Behind The Awkwardness: Made To Fit

November 12th, 2012

“This 1984 picture was the result of a Christmas I really wanted to make memorable ! Just two days before Christmas, I set out to make clothes to fit the scene so that the four of us could pose in a family Christmas picture. Since my little girl, Christina, was in her terrible twos rarely setting still for pictures at all, and our six year old son Justin, wasn’t quite as easily persuaded to pose for pictures as he use to be, I just had to take action to preserve our happy faces sharing the moment at Christmastime. This was the first and the last time I could capture a silly, but warm and tender setting with all four of us posing in a holiday picture. Today, this is “our” all time favorite family Christmas picture… and boy would I love to re-create this now that our children have grown!”

(submitted by Dianne)

Tags:

16 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Made To Fit”

1. Krista says:

I can’t help but applaud this mom for trying to make holidays special – I have small daughters and do the same sort of thing! (Wait…is this what is to become of us? Fodder for AFP????) ;)

2. Cindy says:

“Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house….”
    That’s why they’re in their jammies, of course!

3. Oppenheimer says:

Daddy using Long johns in a Christmas family picture?

4. melistopher says:

Even with the explanation, this does not make sense.

5. MaryCherry says:

Hey, Dad, I can see your halo.

6. Ajax says:

Great job preserving the happy faces. Dying to see your entire family Christmas photo collection.

7. ginger says:

and Dad’s got *what* in his left hand? ohhh the camera remote! phewww

8. engelaugen says:

I believe those are supposed to be everyone’s old fashioned sleeping clothes, as those are sleeping caps on the mommy and kids.

9. DMSHaress says:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing about the longjohns. I was expecting that she would say that she ran out of time and was only able to make three outfits instead of four because her children were such a handful and forced her husband to pose in underwear instead, but it seems apparently everyone is dressed just as she intended and she thinks that the “awkward” part of the picture was the last time they all sat together like that….

oh…

Now I might have a sad….

10. Liz says:

What a fun picture & story behind it! I bet your now adult kids have a good laugh. I admit, that I too thought…”why is dad wearing long johns?” But then I thought that maybe , due to the film aging, the color in the picture is off; & the outfit is just light colored. But it really DOES look like long johns… looking at the seam on the pants.

11. pam says:

and dads clothes are……?

• JanG says:

the word you’re trying to think of is “missing”!! *LOL* How wonderful that Daddy is in his winter undies and Mom is in her dressing gown

12. Reyadeluna says:

Why is the Dad wearing long johns? Is there supposed to be some kind of theme? The wreath looks like it’s on top of his head.

13. Simon says:

Why is your man wearing cowboy underclothes? Is this party of your family tradition?