Awkward Class Photo: Teacher’s Pets

September 2nd, 2009

Awkward Class Photo: Teacher’s Pets - Kids

One way to get closer with your students.

(submitted by Anony)

• In • 165 Comments »

165 Responses to “Awkward Class Photo: Teacher’s Pets”

1. CSA says:

To all those with negative comments…pull the corn cob outta yer a**..this pic is hilarious!

2. Joey says:

What is this? The Breakfastclub Redux?

3. Emily says:

Oh wow. She’s in there like swimwear.

4. Anna says:

Hah. This reminds me of our school photos. We always took two: one normal, the other ‘humorous’. Our schoold didn’t even hire a professional photographer – one of the teachers, who fancied himself a photographer, took them.

5. Anne says:

This is wrong on SO many levels …

6. sbk says:

OKAY, everyone. I am in this photo. Let me dispel the assumptions and weird accusations. (Inappropriate? Hardly.)

This photo was taken in 1994. Fifteen years ago. Yearbook class. We took about a half dozen shots, playing around with our poses. Some traditional, some goofy, and some more “on the edge.” We were teenagers–underage kids–in the era of grunge and apathy. Are you *really* that shocked by it?

And, yes, our age 50+, 5’1″ teacher laid across some laps of some girls in this pose. No one, except on the creepy posts of this website, thought that it was sexual in nature. Yet another example of how our society is deteriorating into a nation of overly sensitive, affected wankers.

Is the photo funny? Yeah, kinda. Angst-ridden? Sure. Insanely weird, perverted, or inappropriate? Give me a break.

• KLH says:

Would you mind posting what school or city this is in? The standing girl on the left looks a lot like my now deceased cousin.

• Disturbed by Comments says:

Yes, I was shocked at some of the responses on this thread. The picture isn’t disturbing, but the minds of some of the commenters sure are. It’s gonna give me nightmares.

Also, to make that kind of comment when you know that some of the people in the picture will READ YOUR COMMENTS. Sheesh!

7. moundella says:

OMG I think I went to school with those people. They were higher grade than me but I think I know them. O_O

8. Alekx says:

This is totally the drama club.
    They’re trying to “fill up the empty space” like
    they always do in warm-ups.
    Hah!

9. Monica Key says:

Who says the Audio-Visual Club can’t party hard?

10. Johhny Boy says:

Breakfast Club anyone?

11. ashley says:

back row.
    girl on far left..folding her hands? next to her..is that black lipstick? next to her..nice facial hair! next to him..sleevelessness even though like everyone else is dressed for colder weather. next to her..must i comment? next to IT…bedhead? and the end is keeping a deep dark evil destroy-the-word secret.

12. Allie says:

My AP English teacher did something like this in our class photo. She didn’t lay across anyone’s lap, just posed laid out across the floor in front of us in a red dress and pumps. I didn’t really think anything of it then, but anyone who sees it now is like “Uhhh…what’s up with your teacher?!” I should dig it out and post it.

13. DLo says:

The student-to-bad sweater ratio is dangerously close to 100%!

14. Beth says:

This is the 90′s not the 80s psh…

15. Billy K says:

Reminds me of Weekend at Bernie’s…

“If everyone thinks Mrs. Jenkins is still alive we can goof off the rest of the semester!”

16. Megalynn says:

Some of those kids look like they’re ready to kill someone.

17. John Dough says:

I love the symmetry of the front row.

18. Spez says:

I feel like the 80s/early90s vibe here is more awkward than the teacher.

Apparently last-guy-to-the-right-of-the-middle-row doesn’t like having Ms. Nyntee’s head in his lap.

19. pdigm says:

Haha, I knew this had to be a photo from the early 90′s… Those were the days.

20. James says:

So No One Told You Life Was Going to Be This Waaayyy. CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!

21. mule says:

forget the ‘touching students issue’ omg at the Teacher’s hand!

• Carole Linton says:

You are all too silly.Way old enough to be far removed from this kind of ignorant speculation and insinuation. It is all healthy, innocent youth, we grow. Hopefully! Whadda ya mean “the teachers hand placement”? What kind of poop are you insinuating into this typical, innocent high school photo? Geez! You are not that mysterious, unique, nor terribly thought provoking.

• D says:

Healthy & innocent huh??? I’m not a teacher, but Ihave raised four boys who always had lots of friends over–boys and girls. I’ve never had the urge to take a picture with them with me in a “reclining” position..I don’t think it’s the youth we need to worry about in this pic…but then, maybe it is! Could be why there are so many solemn faces…..LOL…

• Angie says:

I *am* a teacher, and even though I think this is basically an innocent, goofing-off kind of picture, I would NEVER have made the same choice with my students. We can laugh, we can joke, we can have fun, etc – but to *lie* on top of them, which is basically what she’s doing? I’m guessing that even in 1994 she was told this wasn’t a very smart thing to do (after the fact, unfortunately). Today? A ‘reprimand’ would be the least she could expect. Sometimes we hug our kids, sometimes they get a pat on the back — I’m not one of those people who thinks teachers should NEVER touch their students — but the very awkwardness of this photo is enough for me to recognize its inappropriateness, and I would guess I don’t have a single colleague who would disagree.

• Tre Kroner says:

“…but the very awkwardness of this photo is enough for me to recognize its inappropriateness, and I would guess I don’t have a single colleague who would disagree.”

