Three Of A Kind

December 1st, 2009

Three Of A Kind - Siblings

They couldn’t wait to be old enough to get their very own chokers.

(submitted by Stephanie)

126 Responses to “Three Of A Kind”

1. Steve says:

I suddenly feel like a bowl of Count Chocula.

2. Paula says:

Hahaha! Goth alert!

3. PTSD says:

You guys just don’t understand how hard it is growing up in the suburbs. LOL!

4. MaxandAlex says:

Anybody else thinks she looks like she was in the Broadway revival of Cats??

5. germanee says:

this is a nice picture, not awkward at all

6. Drea says:

Of course there are happy goths. I’m a happy goth. When you have the freedom to express yourself the way you choose, having your outsides match your insides and being an authentic person. Having people that love and accept you appreciate who you are is a great reason to smile. it’s the feelings of lonliness alienation and awkwardness that keep that angst riddled look of perpetual pain plastered to their faces, not the things that are a matter of taste(i.e. music art fashion) and perspective.

7. Chajiko says:

This picture is adorable. Seriously, you all look so happy and are so plainly comfortable with yourself and with each other. WHat a happy-looking bunch of siblings!!

8. Keighla says:

Just wanted to pitch in with the fact that, no, not everyone ‘grows out of it’.

Sure there are plenty of teens who go through a rebellious phase just to shock their family or because they want attention. But please don’t assume that all Goths are just temporary products who will leave it behind in a few years and not look back.

I started dressing Goth when I was about 15, and I’ve never outgrown it. I’m 28 and married now, and I still have just as many piercings, makeup, and black clothing as I did when I was younger. :) I take pride in the fact that I was not just following a trend for the sake of it, but this was truly who I am and it’s never going to change.

9. Snarkitty says:

Hahahahaha This could be me and my family :D

I’m (still) gothy, my sister had the rainbow shirts and cropped hair going on, and my brother has dark hair and wears glasses. Too bad I don’t have a picture of the three of us together. So strange and amusing to see the same thing going on..

10. James says:

Okay, I’ve been looking at this picture for a good minute now, and I still can’t get over how freaking cute the ‘goth’ is! Now where I did I put “Cutest Goth Ever” award?

11. Jenny says:

One of this things is not like the other…

12. Michelle M says:

Goths are people, too.

Seriously, though, I’m 35, married, mother of two, and I have several facial piercings and lots of tattoos. With my syle of dress I look like a kid hanging out at a show watching a band.

I’m also working on my Master’s in neuropsych.

For some, dressing this way is simply a period of experimentation during the process in which adolescents are trying to find an identity. Some decide that this IS their identity.

Some people actually wear what they like and not because they are trying to draw attention.

13. jesi says:

aww this is so cute :)

14. Cierra says:

I love that the lip color matches the eye shadow color!

15. jim says:

I love how the hair blends into the background.

16. Cee says:

I really like this photo. The goth girl and her siblings look genuinely happy. Its a snapshop of who those people are at that moment, and it’s beautiful. :-)

17. zombie ninja says:

I love this picture because all of the kids actually look pretty happy. Even Goth girl has a little smile. It’s sweet and I think it shows a nice acceptance of who she is on the parents part.

18. April says:

I am that different sibling. My siblings and I get a long fine. My sister says it best. “We were all made by the same tailors, you were just cut from a different bolt of cloth.” :0)

19. Ali says:

One of these things is not like the other…

20. Bean says:

Goth girl has got to be the middle child. This could have been a picture of me and my sister and brother, had my parents let me be me…. but then, I look like this is most pics :| No smiling.

21. Sunny says:

One of these thing is not like the other…

22. Stephanie says:

This is my photo and I promise it’s real! My mom wanted us to take a group portrait because it was promo at the local supermarket for one free picture. Of course they send back others to get you to buy more, which my mom did because she couldn’t stand the idea of returning the extras of us to be shredded!

23. Cyn says:

I actually love this picture. It’s really sweet I think. And older sis has that great “If you squirts don’t stop poking me” nearly escaping grin. I’ve had that look with my little sister just before we burst into laughter… ticking of mom/photographer. LOL

OH and I LOVE her hair! But hey, what do I know… I’m still rocking an afro in 2009. LOL

I say Goth on, with your bad self! And hurray for parents that can raise three kids that look happy.

24. Bonnie says:

I love this picture! I think mom and Goth girl had an agreement: you can dress how you want as long as you smile. I wish my parents had been as accepting of me.

25. Thoth93 says:

She’s got a date at midnight with Nosferatu.
    Oh baby, Lily Munster ain’t got nothin’ on you.

26. Suki says:

is that Abby from NCIS?

