Fish Out Of Water

May 10th, 2011

Fish Out Of Water - Behind The Awkwardness

“This was my birthday present– fins and a mask.  I’m not sure what is the most awkward part of this photo…my sister lurking in the background, my unenthusiastic stance, or the arrows on my suit pointing to my hoo-hoo.”

(submitted by Andrea)

108 Responses to “Fish Out Of Water”

1. Hoo Hoo says:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm hoo hoo

2. Elizabeth C says:

I had a co-worker who called it her bumpies. Another friend calls it her flower. I for some reason started calling it Pud, short for pudding…sounds gross explained that way!

3. Broski says:

We call is ‘junk’.

4. AwesomelyWeirdKid says:

When I was little it was always “Fanny” for the girls and “Willie” for the boys, because I live in Australia. One day my dad decided to read me those “Willy the Wimp” books… baaaaad idea!

5. Mike says:

after reading through these comments, i’m amazed at how frequently all your family members must talk about your hoo-hoo, cooch, tuppee, volvo, yoo-hoo, peeper, fanny, gogo, roody-doo, snack, twinkie, hairy taco, yumyum, knickknack, paddywhack, McV, tapatio, wiVi, cookie, peachy, and Her Majesty.

I’m thinking you probably need to spend more time watching tv, and less time conversating (sic). :P

6. Stacy says:

We call ours a “lady” lol!

7. Blu says:

Hooh-ha, & girl parts were our terms of choice. My fiancee calls it “Her Majesty.”

8. karsmom says:

We call ours a “peachy”. Not sure how it started, but that’s what my 2 year old calls hers! :)

9. Melissa says:

My sister worked in a nursing home and one old lady there called it her “Murphy”. In our family it was our “cooch” or “pootie”.

BTW – does anyone else think it sounds like a body part nickname when they talk on the news about Russian leader Vladimir Putin? “Sit with your legs together, sweetie. You don’t want people to be able to see your putin….” LOL

10. DanGoodman says:

We called it a vagini, or VJ DJ. I think vj/dj should be the name they teach in school
    and at bible class.

11. Joyce says:

This is just freaking great! Thank you Andrea and girl, you’ve got guts!

12. Bob says:

This one should be in the Hall of Fame…classic!

13. Bubba says:

I’ve heard it called a pooty poo.

14. BreakingTheSilence says:

At my house it was called a “cookie”. “Your cookie is showing”…if your dress was riding up. Watch the “Brady Bunch” girls acting awkward with their short dresses on. They were always trying to tug them down. That’s how we wore our dresses then. I never figured out why my mom called it that but now that I’m all grown up I might… ;o)

15. lorraine says:

I am a nurse and have occasion to hear many an euphemism for the female and male genital area. I have heard scores of elderly ladies refer to it as their hoo-hoo. As a matter of fact I have never heard any actual reference to it as much else in the 70+ age group. I have deemed it the professional word to use because my attempts at much else has resulted in confusion on their part. “Down there” can work if desperate to not sound like an 8 year old.

Happy you got your birthday wish.

16. Amy says:

In my family it’s a woo-woo or a Lucy.

17. Bobbie says:

As a small child, the only time I needed to refer to my hoo-hoo I didn’t know what the heck to call it. So I called it my “front fanny”. Even then I knew that was stupid, but what the heck……

• Paul says:

In Britain your fanny is always at the front. The back is your bum/ass/arse/bottom/butt etc.

• AndrewT says:

Ironically, to much of the English-speaking world “fanny” does refer to the “hoo-hoo”.

• DeeDeeDeeDee says:

Agreed. Here in Australia your “hoo-hoo” is your fanny.

• Bobby says:

Yeah, I noticed that the song “take a load off Fanny” is sung as “Take a load off Annie” in a DVD i saw of brits singing it. Then there’s the American “Fanny Pack”. Must have been a good joke over there.

• DeeDeeDeeDee says:

Yup. We aussies think it is hilarious Americans call it a “fanny”. When our American exchange student came to our school we were quite explicit it was not to be called a “fanny pack” it was most definitely a “bum bag”!!

18. justme says:

This was so me circa 1985…..back before the term “tween” was coined, but definitely not before that awkward, hormone ridden phase existed just the same.

Slumped over and unenthusiastic with a questionable haircut and a swimsuit with seemingly no regard by my hoo-hah or my….erm….”lumpiness” in the chest.

Yeahhhh those were the days. Now my kid is going through it all I can do is shake my head and try to cheer her up whenever possible.

Cheers to you and your hoo-hoo Andrea! (You say hoo-hoo, I say hoo-hah…’s ok we can still be friends)

19. JerseyPam says:

Did the flippers have built in socks?

20. Mifty says:

The theory of that suit design, as I recall, was that it would provide the illusion of curves on less shapely individuals. As you can see, it worked great.

21. me says:

I think the most awkward part is an adult calling her genitals a “hoo-hoo.”

• steph says:

Exactly my thought!

• TrishaC says:

What would you suggest, the “v” word? If you have a better euphemism, let’s hear it!

• DeeDeeDeeDee says:

Yeah, but, “genitals” doesn’t have quite the same ring now does it? Not half as funny.

• Cris says:

“Genitals” is clinical. “Hoo-hoo” is funny. What is this, a website for the Mayo Clinic? C’mon. Besides, that’s probably what she called it at the time the photo was taken, so it is both funny and appropriate when you take that into consideration.

• justme says:

I just wish humorless people would go read the Wall Street Journal or something and leave those of us who enjoy a lighthearted laugh alone.

• Mike says:

no, clearly the most awkward part is someone leaving a comment ridiculing someone else for posting a CHILDHOOD picture and using a CHILDHOOD term in the caption.

