Awkward Band Photo

June 24th, 2009

Awkward Band Photo - Co-Workers & Teams

Feeling inspired by the movie Anvil, we decided to post this photo of another form of a family… the band. Although Area 57 and their music are no longer with us, their awkwardness will rock on forever.

(submitted by James)

164 Responses to “Awkward Band Photo”

1. Hawke says:

The guy in the skull jacket is creepy as hell. hahahah

2. Swede says:

I wonder if it actually is the same photo shoot… check out the pants! They all have the same pants in both photos!

Maybe they tried to make it look like 2 different shoots…

3. Someone needs to explain to the cutting edge cool kids of society today that this is what they look like to everyone else. I am sure we don’t see these guys any different than the uncool people saw them in their day. Cool is a trend. The more cool you are today, the more your photo will end up on sites like this later.

4. jl says:

i like how their faces are exactly, really, exactly the same in both pictures

5. balefulregards says:

Sister Christian called.

She says one of you is the father.

6. John L says:

I can’t believe it. I went to college with to of these guys..

7. Dani says:

clearly the best part about this picture is skulls guy-liner. why has everyone failed to notice it??

8. nigel says:

But…..ours goes to eleven.

9. meretricious says:

OK, so skull-jacket’s the drummer due to drummer gloves, tall boy’s probably the guitarist due to the Ibanez shirt, I agree shorty’s got lead singer written all over him. That leaves two. I’m going to have to guess that weightlfter crewcut guy’s the bassist. I’ve seen too many weightlifting bassists to discount that – I think it’s due to their sense of inferiority that they don’t play a ‘real’ guitar. Also, sunglasses/vest guy screams ‘keyboards’ to me. He’s the band nerd. Also, I think his mom wouldn’t let his hair grow long, like his friends, until he moves out of her basement.

10. Tam says:

Mr. Beach Muscles is workin’ the bedroom eyes…watch out, LADIES.

• RockitQueen says:

He’s definitely the bass player. And I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that his personal hero is Evan Seinfeld of Biohazard, Oz and Supergroup fame.

11. djs says:

So one day, members of The Scorpions and Village People got to thinking about a collaboration…

12. IAmNoOne says:

I knew that live action The Electric Mayhem movie would never work.

13. The Skulls Wins says:

The guy wearing the Skull jacket is wearing the same jacket in both photos. In the top photo he has just a snakeskin vest on over it to try and vary it.

And I’ll bet the AC/DC/Kiss Wannabe is the singer.

14. DT says:

It’s like the Doobie Brothers, New Kids on the Block, Megadeath, and the Little Rascals all tossed a sperm sample into a cup to make a band.

15. Steve says:

What Band? These guys are the roadies…Test…Test.

16. Natalie says:

The short guy really deserves a few points for adding fringe to the Kiss shirt and ripping the front. He’s showing skull jacket-guy that he’s the fashion leader of the band, even if he’s not the lead singer.

17. Kristen says:

So… awkward. Mr. Shades McVesty looks like he part-times as a waiter.

What a weird group of people. They just don’t look like they fit together, not one of them. Even though three of the guys have long hair, they have the kind of faces that look like they’d clash with each other. Skulls is too into fashion, Tall-guy looks like he bikes, and Shorty probably dances to the beat of his own drum.

18. Joey says:

I think the band was on the outs with the skull-jacket guy (notice how he’s distancing himself from the group in the lower picture). Maybe they thought they could remove him from their memories permanently by setting this lovely picture on fire.

19. Capnhank says:

You’ve all failed to notice the biggest hint in the pictures: The skull jacket guy is wearing “drummer gloves”. Admittedly he’s got guitard written all over him, but unless he just pulled up in his ’79 Trans Am, I’m gonna peg him as the drummer.

Shorty is definitely the singer, of course. Dio complex.

20. s says:

It makes me happy to see a heavy metal band open minded enough to have a FTM Trans member.

21. patkerash says:

they all look like they’ve been at grandma’s house too long (see previous letter) and they need to go somewhere to unload.

22. Cathy says:

Is it just me or does Skull-jacket look a little like Chewbacca?

23. Rockwell says:

When is the reunion tour!!!

24. Tim says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess the guy in the jacket is the drummer – note the jammin’ drum gloves and that he’s wearing the SAME jacket in both, proving his coolness!

I also admire the “We may not being conventionally good-looking, but FEEL THE POWER!” looks on their faces. A sure sign of just how HEAVY they really were!

Rawk on, boys!

25. Amice says:

Oh the years I would have spent longing for that jacket, to wear with my black & white checkered Van’s, to complete my utter white-girl-in-the-suburbs poseur look….

26. jules says:

“OK guys, all of you stick your hands or thumbs in your pockets and you’ll look really cool.”

“Not me”, says the tall, short haired dude. “I’m too cool already for that.”

27. Olson says:

OR…perhaps he has several jackets with interchangeable, zip-off sleeves!!!!