27. Alice says:

OMG my mother has a photo eerily similar to this one hanging in her home, tragically I was the “happy goth” in that one. She let me dress however I wanted – but documented every fad with photographs she proudly displays all over her home. My family will never let me live it down.

• Dogdancing says:

Holding out on us Alice? submit your pictures! we wanna see then now. Tell you what I’ll go see if I can find the ones were me and my sister went through a “wearing turkey nets” for hats phase.

• Ruthie says:

Yes, please, Alice :)

• Alice says:

Well, it would be a good opportunity to get them off her walls…but it wouldn’t be the first time I tried, she’s probably on to me by now. ;-) But if I do, it will definitely have to be the one with the choker (much like above), blue and purple striped hair and a shade of foundation my mother dubbed ‘rigor mortis’…..Oh the shame.

28. james says:

Adam Lambert- the junior high years.

29. Denise says:

Nice tribute to Flock of Seagulls. I’m feeling nostalgic.

30. lurking_llama says:

I meant the Harry Potter trio…awkward for everyone involved there. :-)

31. dooger says:

This photo would be a great tool for use in a class on diversity. It’s awesome! Go goth girl!

32. Ed says:

Abby from NCIS before she became famous.

33. Joan says:

What’s awkward, to me, is the goth girl’s hand placement. Why isn’t it on the shoulder? Why is it so on her chestal area??

• chickybabe says:

It looks like it was slightly photoshopped… you can see the middle girl’s shoulder THRU goth girl’s abdomen.

• Tracy says:

Yeah i agree. Im not one to call photoshop often. But I think (depending on how old this pic is of course) that maybe it was some retouching that didnt go well.

• Katie says:

Goth girl is standing at an angle with her sister’s shoulder against her stomach. It’s not PS, I’ve been in photos with similar positioning (we had a big family and they always made us squeeze in).

34. Jane says:

I think more awkward than the goth sis is the placement of the goth sis’ hand..

• Katie says:

That was my thought, too! The contrast between “normal” and “goth” is funny (and it’s a cute sibling shot in general), but where the photog had her put her hand is awkward!

35. Rebekah says:

“One of these things is not like the other. One of these things is not the same!!”

36. chel says:

I love this so much! I actually think it’s super sweet!

37. Geral says:

Goth girl was photoshopped into the picture. That’s why she looks so out of place.

38. Just wonderin' says:

There are so many things to like about this picture! I love the way everyone looks so happy and comfortable with each other. You know the parents are supportive of the kids if they look so at ease with themselves. Overall, I find the picture endearing, not awkward. And I agree – she is the happiest goth I’ve ever seen!

• Marc's Nymph says:

I so totally agree. I would be proud of all three of these kids if they were mine and how sweet is it that they all agreed to take this pic for their parents.

39. Donna says:

I love the fact that the goth chick would pose for a picture with her siblings and (sorta) smile. And I agree with Lauren. They do look like sweet kids. Great awkard picture.

40. Carol says:

The Goth sister is kind of shocking at first, but, I agree it’s not a bad sibling photo. Then I saw goth girl’s hand a little awkwardly placed on sister’s chest region…

41. Jon says:

Their childhood games were almost exclusively “Duck, Duck, Goth!” variants.

42. Peggy says:

looks like she’ll sprout wings and fly away into the darkness any minute!

43. Holly S says:

It’s the offspring of Becky, Darlene and D.J. with their very own sitcom, coming soon!

44. Lauren says:

I LOVE this picture. I think it’s adorable. They look like very sweet kids.

45. thepilferer says:

she the happiest goth i’ve ever seen!

• ann o. nymous says:

She grew up to be on NCIS.

• Tim says:

Yeah, but isn’t ‘happy goth’ an oxymoron?

• Mary says:

That’s what I thought. I mean, where is her scowl? On second though, could Goth Girl be….gulp…..their mom????

• Marusya says:

I am a mom and a *gulp* Goth. In my family pictures I never tried to be anything other than I (still) am. Today I treasure the photos with my family, especially my departed Grandmother. They were never embarrassed to be in a photo with me, even our FIVE generation family photo.
        At least it looks like she gets along with her family and is accepted however she chooses to dress.
        /soapbox

• Xac says:

Well said, Marusya. Just because someone is a goth doesn’t mean they aren’t capable of being a good parent. And goths can be very happy. :)

• Alex says:

Thank you Marusya for shedding a positive light on the subject.

My family photos are similar, considering I am goth, female, and 16. However, I do not wear black lipstick and never will.

What most people do not realize is how harmless and not freakish goth is.
          Goth is based on the music, and many deathrock and batcave bands sound eerily mainstream.
          I urge anyone who is uncertain about goth to listen to the band “Specimen”. They are one of the most popular goth bands and many people are surprised at how “normal” they are.

• Tracy says:

Its not always based on music. I just loved the way the clothes looked, so I dressed that way. Heck, I liked Hanson.