22. steven Jordan says:

The purple hoo hoo should get revenge,post something of your parents,also I like the follow up of you and your sister ideal.Really Funny!!

23. PaulaNancy says:

Those are not regulation-size fins. And where I work, it’s called a foofee.

24. NoCapes says:

I had that swimsuit, except mine was purple, green and white stripes. It was the Ocean Pacific brand (or knockoff) that was the must-have brand, directional hoo-hah chevrons and all!

BTW, the proper term is “roody-doo.”

• TrishaC says:

I think “roody-doo” deserves a team as well! My aunt called it a “kitty bluebird.” The reason why remains a mystery…

• NoCapes says:

I’ve heard “kitty bluebird” before but had no idea what it meant – now I’m enlightened.

It’s also a “grinny”or simply “downstairs.”

• lol lol says:

as a child, my sister called it her ‘front bum’.

• AbbyNormal says:

shaw-shee is the word of choice in my family, but I think I’m adopting kitty bluebird from now on, it’s much more colorful

• COH says:

My mother called it a ‘go go’ – my brother’s too. The rear end was called a hino (hy-no). Imagine MY confusion when ‘Go Go girls’ and ‘Go Go boots’ and ‘go go dancing’ came on the scene!! : 0

• Holly says:

Kitty bluebird??? HAHAHAHAHA. I told my daughter and her friend last night “put your legs together or everyone’s gonna see your kitty!”. Hysterical 12 year

• Snowrider says:

These P.C. terms are absolutely hilarious! Best laugh I’ve had all week. Thank you! “Kitty Bluebird”?! *snort* What the heck?! I heard my EX use the term “HooChee” once.

• justme says:

I’ve heard hoochee too or coochee, as my Italian in-laws say…..cooch for short.

• Sassy says:

With two daughters, we use “hooey”, “fanny”, “hoo-hoo” and “twinkie” depending on the occasion.

• justme says:

My sister in law has a Coach purse that was given to her as a gift. Being more your garden variety Wal Mart purse carrier at heart, she loves to refer to it as her “cooch”. So if we’re going shopping she’ll say “OK Hold on, let me grab my cooch”. LOL. I like twinkie, myself, original!

• Remy says:

Coochie is what my family always called, must be an Italian thing.

25. bobr says:

Could keep up with the speed of a great white with those fins. Either that or be able to walk across Lake Erie in the summertime.

26. Karlos says:

Us latch key kids grew up so outside supervision & in the infancy of MTV, this site is our ultimate revenge against parents who had know ideal what style was.

If only we had video of your parents shame! They’ve been outed.

27. ValC says:

Arrows . . . definitely the arrows.

28. shawn s says:

It’s awesome and awkward that someone (your parents, I’m sure) needed to document the birthday gift with a picture! They were so proud that they’d gotten you what you’d wanted or thought you wanted, perhaps you’d envisioned the fins in a smaller size and a color not black! :) thanks for sharing.

29. jesse brundage says:

your comment, too funny! + the suit does not seem to fit at all well, perhaps it is thrown akimbo by the giant fins??

30. Caz says:

Erm… anyone seen The Graduate?

31. CamdensGramps says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, and vote Hoo – Hoo.

32. Cheryl says:

Well, did you like your present? Can’t see if you are actually smiling under that mask or not. You look very uncomfortable!!

33. Viva says:

Another great thing about this photo, and really everything about this photo is great, is that the pool looks tiny. I’m sure it’s just the angle of the shot and the way it’s cut off, but the pool looks way too small to accommodate both the child and the fins.

34. Cam says:

Hoo-hoo? Were you standing on an owl?

35. Geanine says:

Are u going to use all that in the kiddie pool? Great pic :)

36. Jim says:

Your hoo what?

37. Snowrider says:

Oh my! Everything is funny about this! Especially your comment. I’m now having a flashback: I remember when that suit and pattern was very popular. Because of my age back then the “Hoo Hoo”/pattern relationship NEVER occured to me. Now, years later…I’m remembering how many of my girl friends had them….the suit I mean…

Please, this screams for a “where are you and you sister now” follow up comment!

• Andrea says:

Andrea here! My sister and I are doing quite well considering our dad making us pose for pictures like this. We laugh at this picture (and others) regularly. For my 30th birthday my sister threw me a surprise party and the invitation was this picture! Funny comments everyone! We’ve laughed really hard all day long…

• Snowrider says:

That’s hilarious! Perfect 30th invitation!!! I’m glad all is well. Yeah, my parents took some awkward photos of me too. I crawl under a rock every time my mom digs up my old high school diving team photos….70′s circa speedo and all! To think I used to go to the beach like that! YEEESH! I wouldn’t do that now with gun to my head….

• Bucksnut says:

Others?? There are others??? Post please!

38. Jo says:

Too funny – booty fins to boot

39. Mistymagnus says:

I also had a swimsuit like this, only mine was yellow and black so I looked like a road sign. I hated that suit.

• justme says:

Ahhh. A bumble bee colored roadsign pointing to the hoo hoo. Great! Sooo… have pics of this or what? LOL

40. Lisa says:

Looks like your sister is praying for you…she obviously didn’t pray hard enough. Geez, sorry birthday girl.

41. Steve says:

Those fins are freakin huge!

42. Sarah says:

The suit design, oh my…certainly the most awkward feature in this photo…

43. Dusty says:

Awkwardness abounds in this photo…. Wow…. good job

44. db says:

It’s the hoo-hoo part, Andrea.

45. Connie says:

I started giggling as soon as I saw the photo, and then laughed out loud when I read the caption. All my co-workers immediately gathered round to see what was so funny.

We would like to nominate this as the AFP Pic(k) of the Day!