Upside Down

September 9th, 2011

Upside Down - Family Portrait

It was the only way to get her to talk.

(submitted by Hollie)

94 Responses to “Upside Down”

1. S says:

See! Michael Jackson wasn’t the only, first, and certainly won’t be the last, person to ever dangle their baby precariously.

2. Tori says:

Add me to the this picture is awkward group… The people are cute, the photo is weird.

3. Ryne Bennett says:

Like.. why does it HAVE to be on a train track? All i can envision is a train coming full force..

4. Rachel says:

Gorgeous picture!!

5. Bruna Comin says:

HAHAHAH. Muito lindo, parabéns! :)

6. janice says:

We are soooo caught up about what other people think that we loose our inner kid and experience and imagination. We are just soooo right or righteous that we forget about being held by our arms and spinned round and round until we are dizzy or by our legs…maybe she will be a ballerina because of this or an astronaut or pilot who can define up and down regardless of where she is.. I say turn your kids upside down, spin them around and give them every experience you can if you love them make a memory and be safe but take chances and do your best not to hurt them, and if you do, say your sorry, kiss it and make it as better as you can because YOU have to live with yourself and your toe (tore) up child if you damage them. Do Not Teach Fear we have enough of that. Care is great though. Who better to turn her world upside down…Do u see the grip her parents have on her, lol…I think the title should be . WE GOT YOU BABY…NO MATTER WHAT! Hang in there cause things are not what they seem. Sorry I had to add this after reading some of those negative crazy comments!

7. janice says:

love it…how original! She will have a wonderful life looking at the world through different eyes!

8. Kerry says:

Who said babies like to be upside down? Sure some may…but not all. My son certainly doesn’t like to be upside down! This picture is really odd.

• Skip Dow says:

That’s why it’s here.

• LISA says:

Look at THIS baby’s face. She’s loving it. I had one child that did one that didn’t. Leave it to the parents to know best! imho: great photo!

• Selena says:

Okay, you said yourself that some babies like to be upside down… so, by your logic, perhaps this particular child is one of those babies?

I know my 10 month old gets a big kick out of it. (Of course, I hold him around the waist with both of my arms wrapped around him, and no where near train tracks, but still…)

9. Diane says:

They must’ve heard that holding your child upside down while kissing on a train track would bring good fortune.

10. cindy says:

NOT the time to be kissing! Such a weird photo.

11. mommmmm says:

Seriously, people? Have neither of these parents ever learned the number one basic rule of railroad safety? NEVER WALK ON RAILROAD TRACKS. Never. Did I mention “never”?

I think the first five minutes of Fried Green Tomatoes ought to be required viewing in every elementary school classroom.

• Hi ;) says:

They aren’t always in use. In my shoots I use old railroad tracks that haven’t been used in YEARS. On another note, trains are pretty loud and slow, if one was coming I would “hope” even a turtle could move out of the way fast enough. :)

• Generikerik says:

Thanks for the tip, mommmmmmmmmmm. I come to AFP for the wisdom shared by concerned comment makers.

• LISA says:

There are hundreds of miles of unused railroad track and sidings all across the country. If a a train hasn’t been by in the past 25 or you know part of the track has been taken up where it used to cross a road… you can feel safe to snap a few photos.

12. Sarah says:

Actually, I think the most awkward thing about this picture is the camera angle. I wish they’d shot it dead on instead of all catty-corner like that.

I like everything else about the photo, it’s cute. Like a previous poster said, babies like to be upside down.

13. shan says:

Headache, anyone?

Oh, and I wonder how the baby felt afterwards.

14. Brooke K says:

hahaha this is epic. There once a time and a place for railroad tracks you guys :) I took this about 4 years ago! :)

15. Cynthia says:

Hey Joe! She looks like she’s….leaning! I think the picture’s really cute though. Not diggin’ the train tracks.

16. brooke says:

Ha ha ha this is epic. …. Because i took this about four years ago. :-) couple loved it.

17. Sheri says:

Omigosh! This is hilarious! My first granddaughter was born the end of April 2011 and I can so see my son and daughter-in-law doing this!

18. Raybob says:

I think that’s fabulous! The frisson generated by the viewer’s questions of “is there a train coming?” “Will they drop her?” is just exquisite. And all well-composed and beautifully backlit.