• zombie ninja says:

On that same note:

I was always one of the “freaks”. My mother HATED my Converse. In the last couple of years (after I had my son) they became a joke and something she loved.

Shortly before her death my husband, 17 month old son and I had a portrait made for her where we’re all wearing black Converse. She loved it!

• butcherbaby says:

My Grandma had been a flapper in the 20s, wore red high heels & blue nail polish in an era when people thought you’d go to hell for it, and loved fun and partying. even in her 70s she still wore hot pink & turquoise, false eyelashes, & big, gaudy jewelry. she loved the way i looked, she thought it was great, crazy thrift store clothes, wacky colored hair, mohawks, whatever- it was all great to her. i think it was in my mid-late 30s that my parents finally realized i was not going through a “phase”. X-D

• I’m 30 and my mom has yet to realize I’m not going through a “phase”. I still dye my hair pink, finally got my labret pierced (Xmas pres. from hubby, after wanting it for several years – already have a few other facial piercings) and wear all kinds of crazy stuff (yes, I still shop at Hot Topic too. ;) Yet some people in my family still choose to try to use the “backhanded compliment” method to change me into their idea of whom/what I should be.

Funnily enough, I’m very conservative politically and morally, am a homeschool mom of (now) 6, and thankfully I’m surrounded by people here in my new home state who love and accept me for who/what I am, no strings or judgement attached. :)

46. Freak Speely says:

This looks like a promo pic for a wacky ABC Family sitcom…COMING SOON!

Seriously, that is cute to see them all happy even though they look like relatives at random.

47. Gourd says:

On further reflection, the boy is the only one who is not wearing a dark sweater hoodie. Get with the program, bro!

48. Gourd says:

It’s always awkward when one of the kids just won’t fit in with their siblings. For weeks now, her parents have been trying to convince her NOT to dye her hair red before the photo shoot and to stop wearing those blasted rainbow shirts.

49. Gourd says:

That’s probably the best way for parents to respond to the rebellious teenage years. Take lots of pictures to embarrass them with after they grow out of it.

• Poindexter-X says:

LOL! I had a mohawk in college back in the 1980s. I love those old photos and I’m not embarrassed at all.

• rae says:

u know..most people dont “grow out of” who they are

• Olson says:

Most people aren’t “who they are” when they are teenagers.

• Girl in the photo says:

**THIS PHOTO IS NOT PHOTOSHOPPED**
        As awkward as I feel saying this, and as much as I want to kill my sister
        for posting this, I am the ‘goth girl’ in the picture and it is real.

On a funny note, the photographer at Safeway asked before she took the
        photo: “Does your mom know you look like this today?”

• roballen says:

so did you outgrow the goth phase?

• Marc's Nymph says:

You are so awesome “Girl in the photo”. Seriously. I love that you not only had the courage to be who you were back then and that you were sweet enough to pose with your siblings for a picture for your parents but that you were also courageous enough to come on here and respond.

• Halo says:

You look adorable, I’m always happy to see other Goth kid pics- I have a few myself.
          It’s really awesome that (I assume) your parents just let you be you :) Mine were really cool about it. My Mom actually dyed my hair blue when I was 14 (I’m in my 30′s now).

And, no,we don’t all “grow out of it”, for the rest of you. I may have altered it over the years, even toned it down, but I’m still me. It’s more like I grew with it.
          Can we all please stop acting like anyone that’s ever done anything fun, kooky, or odd should be ashamed? It’s really rude, and I like to come here because the pics are fun and the comments aren’t (usually) mean-spirited.

• PromisedPlanet says:

You’re all smiling, and the smiles look natural. That makes it 500% better than most “professional” photos of teenagers. ;-)

• agent says:

“Does your mom know you look like this today?” LMAO I am just remembering that exact same phrase from my youth too:)
          Your family looks sweet.

• cathy says:

Nice.

I’ll see if I can dig up my 80′s school pictures when I looked like the inspiration for Punky Brewster.

• Madness says:

Yes, but most do grow out of thinking that dressing purposely to draw attention to themselves (which they then declare — loudly — that they do not want) is the way to express one’s individuality.

• butcherbaby says:

and some of us just have odd tastes and really don’t care whether people stare or not.

• gramber says:

AMEN!

• Shannon says:

Well put.

• tbuck says:

Amen, butcherbaby. My daughter had an appearance all through high school much like Girl in the photo. Had hair every color in the rainbow, stretched her earlobes, had crazy eyliner complete with flowers, stars, or whatever. And she most decidedly did not care what anyone else thought, even though we lived in a very small town in Nebraska. Today, she is a well adjusted mother of three, makes good use of her creativity by doing hair for a living, and no – STILL does not care what anyone else thinks. And I adore her for her individuality.