The Steal

October 10th, 2011

The Steal - Behind The Awkwardness

“Here’s my wife tossing the bouquet… two of my sisters, a friend, and only a distant cousin reaching for it. Believe it or not, the flowers were caught but my sister in the center– off-hand snag. Funny thing is that everybody in the picture got hitched within five years… that is, except for the young lady reaching for the flowers.”

(submitted by Duncan)

31 Responses to “The Steal”

1. AriannaMarie says:

It happens, like at my wedding every one of my friends wanted the boquet because i was the first maried out of all of my friends and i and at my sister tracys wedding, she was the last of her and her friends to get married so no one really wanted the boquet except for my brothers daughter angie who was 7 then.

2. binkymae says:

During this toss, all of the men who came as dates of the girls are anxious. “Please don’t catch it…please don’t catch it.” In fact the date of the eager girl may have broken it off shortly thereafter. So the girl third from the right who caught it is doing the power hands and trying to appear not too interested and certainly not determined. It needs to look like fate chose her.

3. MrsCuoco says:

Not awkward. Boring. Yawn.

4. CarrieM says:

Blue dress, second from right — looks like she’s going to smack it away if it comes towards her.

5. Sidekick says:

Awww…”The Reacher” looks so desperate!

6. Anne says:

I’ve seen this happen with men and the garter toss (at a friend’s wedding, all guys hopped out of the way, leaving the 7-year-old darting by to pick it up) but not so much with women and the bouquet toss. Usually at least one woman really wants it.
    It is funny that in this case the one who caught it didn’t get married first – or second or third. What, a silly game someone thought up and a bunch of people copied doesn’t necessarily predict the future? Say it ain’t so!

7. kat says:

I think that wall in the background is awkward.

8. CH says:

Not awkward . . . happens at nearly every wedding . . . yawn

9. Amy says:

I love the expression of the pink-dress girl, as if the bouquet is her only hope for freedom.

10. Scully says:

I guess it is awkward because only one person in the group is actually making an attempt to catch the bouquet? It looks like the other 3 have no interest in being there. :)

11. Susan says:

The saying is that if you catch the bouquet you are the next to get married so normally woman are climbing over each other to get the bouquet. The fact that they are just standing there makes is awkward.

12. Jen says:

I believe the humor is in the complete lack of enthusiasm for the bouquet toss. Recall how this goes down at most weddings —a bunch of women pushing each other out of the way to catch the bouquet.

• JBee says:

I don’t know, they show that on tv a lot, but at every wedding I’ve been to no one has really wanted to catch the bouquet or garter. I ended up having to get in once because the bride through it over everyone else’s head at straight at me, and I didn’t want to look really rude and actively back away from the bouquet. I just skipped the whole ordeal at my wedding.

13. Clemmy says:

Hahaha… awkward is that none of the ladies in the back seem all that eager to catch the bouquet! Quite funny, really. I kind of share their sentiment where “gettin’ hitched” is concerned.

14. Jen says:

What’s awkward? The look on her face, the fact that girls USUALLY dive for the flowers and the one girl that is, never married! Not that hard to figure out.

• BytchEPoo says:

See I LOVE the bride’s face! I think it looks like, “Oh Gosh, I hope I didn’t fling it toward Susie over Mary b/c Mary will be SO mad.”

15. LibraryLady9 says:

How awkward! Poor girls were forced out onto the dance floor, couldn’t even fake enthusiasm for the bride!

16. erobx says:

just kind of sad :(

17. DMF says:

This is the most sedate bridal bouquet toss I’ve ever seen. Where’s the drunk girls fighting over the flowers and ripping them apart? Lack of enthusiasm = awkwardness

18. Sarah says:

I think what’s funny/awkward is that only FOUR women even went up there and they obviously have NO interest in catching the bouquet. I mean, one even has her hands clasped!!

19. Rebecca says:

Well, let’s see…NOBODY but one person wants that bouquet! I have felt the awkwardness of standing there thinking “PLEASE don’t throw that thing in my direction!!” while my date yells “Catch it, Bec!!”

20. Mellisa says:

Everyone’s just sort of…standing around looking bored, I guess that’s what makes it awkward.

21. Tracy says:

I love it when women at a reception do the opposite of mad-dash-for-the-bouquet.

22. Reina says:

I think its funny that nobody is reaching for the flowers except the one woman :p lol but the bride is cute :) nothing awkward here :)

23. Iris says:

I must be missing something…how is this awkward/funny?

24. Matt says:

So whats awkward about this? Ironic yes, but not really awkward…

25. April says: