjag, yes I do. But to humor you I looked it up in the Merriam-Webster dictionary.
            Definition 3a: lacking dexterity or skill. (Not knowing how to fit your pants can result in awkward high-waters)
            Definition 3b: Showing a lack of expertness. (Dad’s awkward camera angle resuled in a crooked looking fireplace.)
            Definition 4a: Lacking ease or grace. (Lack of ease in wrestling can result in an awkwardly dislocated shoulder. Lack of grace sledding might result in an awkwardly broken arm.)
            Definition 5a: Lacking social grace and assurance. (Awkwardly using the term “Sweetheart” semi-sarcasticly at the wrong time may result in having it awkwardly thrown back at you.)

To which definition were you referring?

• amy says:

I just really don’t get it – why complain? Yep, you are entitled to. I’m also entitled to stand in the frozen foods with rating cards indicating the attractiveness of every walmart shopper in Tacoma Washington off Pearl street (the number 10 would have no fingerprint smudges, but 2 would be frayed and tattered) – but I choose not to. Why? Because it’s not necessary, it’s rude, and it just ruins peoples’ day. Now let’s keep things in perspective – AFP is not anyone’s life blood, it’s not even a necessary food group – however, it adds just a little spice and joy to the lives of a few homemakers (evidently), and also to this successful very influential business owner that I know. It’s light hearted, it’s pretty much clean (except for that one old guy with the dumbell and the really tight shorts) and it’s absolutely hillarious every once in a while. It’s free, it’s created by nice people…so some flowers you see are fragrant roses. Some are pretty basic daisies. Go ahead and whine about the daisies, it’s your ‘right’, but it sure tells us a lot about you! Have a nice day.

• Redjag says:

Amy, I was about to agree with you UNTIL I saw your comment ” “business owner that I know:”… key words “I Know” , I decided against really responding to you and just pointing that out.

it does tell us about the “reason” behind your response.

• Amy says:

Clarify? Btw, I’m the business owner I referred to, and also a housewife. Got the bases covered….

• Amy says:

You”ll have to be more clear. I will, too … A while ago someone was suggesting that the only people who visit this site are housewives. It suggested that people who have more pressing matters have no time for such time-wastery as AFP. Since I know several housewives and good mothers who visit this site, and since I also visit it but am very busy with running my business (and also housewife responsibilities,) I thought I’d mention both categories in my rant. Does this still fit your assumption?

• Skipper says:

Yaaay!

Would you declare “I hate broccoli! It’s yukky!” and then argue with people who say they like broccoli, telling them they’re just wrong?

Same thing as hanging around websites complaining, “This does not amuse ME, therefore it is not amusing.” Most people outgrow the notion that their personal taste is the lone valid standard, but a few do get stuck in that mode.

• Don says:

Amy- I have to say I am impressed with your reply. I sat down this morning at 7:30am with my 6 egg whites, two slices of turkey bacon, and milk and tried to come up with something witty, humorous, and yet insightful in regards to question of “awkwardness.” The best I could come up with was “Oh yeah? Well my Dad could beat up your Dad”… I know- LAME. Again, congratulations on your eloquent reply. Have you considered writing for Hallmark greeting cards?

• Doug says:

Now that was funny, #2 frayed and tattered…that is priceless! You have a great day Amy.

21. J. D. Pruett says:

The casts are awkward, but you and your brother decidedly aren’t! You seem pretty happy, all things considered.

22. Guess it’s not so much an awkward photo as awkward lives.

23. Brenda E says:

I haven’t seen camera angles like this since The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Or since my dad had a camera in his hand. Did all our dads have one leg shorter than the other?

24. Don says:

Broken arms aside, I think you and your brother show great initiative. Both of you are well prepared for any flooding that might occur with the spring rains.