The Onion 2

November 10th, 2009

The Onion 2 - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

Welcome to the carnival.

(submitted by Rachel)

207 Responses to “The Onion 2”

1. Lois says:

This is actually the best family photo I’ve ever seen! It’s the kind of photo that was snapped after a long session in which the photographer tried in vain to get everyone looking at the camera and then finally said, “Screw it! They’re not paying me enough for this!” *click*

2. Kim says:

Oh the memories , it could pass as one of my families loving group shots-minus one brother giving me the “finger” over my head,while the other one made a face-with me smiling my most dashing smile,clueless of what my brothers were doing to me behind my back.

3. J.R. says:

This reminds me of the opening credits to the great show ‘Soap.’

4. Just Bill says:

It’s like if William Hogarth wad alive in the seventies.

• Evan says:

I checked out the comments just to see if anyone had made an art history reference! Hogarth’s perfect too:D

5. Nae says:

2 words: Norman Rockwell

6. Jonathan says:

I can’t get over how amazing this picture is. Something about it…. I want it framed… no, I want to make a movie based off this photo.

7. scriptologo says:

Jeff Wall could have done this…. Great!

8. naynay says:

Love it, absolutely love it. It reminds me of a family portrait we tried to do one year- my step daughter brought along a toddler who she was babysitting, and the kid was left strapped in a stroller crying while we all tried to ignore the distraught kid and get a decent photo- then my son who was around 6 at the time kept making goofy smiles, and each shot, somebody would think they looked fat, didn’t like the position they were sitting in- whatever. We took like 50 pictures. In the end, I had to tell my son not to smile, and he looks like he was in a mug shot, while everyone else just looked pained. I’ll try to find that thing…’s pretty damn awful…

9. D says:

I love the woman holding the dog. She isn’t even going to TRY to restrain him.

10. Dan says:

Ok, lets try this again! Take number 3,046. Everyone take their places! Click, crap not again.

11. Peta says:

Meet the Tenenbaums

12. MRc says:

Hahaha best photo ever!. srsly this one tops them all.

13. Sara says:

This is an absolutely gorgeous picture. The bright light in the middle, to the metallic grained background, seriously, this is a beautiful family portrait.

14. Missy says:

I think the beagle thinks that lady is a pork chop.

Seriously, as chaotic as this picture is, this is actually a very well choreographed photo. It illustrates the “real” family photo so well. :D

15. Maldoror says:

Photographic study for the last Norman Rockwell painting.

16. Eric says:

This isn’t awkward. It’s cute, because it’s reality. They clearly have a sense of humor.

17. eww says:

you gotta admit, those purple and white shoes are ILL!

18. Heather says:

Aah, too many wins to point out.

19. Anna says:

I freakin’ LOVE this photo…..I’d love to send something like this out for our family Christmas photo, awesome!

20. you think YOU’VE got a migraine! said the photographer to the orange shirt guy

21. Jeff says:

As soon as I saw this I thought…. “Norman Rockwell”! It has all the characteristics of a Rockwell painting, no matter where you look, there is something interesting happening. This is my screen saver now…..

22. Tiffany says:

Best. Picture. Ever.

23. Jodie says:

The lady in thee peach colored jumpsuit is wearing knit slippers. They were all the rage in the ’70s. My mom used to make them, they were uncomfortable and never stayed on, but you could come up with some verrrry stylish designs.

24. Kate says:

Notice the lady in the peachy colored jumpsuit’s shoes.

I love this photo. I wonder if it was staged…. or if the photographer took it when no one knew?

25. Shannon says:

The Onion really did their best job of portraying an American Last Supper. I love it. So appropriate.

26. Samantha says:

I adore this. Even if it is staged, it’s the truest formal family portrait I have ever seen.

27. onewhoreads says:

I always snap on “2″ and/or 2 seconds after the official exposure. People are much more interesting when they’re not posing than when they are, but even more so when they’ve just finished posing.

28. Brad says:

The Aristocrats!

29. glasstabletop says:

I had those same shoes and white tights ….and maybe even the same blue dress. Hey!!

30. Michael says:

This reminds me so much of a Norman Rockwell painting. Every person has such a unique and interestingly animated expression.

31. Dawne says:

Not that any of these photos are intended for competition; but, I just don’t know if it can get any better than this…..

One of the best family photos- EVER.

32. just another mommy says:

I love to take pictures at weddings of the photographer trying to get the family all together and smiling. They always turn out the best!

33. Clazz says:

LOL I love how the one guy is just looking at the camera as if nothing is happening.

• Summer says:

Totally. I was looking at Mr. Greenshirt’s steely gaze and thinking of the song, “Ain’t nothin’ gonna break my stride. Ain’t nothin’ gonna hold me down…oh no…I got to keep on movin’.” Love it.

34. Meghann says:

Definitely looks like a starting pose from the old Family Feud. Haha! :)

35. suzushii says:

The gestures look so theatrical,

it reminds me of the Last supper by Da Vinci I don’t know why.

36. DeannieDorko says:

I hope Grampa is still with us to enjoy the kudos he is getting for this fabulous portrait!

37. JaneDoe says:

That reminds me of my family. Way too many of us doing way too many different things at a time. It’s a full-time job to get all of us to sit down and shut up long enough to watch a movie.

38. alanhb says:

Same as James T! Not the play part, but I totally thought this was staged! I looked and looked at it before I moved on and almost navigated away, but I wanted to take another look because it was so funny.
    Only after I read some of the comments did I find out, and I have doubts, still!
    It’s hard not to imagine the inner dialogue of everyone in the photo. This photo will make you famous, if it hasn’t already.