Gone With The Wind

October 19th, 2011

Gone With The Wind - Photos

This family always exuded a Civil Warmth.

(submitted by Stacy)

42 Responses to “Gone With The Wind”

1. Jess says:

This is really pretty.

2. All hat and no says:

I like the concept.

My only observation is that the guy’s hat looks like it is a size too large

3. That Goth kid says:

lol ima be honest, i kinda like this one.

4. jennifer says:

I can relate to the girl who is sitting down. Her facial expression personifies how I feel when told my family is coming over for the holidays.

5. Lucy says:

I love the dress the girl on the left is wearing, and she has excellent posture! I think this is incredible! I’m obsessed with 19th century fashion, and my fiance and I are huge nerds, so we did a photoshoot similar to this the day we got engaged. No regrets.

6. Cranky Catholic says:

Not an Awkward Family Photo. This one is too cool.

7. Billy says:

The two in the middle seem to have gotten the Alice in Wonderland and Mad Hatter costumes.

8. Jodi says:

I love this photo. The costumes are pretty authentic and the somber look fits well with the time period. People did not smile in the old photographs because it took so long for the pic to be taken. They shutter had to be open for several minutes so it was easier to sit very still nd not smile.

9. I rather like this one — except that I really want to fix seated daughter’s one fly-away curl.
    And, as for those of you who say they look miserable, well, have you ever LOOKED at an actual vintage photo? Most folks in those look pretty miserable as well.
    And I rather like ALL the dresses. :)

10. senora_jennifer says:

Being from the south, I didn’t take this to be a southern picture. My first thought was this was an English/European setting and dress.

11. Babybel says:

Actually, the gals’ dresses are accurate for the time and kinda lovely. And Sarah’s right – in the olden-days, NO one smiled – times was hard, people! (As the brilliant Richard Pryor’s character, Mudbone, used to say, “Didn’t have no year for it – we jus’ called it, ‘Hard Times.’ ” !)

Dad sort of looks like the Trix Rabbit here, though, or the family livery driver.

• schoolnurse says:

I was thinking he was wearing his best Willy Wonka costume or maybe the Mad Hatter, it was a toss up to me.

• justme says:

I took a long time for the picture to be taken in those days, I think 2 minutes? That’s why everyone is serious. They had to sit perfectly still for that time and it’s hard to hold a smile that long!

• Biribi says:

To be technical, people did not smile on pictures, not so much because the times were hard, but because the time exposure to take the photo was really long, and it was too long to hold a smile; it worked better with a neutral expression. Plus, taking a picture was a very special and solemn moment – people did not do it many times a day like us today – so it was considered bad manners not to be serious for it. All this said, I like this picture! :-)

12. No Capes says:

It could work as an old-timey photo if it was in black and white and without the modern carpet

Ah dee-cleah, we’re at wawa with the Yankees!

13. Worst family intro for Family Feud ever!

14. LKT says:

I find it awkward that Momma would wear the peach dress with the ribbons/bows around her neck and put her eldest daughter in a the dark, matronly looking dress. How will that poor girl ever attract a beau with Momma stealing her dresses?

15. Mic C says:

Great Great Granpa Bean. Mrs. Bean. And the Teen Toots.

16. Landsy says:

It looks like the two in the middle are actually standing up and only 4 feet tall.

17. Don says:

Why is Mom and sis not letting them stand up?

18. Sarah says:

If they didn’t look so miserable, this would be a fantastic photo. Maybe they were going for authenticity with the “no-smiles” rule. Although, the color photograph sort of ruins that anyway.

19. js says:

When Mama and Daddy say “dress for dinner” … they really mean “DRESS FOR DINNER”!

20. Joyce says:

The most awesome thing about this one is your caption!

21. AndrewT says:

The cast photo for The Perfectly Sane Hatter’s Tea Party. It didn’t run long.

22. Kathryn says:

Frankly, Awkward Family Photos, I don’t give a damn.

23. Eeek, beyond the obvious in this image what a terrible crop!

24. Trisha says:

Actually I think this is awesome.

25. PeppyPilotGirl says:

I want those dresses!

26. Hewahine says:

OK – but I’m curious about the giant jukebox shaped edifice behind them – does it contain musicians (drop on your penny, the doors fly open to play a real toe tapper on fiddles and piano…)

27. Bruce says:

This is actually just a nice old-timey photo. I don’t see the awkward. :)