Los Awkwardos

June 18th, 2009

Los Awkwardos - Vacation

Because when in Mexico, everyone wants a zonkey ride.

(submitted by Carol)

45 Responses to “Los Awkwardos”

1. Courtney says:

have you ever taken a picture while riding a donkey that’s painted like a zebra with a sombrero on?

2. Jeriho says:

So weird, my family took a picture at the same place when I was 3. Amazing so many people have the same experience!

3. Marlene says:

OMG, who the heck writes these captions!!!! I was pissing myself laufging and then I read the print at the bottom of the print… i had to get up and walk away before the whole dept. heard me!

u guys rock my world!!!

4. Polly says:

I have the exact same pic!! Me (2 at the time), big sis (5 at the time) mom and dad… wearing the worst of 1976 fashion! Nice to know my parents weren’t the only ones to fall victim to this painted donkey photo opp!

5. Leah says:

OMG!!! I have got to go home and dig out this picture – my family has the same exact one – and yes, the guy taking the pictures called it a “Zonkey”….

6. AL says:

Oh my gosh. I believe somewhere in our family album is a nearly identical picture with different people.

7. Dude says:

This way to the zonkey show!

8. Jujee says:

The locals overdid the tequilla again…

9. Ed says:

We did this in TJ as well, they have tons of these Zonkey things.

The odd part was the camera. It was an old school box camera with a cap on the lens. You open the cap for a second, then close it. They developed the film on the spot in a 5 gallon bucket. You get the negative, then they put it on an attachment arm in front of the box and take a picture of the negative to get the final image, then develop that in the bucket too.

We figured the picture would not last, so we scanned it as soon as we could. But it looked ok the last time I checked.

The best part was the hired help. Before they took the picture, we said “wait, the donkey is not in the picture” then some random guy came in from the side, pushing the donkey and said “He will be.” The whole TJ experience was surreal.

10. Solange says:

My mom has this exact same picture! Except it’s my sister on the donkey, and my mom, my sister’s dad, and my mom’s hippie friends.

11. Michael says:

this just looks like a good time! wish I had been there.

They should have an ackward voter (thumbs up, thumbs down thing) on here. with an overall talley of votes at the top and along side the poster’s comment. quick thoughtful suggestion.

12. MP says:

My mother (also) has a picture of this with some family members. I guess everyone’s family is awkward when they go to Tijuana…

13. Debbiesue says:

I have a family pic JUST like this!! The “Zebra” was a donkey with black spray paint on it! Good times!

• Teri says:

A zonkey (also known as zebrass, zebronkey, zeass, zeedonk, zedonk, zebadonk, zenkey, donbra, donbri, donkra, zebrinny, or deebra) is a cross between a zebra and a donkey. The generic name for crosses between zebras and horses or asses is zebroid or zebra mule. “Zonkey” is not the technically correct name for such a cross. The most commonly accepted terms are zebrinny, zebrula, and zedonk. Donkeys are closely related to zebras and both animals belong to the horse family. Zonkeys are very rare.

Apparently they aren’t that rare in TJ.

14. Penny says:

Ok, I know that my parents have a very similar picture of our family with a ‘zonkey’ in Tijiuana. I am going to have to call them tonight and get them to scan it and send it to me. So funny!

15. joshie says:

not sure why my comment wasn’t posted. Last time I checked animal known as a donkey had an additional legitimate name. Anyway, yeah, what the heck is going on here.

16. Ang says:

I have this photo (except with my family) from 1975. Same sombreros and probably the same painted zonkey! It’s on my facebook along with one from 1974…guess it was a family tradition for us? Not much smiling in my pics….

17. Kafkaesque says:

There’s a lot of reading in this picture. My eyes are tired.

18. Richie says:

I want a Zonkey!
    Wait….no stripes under the saddle?!?!?
    I’m gonna have a Zonkey, a Zog, a Zat, a Zirlfriend….this is easy!!

19. Lamech says:

The Zeedonk, or Zonkey, or far less cathcy Donbra, does indeed exist. Clearly, this is not one of them.

20. Rich says:

Aren’t you glad you used Dial?

21. Anthony says:

I remember taking my picture as a kid on one of these Zonkeys in Tijuana I was 5 years old.

22. Mark says:

I could totally tell that they were donkeys when I went to Tijuana. So we had our picture taken in a cart pulled by miniature Bengal tigers.

23. Christine Whittington says:

I have a similar picture of myself and friends in Tijuana. All the donkeys are painted like zebras. I wonder if the other border tourist towns (or, I should say, former tourist towns) do the same. We also discovered that three women (redhead, blonde, dark hair) walking down the street together are greeted with “Charlie’s Angels!” It was funny the first time…101st time, not so much.

• Sarah says:

I’m from San Diego, so I’ve seen the zonkeys a lot too–and no one seriously believes they’re zebras. I have yet to meet anyone over the age of 6 who didn’t immediately recognize what was going on!

I’ve also gotten the Charlie’s Angels shtick, even when it’s two brunettes and a redhead.

24. AG says:

I’m gonna go with not so much awkward, but AWESOME!!

I’m actually feeling jealous that I’m not in that picture!

25. Lindsay says:

Is it just me or is that a painted donkey?

26. DeadPan says:

2 week family holiday to Mexico = £1,600.00
    4 oversized, novelty sombreros = $20.00
    Finding out your $500 chance of a lifetime zebra ride is actually
    a painted donkey ride = priceless

• Maya B. says:

What do you mean “family holiday to Mexico”? You mean these aren’t locals wearing their everyday attire?!

27. msumissa says:

Yo, let’s paint a donkey to look like a zebra, the stupid American tourists will never know!

28. Kate says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s a donkey painted to look like a zebra. :P It’s a faux-zebra.

29. Foghatdw says:

“Initial attempts to limit the spread of the swine flu by wearing a sombrero would prove futile.”

30. El Kev says:

$10 says that the guy in the middle wearing the dark clothes has the imprint of an axe on his stomach.

31. Andrew says:

I saw these in Tijuana, they’re not zebras, just mangy looking horses painted in stripes. A very depressing site!

32. VoldemortWearsPrada says:

That’s not a zebra, it’s a Zonkey – they tell you it’s a cross between a zebra and a donkey, and I was gullible enough to believe them, until I saw one with its saddle off and mysteriously, no zebra stripes underneath!