Wow. I seem to have stumbled across a website where the concepts of “context” and “reasoning” have been completely suspended.

The jokes about the teacher’s pose, while obvious and lame, are harmless. It’s the comments by posters voicing actual concern about the silly pose of a tiny 50-year-old woman in a picture for yearbook posterity that are frightening. Seriously, I’ve gotta ask — how did you get your Internet to work from all the way back in the 1950′s?

That said, making fun of each and every one of these SHS grads is encouraged. Just remember, “There but for the grace of God go I somewhere in public wearing that sweater.”

• Kari says:

This would be under the category of awkward if it is all just students. Then we could giggle over the clothes and hair and jewelry to our hearts content and pretend we NEVER did the same ourselves ;-)
        If the reclining individual is indeed a teacher as folks are assuming, then this is actually very inappropriate, and NOT typical.
        Posing a class like this for a photo nowadays and then (as a teacher) sprawling yourself on their laps would sign you up for a talk with the principal, if not a reprimand or a lawsuit.
        I would not feel comfortable with any adult posing with my child in this manner.

• Spritely says:

I actually thought Carole was joking, due to the overly dramatic hyperbole of her rant.

Good God, it’s scary to think about who is teaching the kids nowadays.

22. Princezz says:

Uh….unfortunately I am one of the people in the picture…I will refrain from identifying exactly which zombie I am. The year was 1994, and we were the Yearbook team. *shudder* I can’t believe this was EVER published.

23. Dora says:

Librarian and her library helpers.

24. lagrange says:

where’s the rest of the breakfast club?

25. Katie says:

Ummm…. no, not 80s. No, not 1990. This TOTALLY looks like 1995. At least what 95 looked like in small-town Wisconsin. Love it! How’s this: It is art club, but not a real teacher. Instead it’s a life-sized doll made to look like her.

26. Larkin says:

Too bad we can’t see them now. That would be funny

27. Kat says:

Maybe their the “C” squad cheerleaders..they cheer at chess matches,debates, and math-a-thons?

28. Tiffany says:

This is the photo from the “Head of the Class” pilot show. Obviously, a re-cast was in order.

29. Dank says:

Only about half the students seem to have gotten “wear your best sweater for the club picture” memo.

30. Rod says:

There is just way too much going on here, particularly with the poses. i am glad the girl in the front center is wearing that white undershirt, otherwise we would have gotten quite a view!

• Pipergirl says:

There’s something strange going on with all the girls in that front row – strange army handy overlappy placement. Have we gone past the arm shelf and into the realm of the arm-column?
      And was this strange photo opportunity just a decoy while the boys in the back row stole half the library books? Or did they cut the library buget to fund “Creating appropriate boundaries with your students” classes?

• D says:

I had to look twice at the girl in the front center….for a minute I thought I was flashing back to a Madonna video….lol

31. Nick says:

The majority of this group looks a little strange to say the least. I’m guessing this is the drama class.

32. Michelle says:

DRAMA CLUB FOR SURE!

33. Lyle says:

There is way too much hair and way too much fabric in this photo.

34. Catherine says:

My So-Called Awakward Life

35. Modine says:

I don’t remember seeing the Lap Shelf move before. Don’t need to see it again.

36. Chris B says:

My guess would be ‘Yearbook’ or school newspaper. The poor teacher looks like she is paralyzed and was gently set on the pile of students.

37. Adam says:

Everyone in this photo is dressed like Darlene from “Roseanne.”

38. PRM says:

Hey, Hey, Hey, HEEEYYY

Breakfast Club 2: This time it’s for Brunch!

39. Becky says:

This is just painful to look at. So much awkwardness is giving me a cramp!

40. eve says:

Why debate club IS cool.

41. Queen of the World says:

In a nutshell, it was 1990. ‘Nuff said.

42. Max says:

this looks like it was taken from soviet ruusia

43. Lynda Kaye says:

Alrighty then. That “pose” for an educator is totally inappropriate. When I was in school, I can distinctly remember a professor saying, “Do NOT EVER EVER EVER touch a student. Keep your hands to yourself. This goes especially for pre-pubescent and adolescent students who read things into your behavioros.” WOW!!!!

• Anne says:

Most education professors have either NOT been in a public school class room or only deigned to teach in one to justify being education professors. Some education graduate programs DO require doctoral graduate students to ACTUALLY teach K-12. Usually, they have to teach for THREE WHOLE YEARS to get a doctorate and the privilege of teaching teachers how to teach.

Three years.

I teach high school. Sometimes, the kiddos want a hug. Despite the wise counsel of education professors, I hug them back. I’m old enough to be their mother, and they’re like my own kids.

Wow.

• Utah says:

Yeah, that has to be illegal…

44. Deb says:

Ah, the ’80′s. When the sweaters were synthetic, but the facial expressions weren’t. They’re LIVING it, man.

• Kate says:

Glorious!

• Allie says:

80′s? Nah…early 90′s. I totally remember having hair like that. *shudder* And I went to school with kids who wore dog collars as well, right along with their Doc Martens combat boots and trench coats. It was a goth thing.

• Katherine says:

This is absurd, but I for one vote to reinstate that particular style. With the trenchcoats et al, I mean. Not necessarily the hair.

45. Patti says:

Has anyone noticed the tall guy, in the back row, is wearing a dog chain cleverly disguised as a pendant?
    Most of the boys look depressed, this HAS to be the ART club.