Behind The Awkwardness: Over The Edge

April 23rd, 2013

Behind The Awkwardness: Over The Edge - Couples

“Went on a trip to the Foz de Iguacu, which is Brazil’s version of Niagara Falls. There, as with most touristy places, you can take a photo in front of a green screen on which you are later super-imposed against the falls. This photo left by previous visitors caught my eye because it’s so incredibly awkward and un-politically correct (the thought of tossing a woman in a wheelchair over the falls), but I guess I kind of admire the couple for their very offbeat sense of humor.”

(submitted by Rhys)

24 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Over The Edge”

1. Tom says:

G D That’s Funny!!! I LMAO for 15mins.

2. Gene says:

This reminds me of that scene from Mac and Me that Paul Rudd always shows when he’s on Conan.

3. Philip says:

That made my day. That is hilarious. The way the lady is holding her hands just cracks me up.

4. AJ Marshall says:

Oh heck, me & my hubby did something similar and anyone who knew us thought it was hilarious. One time at the local safari park we took a picture with the props of a jeep and a fake rhino. I don’t drive so they had me behind the wheel and had my husband on the hood of the vehicle. He had injured his knee and arm so he was all wrapped up in ace bandages and a knee brace so it looked like I ran into the animal and dumped my husband over the wind screen. I should find that pic and post it.

5. Eoin says:

It gives a whole new spin on the meaning of “pushing someone in a wheelchair”.

6. Helix says:

If she had just locked the brakes on her wheelchair, none of this would have happened – safety first, folks

7. Deserae says:

Is this implying it’s politically correct to push a man over a waterfall who’s not in a wheelchair?

8. Harry says:

Maybe it’s just me, but that’s not even remotely humorous.

• James says:

Oh lighten up! It’s not real, it was obviously the couples idea, and it’s nice to see people know how to have a good time with photos instead of the boring portrait type of pics.

• Freewheeler24 says:

I’m a long term wheelchair user. I can see both points of view. It’s good that they are able to poke fun at themselves. However, bullying and abuse against disabled people is rife. Since I became a wheelchair user, I have been abused and threatened with violence way more than I ever was as a walker. We are also being increasingly demonized as nothing but benefit scroungers in the UK media. So although I can see the funny side, I know that some people will take this pic as a message that it’s OK to treat us as disposable.

• babs says:

wow that stinks that you are being treated badly. i can see both points of view also because i truly think if i were in a wheelchair, i would have the same wacky sense of humor. I’d be the one instigating this stunt for sure!!

• Jessica says:

It’s just you. This is hilarious!

• Mia says:

Yes, it is you. When a person can make fun of themselves because they like to live and laugh and not be so uptight about everything as some people, and you don’t find it amusing, it is you who needs to not be so serious. This is very amusing.

• Elizabeth says:

Harry…look at the pictures, & you’ll see they are smiling & having fun with the whole thing. They are poking fun at themselves. And I’d guess that they have a wickedly fun sense of humor. (I salute you for having a caring feel to you though. In real life we need more folks that care!) I notice on this site, that folks views of what is funny, or what is in good taste vary a WHOLE lot!

• Bill says:

Yes, Harry, it’s just you. This is a funny photo from a couple who have a sense of humor. It actually is pretty funny! It’s great to see people with a warped sense of humor who aren’t afraid of all this politically correct garbage and enjoy life.

• Bill says:

This is legitimately one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

9. Molly says:

I think this is hysterical…not awkward………totally funny!

10. Amanda says:

It’s definitely awkward, but it’s also awesome.