19. Tim S says:

They’d better check the ground for loose change that might have fallen out of the pockets on her onesie!

20. Tammy says:

I surprised no one has mentioned the woman’s face, it just looks… strange.

• Carol says:

I see what you mean. Yeah, strange…

• drpepper says:

yea it has a way of looking like her forehead got cut out of the rest of the head. But I’m thinking that wonderful sunset back lighting just threw some glare on that part of her head and above her nose and so you can’t see the other eye (one eye hiding behind all that hair.). It’s a great photo. Kid was probably fussing and sometimes babies will love being upside down for a little bit and they’ll be quiet and happy!…

21. gina says:

My kids loved hanging upside down. I think it was brilliant on the part of the photographer to find a cute way to get her to smile. The train tracks do still puzzle me.

22. Brian says:

♫♫ I said upside down
    You’re turning me
    You’re giving love instinctively ♫♫

23. Alan says:

“Make a wish and pull”…Before they discovered turkeys in North America, Europeans already had a ‘wishbone’ tradition of their own.

24. Douglas says:

I think they were going for “head over heels in love.”

25. Alan says:

It was at this time little Emily said her first three words “Express train coming”

26. seen enuf says:

♫♫ “My baby takes the morning train…”♫♫

27. Kristie says:

Actually, I think the whole thing is adorable. The kid looks happy, too. :)

28. Lizzzzen says:

Another fauxtographer strikes again! This one hits nearly all of the fauxtog cliches: Train tracks, backlighting from the sun, posed kisses, and wacky kid posing. All we’re missing is a brick wall and something vintage, like suitcases or a shabby chic chair. Maybe that’s in the rest of the session’s photos.

• melissa says:

Backlighting equals fauxtography?? Noooo….props to people who can properly expose for backlight. The pose though….yeah, weird.

• coobee says:

It does look awkward… I’m pretty sure he’s holding the skirt of her dress together so it doesn’t flop over her face, but it’s not obvious at first glance.

(And now *I* feel totally awkward for having stared at it for so long trying to work it out. Yeesh.)

29. steph says:

I think he looks like Nick Lachey.

30. Steph says:

Meh. Babies like to be upside down. I think this one is cute.

31. EM says:

Someone is in darn fine shape after having that baby!!

32. Carol says:

I think I can create a movie plot based just on this picture: a twisted, psychotic thriller where on the surface everything seems so perfect and normal, but…

33. JohnF says:

Kiss. Check. (of course)
    Upside down baby. Check.
    Train tracks. Check.
    Ahh… Finally! I’m not the only person who puts large, creepy, letter logos on their family photos.

You think the “B” pattern is their family crest?

I think this really may have been an old postcard for the Boston metro area.

34. Jenners says:

They’re holding her upside down so that the butterflies on her dress will be right-side up.

35. Carol says:

I think I can create an entire movie plot based around this photo. A twisted, psychotic thriller where everything seems perfect on the surface but…

36. El Conquistador says:

She looks calm. That’s good.

37. Lindsay says:

I am guessing this is their Christmas card picture.

38. K'lyn says:

39. Ming says:

Kiss me or I’ll drop her. LOL!

40. Biff Burns says:

I dunno – she doesn’t look unhappy about it. Nice photo.

41. Ginger says:

I’m absolutely certain they love their child, and they both (especially Mom) appear to have a firm grip on her. Still, I’d have to ask…WHY???

42. KenG says:

Are they making a wish??

43. Jennifer says:

It’s odd enough that they are holding their little girl upside down, but it’s down right bizarre that they are doing it while standing on railroad tracks.

44. Vicki says:

Make a wish! Looks like they have a grip on a wishbone after Thanksgiving dinner–with hobos along the railroad.

45. Tonya says:

oh yes, and on the railroad tracks no less!! i hope someone called CPS. haha!

46. Richard Blackwell says:

Notice also that they’re standing on railroad tracks.

47. Maggie says:

The only thing that saves this pic is how happy that cute little baby looks.

48. jomomma says:

That is just awkwardly adorable!

49. Shelly says:

I kind of like this one! =)

50. Kootie says:

that poor baby is going to be in therapy for a looonng time!