28. Olson says:

Hmm…the jacket guy may not be wearing the same jacket in both pics. I noticed that the color looked a little different, but I chalked that up to lighting. Then I looked closer. In the second pic, the front of the jacket has skulls just like on the sleeves. In the first pic the pattern looks different, but I can’t figure out what it is.
    So, it looks like he either brought two jackets that were nearly identical to the photo shoot OR perhaps it’s one jacket that is (dare I think it?) reversible!

• Littlered says:

No, it is a different jacket. Look at the front panel. In the 1st photo, it’s a sort of snakeskin print & of course, it is so cool to leave the zipper tab half way up the zipper! The 2nd photo has skulls all over. It’s not lighting, they are two different jackets. Guess he only had time to check out one rack in the store when buying his photo shoot outfits.

• RockitQueen says:

Actually, I think he just put a snakeskin vest over the skull jacket in the first picture and transformed his look by taking it off in the second.

29. Señor_Citizen says:

Lynyrd Skynyrd? Meet The Scorpions.
    Scorpions? Meet Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    Great. Now go start a band together.

• Cloud says:

LMAO The Scorpions being my all-time favorite band, they’re exactly who I thought of when I saw the short guy. Klaus Meine FTW! ♪ Take me, to the magic of the moment, on a glory night, where the birds of tomorrow fly away, the ones you cannot change. ♫

• Sammy says:

Oh, hell to the no. You did not just rip on Skynyrd.

30. greeneyes says:

Notice the ‘awkward’ space between ‘skull jacket’ guy and the others in the second photo. Everyone else brought a change of clothes but he wouldn’t change. Some words were exchanged and before they knew it, it was time for another shot. This may very well have been the last photo shoot for the band…

31. heather says:

Look how someone tried to burn the last photo. Even fire couldn’t destroy Danny Bonaduce and the creepers.

32. Pippa says:

i love the skull jacket!!

33. Denise says:

I like their less-than-subtle rejection of Skull Jacket guy in the second picture.

34. Hotsyhotcakes says:

The second photo looks like the band is all dressed up for a visit to Chili’s or someplace to celebrate how much they rock.

35. Hans Moretti says:

Awkward? I don’t think so. These are some of the better band photos!

36. Hannah says:

It looks like they’ve just done a mirror image of the fat guy in the jazzy jacket, lol

37. girlgeek says:

Day-um! I thought that it was supposed to be one of those BEFORE and AFTER makeover pictures. Clearly, not makeovers took place that day.

38. Jaybyrde says:

And so it was, in Rivendell, the Fellowship was forged. They set out for Mt. Doom. But which way? And Gandalf said, “Let the Ring-Bearer decide.”

39. Nell says:

You reckon’ he bought that skull jacket at full price or half price? Its a mighty fine jacket so I’d say its worth a large price tag.
    Also, the guy wearing the sunglasses in the first picture went for a more relaxed look, when in the second picture he surely was going for the “Did you clean your room?” kind of look.
    How completely rock and roll.

40. Spork Toast says:

I like how they made the drummer kneel down in front so that Mike the mini-man wouldn’t look quite so short.

41. Meredith says:

ah, the “leg up”, the short guys refuge in a tall, tall, world.

42. MacBastard says:

That short dude? He’s got lead singer written all over him….

43. Robby says:

I keep thinking wardrobe change, different shoots perhaps? But Skull-Jacket is just too cool to own more than one change of clothes. And is he wearing a wig?

• Morag says:

His hair is pretty astonishing, I have to say. I’m afraid I don’t think they look cool at all. TI think they think they look cool. Which is a different thing.

• Spilo says:

My first impression was the he’s wigged up too.
      I’d say these were both shot on the same day because they’re all wearing the same pants in both shots. Jolly Roger just forgot to bring an extra shirt, or was too METAL for an extra one.

• Matt says:

Actully, it looks like the others only changed shirts and kept the original pants and belts.

44. Leigh says:

Ladies and Gentlemen… the stunt crew from Lost Boys!

45. Daver says:

It looks like two different bands… I wonder what kind of music you get when you mix White Lion with New Kids on the Block?

46. Mel says:

While the guy with the large biceps could be the drummer, I would lay money that it is actually the short guy who was the one in the back pounding the skins… I’ve dated enough drummers in my life to know he’s got that “overcompensating” look about him. And what is with that plain background? Didn ‘t they know all bands had to be photographed in front of a brick wall??

• emm says:

i think skulljacket might be the drummer–hes wearing those ‘drummer gloves.’ either that or he is merely there to move the equipment…

47. Jennie says:

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For God’s sake, why would you post this? Now I won’t be able to sleep. The guy in the jacket will haunt my dreams. He’ll just be standing there, hands in his pockets, right at the edge of the room… looking at me.

48. Britty says:

Why does the short guy have his leg up in both pictures??
    They do look pretty cool…

49. @janejax says:

I’ve been in bands and yes they are a family. I am always telling my “brothers” Don’t wear a shirt with someone else’s logo on it! Why is the guy in a hat wearing a Kiss shirt? Promote your own band dummy! There is no hope for the skull jacket guy.

50. lexi278 says:

OOh……………………..these guys are HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. Sarah says:

“This” would have been a clever word to use in that sentence…