Pretty in Pink

May 17th, 2015

Pretty in Pink - Behind The Awkwardness

“When I was 9, my teeth were so messed up that I had to wear “headgear” to create more space for my overcrowded mouth. The only say I had in the matter was choosing the color; either clear plastic or pink, which I hated. I asked them if there was any way possible that they could make it electric green, because apparently, that would make me look “cool.” The dental assistant shook her head and looked at the ground. I sighed and chose clear. Apparently, she checked the wrong box on the order form because when it was time to pick up the contraption, it came out of the box hot pink. Mortified, I begged my mom not to make me wear the pink thing to school. Fortunately for me, I had a very understanding mother. So, I only wore it at home and on car trips to see my grandparents.”

(submitted by Caitlin)

8 Responses to “Pretty in Pink”

1. Cheryl says:

When I was a kid, there were only two times I ever drew the line with my parents.

1. Wearing headgear

2. Carrying a book-bag to school (because that would look nerdier than carrying a stack of ten books, right?)

I feel your pain!

• Dave says:

Hey there Cheryl. Am a recent college grad with braces and just saw a posting you made a while back about once wearing headgear (as a response to a sad looking picture of a young girl locked in headgear!). As rare as it is for an adult to wear braces, I also wear a headgear as of Wednesday (yes, wearing it Wednesday night wrecked my ability to eat on Thanksgiving!). Was curious, since you said you once wore it, did you wear it or not? I’ve read that a lot of kids don’t wear it and things still work out. It’s just so hard to come home from work and don this thing. Any advice? Thanks, and sorry to bring back painful memories, lol! – Dave

2. Sandra D says:

Mine was just … brown leather. Yeah, like a horse’s bridle. My parents sent me to school in the 4th grade with my first day with the contraption and I was mortified. If there was any doubt as to the hideousness of the thing, my teacher sent home a note with me asking my parents if I really HAD to wear it to school because it was “distracting” to the class. My parents never made me wear it to school again..

• Dave says:

Hey there Sandra. Am a recent college grad with braces and just saw a posting you made a while back about once wearing headgear (as a response to a sad looking picture of a young girl locked in headgear!). As rare as it is for an adult to wear braces, I also wear a headgear as of Wednesday (yes, wearing it Wednesday night wrecked my ability to eat on Thanksgiving!). Was curious, since you said you once wore it, did you wear it or not? I’ve read that a lot of kids don’t wear it and things still work out. It’s just so hard to come home from work and don this thing. Any advice? Thanks, and sorry to bring back painful memories, lol! – Dave

3. veronica says:

I feel for you!!! I had a blue head strap and a clear chin cup! Luckily I only had to wear mine at night!!!

• Dave says:

Hey there Veronica. Am a recent college grad with braces and just saw a posting you made a while back about once wearing headgear (as a response to a sad looking picture of a young girl locked in headgear!). As rare as it is for an adult to wear braces, I also wear a headgear as of Wednesday (yes, wearing it Wednesday night wrecked my ability to eat on Thanksgiving!) and my chin cup is red. Was curious, since you said you once wore it, did you wear it or not? I’ve read that a lot of kids don’t wear it and things still work out. It’s just so hard to come home from work and don this thing. Any advice? Thanks, and sorry to bring back painful memories, lol! – Dave

4. Sarah says:

Lucky you! Mine wasn’t hot pink, but I had to wear my head-gear to school, and out in public… I’d rather deal with the pink, and wear it more privately. ;)

• Dave says:

Hey there Sarah. Am a recent college grad with braces and just saw a posting you made a while back about once wearing headgear (as a response to a sad looking picture of a young girl locked in headgear!). As rare as it is for an adult to wear braces, I also wear a headgear as of Wednesday (yes, wearing it Wednesday night wrecked my ability to eat on Thanksgiving!). Was curious, since you said you once wore it, how hard was it to wear it out? I’ve read that a lot of kids don’t wear it and things still work out. It’s just so hard to come home from work and don this thing. Any advice? Thanks, and sorry to bring back painful memories, lol! – Dave