Married On The 4th Of July

July 4th, 2012

Married On The 4th Of July - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is my older sister Angela’s wedding. They were wearing the hats because our mother said they made everyone look elegant. My sister had a 4th of July wedding because she is a redneck at heart and that is the reason of the red, white, and blue flowers and streamers. Oh, and one of the flowers girls had just puked.”

(submitted by Terri)

21 Responses to “Married On The 4th Of July”

1. Sarah says:

I’m not sure why a Fourth of July Wedding = Redneck… What’s awkward to me isn’t the fact that it’s red, white, and blue or they have hats on. It’s the fact that they’re in heavy satin with long gloves and it’s JULY! It must’ve been HOT!

2. Know says:

It’s just programming meme of white people associated with patriotic american = wrong. That’s all these photos are doing. Many people of other races are also patriotic and frankly, I don’t think given the holiday that these photos are really that awkward.

3. Kim says:

Oh my gosh-I can tell this was early ’90s because I had a prom dress that looked just like this! LOL!

4. Brutus says:

I think the bride looks like she’s having second thoughts about the theme or the hats. THAT is what makes it truly awkward.

5. Alex says:

Shenanigans!!!

6. krissylyn says:

Since when does awkward = completely in sync with fashion of the day?

• JustMe says:

When the day was 30 years ago. Trust me, we will be awkward some day. Well, I’m awkward now….but that’s another story.

7. Karyn says:

Not really awkward as much as dated and themey.

July 4th wedding with red, white and blue
    Those hats
    The dresses
    Very matchy, matchy….

I’m sure in 20 years my wedding pictures will classify as awkward as well… and I’d be honored if someone uploaded it to AFP. ;-)

• Susie says:

What you said reminds me of the Adam Sandler movie, The Wedding Singer, where the bride had the BIGGEST 80s hair, complete with Jane Fonda era headband, and HUGE puffy crinoline veil. Even the dress over the top HUGE 80s look. It must have been fun to art direct THAT movie!

8. Cierra says:

Well I have to love this picture because we were married on the 4th of July also. This picture isn’t awkward, but it is pretty funny , and cute.

9. Valkontos says:

Not really sure what’s so awkward about this photo… :/

10. Red says:

AMURRICA!

11. Jennie says:

So cute, the bride’s bouquet looks like a headpiece for the flower girl……..they only need fireworks in the background.

12. mcthumber says:

“Oh, and one of the flowers girls had just puked.”

Not hard to tell which one…..

• Allison says:

Exactly what I was thinking!!!!

My mom did red bridesmaid/flower girl dresses for her wedding in 1976, because of the Bicentennial and all, but she would never have gone this far, especially not with hats.

More power to you for wearing this. And sorry about the flower girl.

13. BAM says:

This isn’t redneck compared to my family!

We have a family reunion every 4th of July. One year, some guy at the reunion decided that he and his girlfriend should get married during the reunion (after all, my uncle is a Justice of the Peace!).
    The guy was wearing cut-off jean shorts and a MESH shirt!!! Not sure how I am related to them but I don’t really want to know.

PS. I am from Arkansas!

14. JanG says:

Mom is right, the hats do look elegant but why is the bride wearing a headpiece that looks like a toilet brush? Despite the puke, the little flower girls look adorable.

• Biribi says:

Thank you for pointing the bride’s headpiece!!! Although personnally I think it makes her look like a French Maid. I’d be curious to see the wedding night outfit ;-)

• Susie says:

I mentioned it on another post here, but it reminds me of the wedding veil in the 80s themed The Wedding Singer — sooo poofy!! i am actually laughing!

15. NanaLee says:

I don’t get it…what is awkward?

16. NanaLee says: